Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Rules on dogs, pets and disabilities
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
hoatalk
(California)

07/06/2006 5:21 PM  
With all the talk of dogs here recently, I found an article in the HindmanSanchez newsletter interesting. It's called: "Beware of Dogs! Requests for Comfort Animals Could Bite Homeowners Associations"

The article discusses under what conditions associations should grant homeowners pets, for comfort reasons, under various disability laws.

Answer: It's not just for the obvious cases of the blind and other physical disabilities. Recent lawsuits awarded over $300,000 in damages to homeowners with mental disabilities that were not allowed pets.

Paste this address into your browser for more info:
http://www.imakenews.com/ortenhindman/e_article000609055.cfm?x=b7FQbBr,b4fWT1Ns

(Tip: Highlight...right click...copy)

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
GeraldT1

07/06/2006 6:34 PM  
Excellent posting, THANK YOU!!

As the article so eloquently points out, it is best to err on the side of being too flexible rather than too rigid, in other words, be reasonable and not narrow minded. Maybe everyone does not like dogs, or pets. But there are some who have the need for them.

Communities must seek legal advice when placing limitations upon pets. Unit owner’s rights can be infringed upon if rules and regulations are not reasonable, do not comply with their state’s fair housing act, or are developed to assess owners because of personal feelings.

GeraldT1
BrianB
(California)

07/06/2006 8:45 PM  
a smart place to start hanging your hat in this area is with a signed note/letter/prescription from a medical doctor.

If an MD says "my patient must have this animal for his/her health", and is willing to sign it, then you best allow it. (rule of thumb).

Note: I would not accept a note from an accupuncturist, chiropractor, psyhiatric counselor, etc. Medical Doctor (MD,DDS, Pharm D, Psych D, etc.).

My sister fights this battle all the time, until she got a signed statement from her medical doctor stating that her dog was a stress animal, and necessary for her health and mental well being. Since then, no one bats an eye: she works with it at a school district, etc.. Your first step should be to ask any owner who requests special dispensation to provide a doctor's note requiring care.
JohnW1
(Colorado)

07/07/2006 1:21 PM  
as a new member to this discussion, would someone please tell me how to get the complete discussion on HOA rules for pets or comfort animals.
I am disabled and want to be afforded the right to have my dog on my property under our HOA rules without hassel or discrimination.
John
BrianB
(California)

07/07/2006 1:47 PM  
you can use the search function to find more threads about pets (many of which have a comment or two about the ADA and pets), but here is one that shows up.

http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/view/topic/forumid/1/postid/2715/Default.aspx

JohnW1
(Colorado)

07/07/2006 2:14 PM  
Brian,
thanks for the suggestion, but I could not bring up anything using that address. jw
JohnW1
(Colorado)

07/07/2006 6:02 PM  
Gerald,
could you provide us more info on this pet issue, and comfort animals within HOA's. we have been hasseled for having a well-mannered dog,
thanks JW
GeraldT1

07/07/2006 6:42 PM  
JohnW1,

Each HOA has rules and regulations that are specific to that community, so you should first request your rules and regs.

HOA talk posted the link http://www.imakenews.com/ortenhindman/e_article000609055.cfm?x=b7FQbBr,b4fWT1Ns

Copy this to your web browser, it is an excellent place to begin your research regarding animals for medical, or emotional reasons.

As for more info on the pet issue, all I can say is that there is much passion on either side for and against pets in an association, rather than focus on the owners that refuse to ignore the rules.

GeraldT1
JohnW1
(Colorado)

07/08/2006 9:42 AM  
Gerald
for some reason, I cannot copy and paste the link that you offered in your reply. is there another way to access that link? I've tried manually entering the address and still does not "show that address".
thanks, jw
hoatalk
(California)

07/08/2006 10:11 AM  
Posted By JohnW1 on 07/08/2006 9:42 AM

Gerald
for some reason, I cannot copy and paste the link that you offered in your reply. is there another way to access that link? I've tried manually entering the address and still does not "show that address".
thanks, jw

Go to www.hindmansanchez.com ... Click Newsletter ... Click Archived Editions ... Click on Issue 56.

You will find the article there.

HOATalk

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
JohnW1
(Colorado)

07/08/2006 1:26 PM  
Gerald,
thanks for the other path to the article #56 on dog issues with HOAs, I was able to get to that article,
JW
JosephW
(Michigan)

07/10/2006 1:03 PM  
There have beena number of court cases and articles about "comfort animals" Most are listed at:
http://www.communityassociations.net/ca_issues/archives/2006/03/comfort_or_companion_animals.html
There is also a web site "citizens for pets in condos" (http://www.petsincondos.org/ifdenied.htm)
that has various information. I wouldn't suggest using the sample doctor's letter. It's already made the rounds.

Joseph West
Official HOATalk.com Sponsor
Community Associations Network, LLC
www.CommunityAssociations.net

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Rules on dogs, pets and disabilities

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement