Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Colorado Senate Bill 06-89
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RogerB
(Colorado)

05/31/2006 7:29 AM  
Colorado SB06-89 became effective 5/26/06 with the exception of a portion of the seller's disclosure section and a required dispute resolution Policy which becomes effective 1/1/07. SB06-89 corrected aspects of the 2005 Senate Bill, SB05-100, that needed clarification and created unreasonable functionality. Policies, Procedures, Rules and Regulations which conflict with SB06-89 shuld be revised. DARCO will draft updates for our clients' 2005 Rules and Regulations, at no cost, so they can comply with SB06-89.

If your HOA is in Colorado and you would like a copy of SB06-89, contact me and request an email copy.

You may be interested in the following required seller disclosure statement:
38-35.7-102. Disclosure - common interest community - obligation to pay assessments - requirement for architectural approval.
(1) ON AND AFTER JANUARY 1, 2007, EVERY CONTRACT FOR THE PURCHASE AND SALE OF RESIDENTIAL REAL PROPERTY IN A COMMON INTEREST COMMUNITY SHALL CONTAIN A DISCLOSURE STATEMENT IN BOLD-FACED TYPE THAT IS CLEARLY LEGIBLE AND IN SUBSTANTIALLY THE FOLLOWING FORM:

THE PROPERTY IS LOCATED WITHIN A COMMON INTEREST COMMUNITY AND IS SUBJECT TO THE DECLARATION FOR SUCH COMMUNITY. THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE A MEMBER OF THE OWNER'S ASSOCIATION FOR THE COMMUNITY AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE BYLAWS AND RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE ASSOCIATION. THE DECLARATION, BYLAWS, AND RULES AND REGULATIONS WILL IMPOSE FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS UPON THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY, INCLUDING AN OBLIGATION TO PAY ASSESSMENTS OF THE ASSOCIATION. IF THE OWNER DOES NOT PAY THESE ASSESSMENTS, THE ASSOCIATION COULD PLACE A LIEN ON THE PROPERTY AND POSSIBLY SELL IT TO PAY THE DEBT. THE DECLARATION, BYLAWS, AND RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE COMMUNITY MAY PROHIBIT THE OWNER FROM MAKING CHANGES TO THE PROPERTY WITHOUT AN ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BY THE ASSOCIATION (OR A COMMITTEE OF THE ASSOCIATION) AND THE APPROVAL OF THE ASSOCIATION. PURCHASERS OF PROPERTY WITHIN THE COMMON INTEREST COMMUNITY SHOULD INVESTIGATE THE FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS OF MEMBERS OF THE ASSOCIATION. PURCHASERS SHOULD CAREFULLY READ THE DECLARATION FOR THE COMMUNITY AND THE BYLAWS AND RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE ASSOCIATION.

SwanB
(Washington)

06/01/2006 11:49 AM  
Our new members receive our governing documents from the title company when they purchase their homes or lots as a result of the state law in WA. I often find it interesting when a new member claims they didn't know a rule or bylaw because they never got the document and then I direct them to a particular folder and 'Eureka' there are the governing documents.
Most of the title companies and realtors who work in our area are very good about letting new owners know they need to read these documents and know them...no excuses.
RogerB
(Colorado)

06/01/2006 1:55 PM  
Swan, in Colorado the Declaration used to provide at closing. But with all the papers to sign no one has the time to read, much less study, this 60 page document. The new Colorado statutes requires all important HOA documents to be provided prior to final commitment and long before closing. I think this is a much better process.
DavidG4
(Colorado)

06/17/2006 9:34 PM  
please e-mail me a copy of the bill
[email protected]
TobiC
(Colorado)

06/22/2006 11:46 AM  
Please send me aopy of SB06-89 I am secretary of my hoa in colorado springs. thank you, Tobi Carazo
[email protected]
LuciusD

06/23/2006 12:33 PM  
I have found the seven documents concerning SB's 100/089 available at

http://www.hoalegislate.com/archives/sb-100sb-89-resources-124-sb-100-sb-89-resources.html

extremely helpful in sorting out the changes required.
LuciusD

06/23/2006 1:23 PM  
Posted By RogerB on 06/01/2006 1:55 PM

Swan, in Colorado the Declaration used to provide at closing. But with all the papers to sign no one has the time to read, much less study, this 60 page document. The new Colorado statutes requires all important HOA documents to be provided prior to final commitment and long before closing. I think this is a much better process.

Roger,
I have serious doubts about your last sentence (the "provided prior to final committment part"). That was true under SB-100. But SB-089 repeals CRS 38-33.3-223, entirely. It looks to me now like the buyer has to be smart enough to request the documents rather than having them provided by law before the title deadline. I'm still studying exactly what is supposed to happen here.
RogerB
(Colorado)

06/23/2006 3:53 PM  
Lucius, I would appreciate it if you could email me ([email protected]) a reference from which you determined Colorado's CRS 38-33.3-223 was repealed entirely. My copy of SB06-89 shows only an ADDITION to item (2) listed as (b). Also, I do not believe the Real Estate Commission has deleted the disclosure to buyer requirement.
RogerB
(Colorado)

06/25/2006 12:15 PM  
Apparently my copy was not the final copy which got signed into law.

ANYONE WHO WAS PROVIDED A COPY OF THE PRELIMINARY VERSION OF SB06-89 FROM ME CAN GO TO http://www.hoalegislate.com TO VIEW THE FINAL VERSION.

Thank you Lou for bringing this to my attention. Lou sent me an email and indicated he believes buyers should be provided the HOA documents in advance of closing. I totallin agree with Lou. In fact I will recommend to the HOAs we manage to maintain their current Rules and Regulations which require disclosing this information plus more that SB-100 did not require; such as the form - Request to Modify the Exterior of the Property.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Colorado Senate Bill 06-89

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement