Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Canadates for Board of Directors
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
VivianF
(Arizona)

11/13/2005 8:30 AM  
We have elections coming up in February 2006 and have two canadates that are paid employees of our HOA and are running for the board. Does anyone know if it is required that these canadates disclose that they are paid employees? We have over 300 absentee ballots and these voters are not informed as the members living in the 55+ park. I appreciate any help. vivianF
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

08/18/2006 9:50 AM  
vivianF, How did the elections go, this past February? I’m not all that familiar with board members being paid for their services. This is my first home. I decided to build in an HOA community. We are completely a volunteer HOA.
Are you able to use proxies in your elections? If these individuals don’t get elected then does that mean whoever is elected to the board will get paid? This may entice others to run for the board. You have such a large amount of absentee ballots. I would think you could prevent these two from being elected!

If they are truly doing a good job then, the other 300 plus residents won't care. They aren’t living there, why should they. That is exactly what they will say. I assume you are still living in the community? Do you have other that will run for the board? Have you consider running for position on the BOD your self? I believe the community would be more appreciate of someone doing the work (that they wouldn’t want to do themselves)if they weren’t getting paid? That's just my opoinion! But then again on the flip side, many may think that there getting paid to do this; they must be qualified to do such. WRONG!

I realized this when my wife and I volunteered to serve food at a concession stand here in Georgia. We have went to many of the games, concerts and other events held at the Gwinnett area. We have eaten at many of the different foods stands and have drank plenty of the soda, water and beer. Standing in line we would get so frustrated with the people working behind the counters because we thought that “duh, this is your job, what is the problem?” My wife and I would always say to one another “what a joke, I could do a better job and I don’t even do this sort of thing 40 hours a week.” Little did we know is that the majority of the people working behind the counters didn’t work all that often either. They were all volunteers. So next time you go to something like this, keep in mind that they may not be paid. That is may be a new experience for them as well. It’s basically a warm body to take money and to give out merchandise.

Sorry about that little” tangent”.

Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
RogerB
(Colorado)

08/18/2006 10:17 AM  
Vivian, are they paid employees or independant contractors hired by the HOA. If they are paid employees they should be disqualified from being considered as candidates for the Board.

However, if they are independent contractors hired by the Board this should definitely be disclosed to all that are voting. It does not disqualify them; but does present an apparent conflict of interests. If elected, they should not be involved in contract approvals for the work they perform for the HOA. Also competative sealed bids should be obtained for those jobs they perform and they should not be involved in any related Board discussions or decision.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Canadates for Board of Directors

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement