Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 12, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: National Night Out
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BradP
(Kansas)

08/05/2008 8:53 AM  
I was just curious how many HOA's participate in National Night Out and if you do are HOA funds used for it?
AnnaD2
(Florida)

08/05/2008 9:02 AM  
What is it? I've never heard of it.
BradP
(Kansas)

08/05/2008 9:09 AM  
Here is a link to some info

http://www.nationaltownwatch.org/nno/

In a nutshell it is a cime and drug prevention event where local communities or subdivisions are encouraged to have block parties to meet their neighbors and bring awareness to the issue of crime. It is pretty huge in our area, the police have embraced it and encourage the activity.
SusanW1
(Michigan)

08/05/2008 10:11 AM  
This might come under Social or Resident Communications. Well worth it, IMHO, for the cost. could bring the community together!
MaryA1

08/05/2008 12:13 PM  
It's organized through the Neighborhood Block Watch program. If your HOA belongs to the Neighborhood Block Watch in your city/county, then they should be aware of the National Night Out.

Regarding Brad's question. I see no reason why HOA funds could not be used for the event since all homeowners are encouraged to belong to the block watch. It's a social gathering. In my former HOA we would have a yard sale once or twice a year and the funds from that were used for block watch activities. Our block watch program was not sponsored by the HOA -- they were separate entities.
KirkW1
(Texas)

08/05/2008 3:22 PM  
We are participating for the first time this year. (In Texas it occurs in October due to the heat of summer.) Its primary focus is on crime prevention. But it is a also a time to get to know your neighbors. (Which has been shown to reduce crime in many cases.)
DwightT
(Idaho)

08/05/2008 9:07 PM  
We've been doing it for about 4 years now. Turnout tonight was fairly low compared to previous years, but the weather was pretty hot and muggy which kept a lot of people indoors. Still, we got to talk with the Mayor and the Chief of Police, and those who did show up enjoyed a pot-luck dinner and had a chance to meet their neighbors. I wound up talking with a lot of new people and I hope get some more volunteers for other neighborhood activities. Definitely an event that I would recommend for all HOAs.
DianeB6
(Minnesota)

08/06/2008 4:35 AM  
Our association did the National Nights Out. We did a poolside event, we served coffee and cake, the cake was donation by our local Target store and our social committee funded the coffee and serving pieces. Out of 66 units we probably only had 12 residents show. Very low turn out this year for us.
RobertM25
(Florida)

07/15/2019 9:19 AM  
Yes Grandin Lake Shores has been for the past 7 Years. WE have Guests to speak the local Sub station has always sent the Captin and four or five Deputys, Door prises food and all have had fun
MarkM19
(Texas)

07/15/2019 9:39 AM  
Just like every other Social event you will get the regulars and a few additional homeowners if you offer some free stuff like Hot Dogs or drinks. If you do a really good job promoting it they can be successful. Typically you have to register the event with the local authorities so they can plan a route to go to as many HOAs as possible.

I have not been to one in Texas yet but in Ca. they were not well attended even when promoted well.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

07/15/2019 9:49 AM  
My properties don't, because most of the cities out here have their own events at a police station or public square. Personally I think that defeats the purpose, which is to get to know your neighbors and local police officers, but I guess the police, fire, mayor etc got tired of visiting multiple block parties.
GenoS
(Florida)

07/15/2019 12:33 PM  
Thread revived after 10 years.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement