Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: feedback on hireing Ombudsman's
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NancyM2
(California)

07/07/2006 8:05 AM  
I would like get some feedback from this wonderful new forum I found. How many of you out their in cyber-space have found the need too hire a full time salaried Ombudsman, separate from what your Mgmt Co provides.

Also I would like to know how of your readers feel about a homeowner/friend of the board being impartial in this position. Would you consider this to be "Conflict of Interest" ?

Another question would be ~ Do your by-laws CC&R's restrict the hiring of homeowners.

I appreciate your input.

Nancy M
JulieS
(Georgia)

07/07/2006 8:14 AM  
We do not have anything in our documents that do not restrict who we hire for anything.
GeraldT1

07/07/2006 8:19 AM  
NancyM2,

My CC&R's do not officially restrict hiring of homeowners however the board's practice is to discourage it, from past experience with one homeowner that was hired as our snow contractor.

I feel a homeowner can be impartial in the position of Ombudsman, however impariality will only be believed (by the disgruntled owner) if the Ombudsman is not a resident. Therefore I believe the outcome if not favorable to the owner will always be subject to a claim of a "conflict of interest".

I believe an outside facilitator should be utilized on an as needed, rather than a full time salaried basis.

GeraldT1
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/07/2006 8:57 AM  
Posted By NancyM2 on 07/07/2006 8:05 AM

I would like get some feedback from this wonderful new forum I found. How many of you out their in cyber-space have found the need too hire a full time salaried Ombudsman, separate from what your Mgmt Co provides.

Also I would like to know how of your readers feel about a homeowner/friend of the board being impartial in this position. Would you consider this to be "Conflict of Interest" ?

Another question would be ~ Do your by-laws CC&R's restrict the hiring of homeowners.

I appreciate your input.

Nancy M

Why would anyone hire a full time Ombudsman unless s/he were mediating for the association 40 hours per week. And if one has that much mediation going on, then there are big problems that should be identified and resolved so there is no need for an Ombudsman.

Hiring a homeowner/friend can be touchy, but it is legal as long as the bylaws do not prohibit it. S/he would eventually prove to be either impartial or partial, depending on the decisions made.

No restriction on hiring of homeowners in our bylaws. Again, there is the potential of conflict of interest, so that potential must be made known to everyone, and multiple bids should be obtained if the dollar amount warrants.

Bill
NancyM2
(California)

07/07/2006 3:15 PM  
Bill ~Thank you for your input. I don't believe their was any RFQ's sent out for Ombudsman, as we never needed an Ombudsman before. Therefore no bids came in. And this guy is paid $82,200.00 a year. (he is a friend of the board)

Nancy
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/07/2006 4:17 PM  
Nancy,
A friend of the Board who is provided a large salary by the Board is DEFINITELY NOT QUALIFIED to be an ombudsman.

An ombudsman addresses concerns (such as administrative abuse or maladministration) that citizens or groups have about organizations or bureaucracies. In these situations, the ombudsperson acts as an IMPARTIAL mediator between the two parties, providing a less threatening type of dispute resolution. For the ombudsperson to help reduce friction between citizens and the government, he or she must be viewed as trustworthy and NEUTRAL; the process will not work if one party believes that the ombudsperson is taking the side of the other party.
BradP
(Kansas)

07/08/2006 7:42 AM  
Nancy:

Our rules do not preclude a homeowner from being hired, but I generally discourage the practice here. As for an Ombudsman, I would question any association that felt they needed one. IF you have an honest board there should not be a need for one, unfortunately all boards are not honest. And if I hired one it definitely would not be one of our homeowners, I don't see how they could be 100% impartial.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > feedback on hireing Ombudsman's

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement