Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: State specific?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MistiH
(Texas)

07/09/2006 8:00 PM  
Roger, I love this web-site and gained a lot of useful information and ideas from you and the other posters. Thank you!!

I have an idea that I'd like to toss to you. Because legalities change from state to state, perhaps different forums for different states would be nice? And then the general forum for miscellaneous topics? I've had to really dig to find items of pertinence for Texas.

What do you think?

Loving Life in Texas!
Misti
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/09/2006 8:15 PM  
Misty, I agree with you that it would be best if everyone with a question listed their state since laws can vary from state to state. When I first found this site people were more careful about posting their state.

I am glad you are getting lots of useful info. I too appreciate it and have learned much from the other posters. FYI I am not associated with the people who run this site. I'm a contributor like you with many years experience serving on Boards and as a Managing Agent.
NancyM2
(California)

07/09/2006 8:16 PM  
MistH, I too have found this web-site to be informative, and helpfull ~ Thanks to the many posters. I like the idea of having it be state specific. As laws do change from state to state. Here in Calif we have the "Davis Sterling act" which is nice, however when the HOA breaks the rules, there is no place to go with it. Unless you want to hire your own attorney, and many of us can't afford that.

Nancy M
LuciusD

07/09/2006 10:29 PM  
I am very sensitive to the fact that laws and even problems are state specific. But I think a lot would be lost if the everything was sorted by state. I'm in Colorado, but I've learned a great deal from what folks in Florida, Texas and California are concerned about.
My suggestion, instead of "segregation" by states, is that a protocol be devised to "flag" posts by state. For example, I subscribe to a health related list on which everyone is asked to append their state abbreviation to their signature. On that list I sign my posts as "Lou Day - CO". Or list management could append the state abbreviation to the names that are shown to the left. Lou - CO
LuciusD

07/09/2006 10:40 PM  
Posted By NancyM2 on 07/09/2006 8:16 PM

MistH, I too have found this web-site to be informative, and helpfull ~ Thanks to the many posters. I like the idea of having it be state specific. As laws do change from state to state. Here in Calif we have the "Davis Sterling act" which is nice, however when the HOA breaks the rules, there is no place to go with it. Unless you want to hire your own attorney, and many of us can't afford that.

Nancy M

Nancy M, Are you not acquainted with the efforts of your Senator Alan Lowenthal to enact legislation to give you a place and procedure for for dealing with non-compliant HOA's? California and New Jersey seem to be at the forefront in trying to enact "ombudsman" legislation to deal with complaints out of court. Try searching on "SB551" or possibly "AB 770". Lou Day - Colorado
NancyM2
(California)

07/09/2006 11:22 PM  
Thanks MistH ~ I do know about "SB551" I have been following it very closely ~~ to have an impartial Ombudsman oversee the HOA's ~ I was very disappointed when it lost by just one vote. In my previous postings I stated that our HOA has hired a Ombudsman/homeowner in excess of $82,000.00 a year. I don't feel he could be impartial as he is a friend of the board. I wished that bill would have passed. Thank you for your posting.

Nancy M
GeraldT1

07/10/2006 5:20 AM  
North New Jersey (NNJ) here. I agree with LuciusD that a lot would be lost if everything was sorted by state. I think the replies from people in other states provides a good persepective.

Maybe HOA Talk could have items posted to a general log (as it is now) and also have each log backed up in a State database. To do this, maybe a "Residing State" field in between the "Subject" and "Message" fields would work? Replies would only be possible in the general database. Only posts of those that reside in the same state would be posted in the state specific site. Then anyone looking for replies from state residents would be possible. Might provide some good statistics for HOAtalk as well.

GeraldT1
hoatalk
(California)

07/10/2006 5:23 AM  
Thank you for the suggestions. There is not a simple way to display the state in the forum software we currently use. We are hoping a new version will allow us to offer the members this feature in the future.

We have also considered splitting the forums and decided against it because it would dramatically cut down the number of views each post would receive. That would lead to fewer replies for each member's question. One big forum has it's disadvantages, but the major advantage is higher likelihood of actually getting an answer to one's question.

Another enhancement on the list is a message browser feature where you could easily find all messages that are specific to Texas or other topics like collections, meeting rules, reserve planning, etc. The only way to implement this will be to manually categorize each message into multiple categories. At the present time that will take 50-100 hours of work to complete, considering we have over 900 topics now. We may need volunteers to help with this, if anyone is interested.

Thank you all for your support!
HOATalk.com

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement