Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Switching Mgmt Co's/Ombudsman
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NancyM2
(California)

07/06/2006 4:08 PM  
The Mgmt Co we had during the time I was Treasurer offered good services, and was close by. (Ombudsman services included, no extra charge) I was able to work very well with them as well as good homeowner Mgmt Co. relationships. Unfortunately our "in house" Attorney and one other board member did not share my enthusiasm. Shortly after I left the board they dismissed that Mgmt Co. and hired a Mgmt Co. further away at DOUBLE the cost per month.

Strangely enough the CEO's of our new Mgmt Co. we hired were friends of our "in house" Attorney. When I questioned the reason for leaving out first Mgmt Co. I was told the reason was too egregious, and would never be revealed. The word "egregious" was the same word they gave the CEO's at the Mgmt Co they had fired, with no other explanation. Therefore we were obligated to pay off the contract at a cost of several thousand dollars to our HOA. I don't believe any RFQ's were sent out for other bids before they retained the new Mgmt Co. There simply wasn't enough time. As a board member I was under the impression that before we let out any contracts we needed to get several bids.

My question would be ~~ As a homeowner should that information be available to me, or can they just blow me off again.

Nancy M
GeraldT1

07/06/2006 4:38 PM  
NancyM2,

It does not sound like there is was an egregious act. However, to the new board members it was probably egregious that the old MC was acting in a professional manner.

The contract with the MC probably had a terminiation clause that included "with or without cause".

As a homeowner you have a right to almost if not all association related materials and to audit everything except probably sensitive matters of pending litigation.

They can delay providing access to the information all they want, but the choice is yours how tough wish to get.

I'll repeat what I said in a previous (unrelated) post. Do your governing documents have a threshold on board spending as it relates to the budget? Does the (double) cost of the new MC exceed a percentage (of your budget) therefore requiring a 2/3rd's community vote?

GeraldT1
NancyM2
(California)

07/06/2006 6:24 PM  
Gerald:
Again I Thank You for your response to my questions. We do have a 5% threshold of our annual budget for "Capital Improvements" However I don't think it applies to anything else. I will look into it.

I was on the board when we hired the Mgmt Co. that was fired. The contract had a 60 or 90 day release clause. All other items had to be a "Material Breach" Obviously their was no material breach ~ Witness the fact thay had to pay off the contract.

I am positive that the proposed "egregious act" was bogas. and that is the reason they can't tell anyone. You can bet I am the last person they would give any information to, short of me hiring another Attorney or contacting the Attorney General in the state of Calif. It is my understanding that our Attorney General doesn't do anything anyway. (brick wall)

I could request that information, as we have some new laws here in Calif as of July 1st of 2006 (Davis Sterling Act)However I know they will just blow me off again. And I don't have the means to hire an attorney.

Nancy
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Switching Mgmt Co's/Ombudsman

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement