Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Crime Free Lease Addendum
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertM11
(Arizona)

07/27/2008 5:23 AM  
Our HOA recently passed a rule that all rentals comply with the following:

"Effective immediately, all non-owner occupied dwellings must implement the enclosed Crime Free Housing Addendum to new leases. Existing leases must add the addendum upon the renewal date of existing leases already in force. This includes month- to- month leases and verbal leases with an automatic month-to-month extension of the lease.
The owner and/or property management company, of the dwelling will be responsible for the eviction of any and all residents/tenants, (i.e., lessees) of the dwelling, in the case that any illegal activity/crime is committed on the property, and/or any conviction of a crime against a person or persons property, committed within the perimeter of, or outside of, the XXX Community Association."

Gotta love the owners who think that renters are the source of all their problems!
SusanW1
(Michigan)

07/27/2008 5:45 AM  
This gives them permission to break the lease and is pretty standard verbiage for evicting a renter. It does give a lot of power to the management company, however.
GeorgerwilliamsW
(Indiana)

07/27/2008 6:57 AM  
It will be interesting to see if this passes muster, since it does not equally apply to all property owners (landlords versus residents).

I most sincerely doubt that a court would allow such restrictions to property rights, particularly if the felony in question was committed outside of the area. Some restrictions on leasing/renting are reasonable, but this is beyond the pale.

Similarly, I doubt the homeowners association would be within the law were they to prohibit anyone with a felony conviction from purchasing a home in the association.

This is over-reaching by a well-meaning board of directors who see renters as more evil than owners. The brush they are painting with is far too broad. This is the stuff law suits are made of. Just wait until an attorney from the ACLU get a hold of this.

RobertR1
(South Carolina)

07/27/2008 5:48 PM  
May be George,
But look behind the reason for all this and although I don't comdeem or support this kind of legislation, if that is what it is; it sure points out the condo must have some concerns. The rental story of condominium has yet to be told but I suspect that there will be changes made rapidly because of the increase in numbers of people living in condos. I have no idea how it will fall out but I suspect the trend is going to be much more control by the states to try and get a handle on all these people that should be taking some responsibility as a citizen of the state. No doubt it will change, and no doubt historically, large numbers of rental units in any closed enviroment result in lower property values, over time. No doubt also that the mortgage lenders are not servicing the associations well when they contructed this Sub prime business. Lots of dirty hands there and none of this bodes well for the condo, especially when limits were stretched on mortgages not to provide homes, but to provide rental property.
MaryA1

07/28/2008 3:14 PM  
Posted By RobertM11 on 07/27/2008 5:23 AM
Our HOA recently passed a rule that all rentals comply with the following:

"Effective immediately, all non-owner occupied dwellings must implement the enclosed Crime Free Housing Addendum to new leases. Existing leases must add the addendum upon the renewal date of existing leases already in force. This includes month- to- month leases and verbal leases with an automatic month-to-month extension of the lease.
The owner and/or property management company, of the dwelling will be responsible for the eviction of any and all residents/tenants, (i.e., lessees) of the dwelling, in the case that any illegal activity/crime is committed on the property, and/or any conviction of a crime against a person or persons property, committed within the perimeter of, or outside of, the XXX Community Association."

Gotta love the owners who think that renters are the source of all their problems!

Robert,

It sounds good on paper, but is it legal? AZ has a landlord tenant law. I wonder if the BOD has checked this law to determine if what they are proposing is legal? Now, how the property owners? How is the BOD going to get rid of those who might break the law? As you said: "Gotta love the owners who think that renters are the source of all their problems!"
GlenL
(Ohio)

07/28/2008 3:23 PM  
Theoretically we have the ability in our CC&R's to get rid of an owner who violates the law. However unless it happened on the property I do not see it standing up in court.

"Common sense is like deodorant--the people who need it most never use it."
SusanW1
(Michigan)

07/28/2008 3:59 PM  
Evictions will be enforced by the court if the renter does any of these 3: 1) non payment of rent 2) illegal activities and 3) activiites that threaten the health or sanitation of the home.

So the owner can has this right to evict, based on the above - but as I said, this ALSO gives the management company the power to step in and evict.
RobertM11
(Arizona)

07/30/2008 6:17 AM  
The actual rule was written by an attorney (of course!) who advised that the case law isn't really clear on this at this point in time but that she thinks it can be defended if it ever gets as far as court.
The fact remains that most troublemaking renters are not going to either go through the court system or they don't have the resources to pay an attorney. The problem may come with an owner who doesn't want to evict a rent paying tenant even if they are causing problems in the community. But, we shall see how it goes....
BradP
(Kansas)

07/30/2008 6:23 AM  
Robert:

i think the addendum is way too broad in its scope. Are you looking at just felonies? Are misdeameanors included? The first part of it that has any illegal activity/crime committed on the property in my opinion is going to get you in trouble because that insinuates you are not going to wait for the legal system to run its course and the HOA is going to be the judge, jury and executioner.

If this was written by a lawyer I am surprised it is so broad based, it seems like they want a catch all for any crime that could possibly be committed as an excuse. I don't like it.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Crime Free Lease Addendum

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement