Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Establishing Standards
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoyceS1
(Indiana)

06/25/2006 6:51 AM  
This is an offshoot of another thread begun on this forum regarding Architectural control.

Why does establishment of “quality control” or “standards” become “picky”?

Aesthetics is in the eyes of the beholder. Without standards, how does one pick and choose whose modifications is acceptable?

I see standards as necessary in order to maintain the consistency and quality of a community.... especially as turnover in ownership occurs and rentals emerge. With standards, everyone knows what is expected of him or her.

Our current BOD view “standards” as unimportant. It is easier to say "yes" than it is to say "no", especially if it is their neighbor or "good buddy." Following rules and regulations is just silly.

Do others on this forum encounter this mindset as well? Any suggestions on how to work with that mindset and turn it around?

WilliamS1
(South Carolina)

06/25/2006 11:11 AM  

Setting standards is hard because

1. It takes work
2. You can be percieved snooty.
3. You risk offending some people - even people on the board, maybe even being offended.

We have a great board, but there are changes that they have made to their homes and yards that I feel would reduce the value of our properties if more than just a few people did it. For instance between our front doors and the side walks, we all have 5 to 15 feet which is common ground yet people do their own thing (plant this or that). Some people have

A. started putting out plastic edging around there, B. some have put out bricks to edge their flower garden,
C. some have way over planted their garden leaving no grass,
D. some want to blue stone the area in,
E. others have taken out the bushes planted by the hoa and put down mulch
F. some don't do anything and it looks very dull.

Take Care
BradP
(Kansas)

06/25/2006 12:21 PM  
Absolutely, no one wants to be the "bad" guy and tell their neighbor no. I think that has been a huge problem in our neighborhood. I don't know about you, but when I look at homes to buy I put a lot of stock in the exterior of the home and the surrounding homes.

To get around that mindset is hard, every time I send out correspondence about yards or architectural stuff I make it a point to either thank people for making our neighborhood more attractive, or encourage them to get busy as they are adversely affecting the value of everyone's home.

Best of luck, it is a challenge for us and I am sure for everyone here.
JoyceS1
(Indiana)

06/25/2006 12:42 PM  
WillamS1

Ohhhh, how right you are!

That's exactly the problems with my HOA. While only one or two deviations may be perceived as no big deal....as more tend to follow and people become more creative, accumulatively, the community appearance suffers.

GeraldT1

06/26/2006 9:01 AM  
JoyceS - My north new jersey community consists of sf homes and townhouses. The covenants and restrictions in the gov. docs. for the sf homes are not the same as for the townhouses, however there is some overlap. When it comes to standards for the townhouses, it is critical they be enforced because modifications on the exterior of the units are improvements on land that is commonly owned. Space for planting around the townhouses is limited so plants that have extensive root systems, or that have large mature heights (trees) are striclty prohibited. Our arch standards have methods for modification that permit low impact modifications through an Application B, and higher impact modifications through an Application A.

Standards should be developed to create visual harmony, personalization of spaces but with a degree of uniformity so as not to create a patchwork of styles that could devalue the investments of the association. Anyone that does not subscribe to this policy should not buy into an association.

What amazes me more than those owners that ignore the standards is the non-enforcement of the violations.

More often than not, I encounter owners that can not imagine the "look of things" five or ten years down the line.

GeraldT1
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Establishing Standards

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement