Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board Member Liaison to Committee
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ThomasW
(Florida)

05/25/2006 9:57 AM  
Hi,

I am a member of the Landscaping Committee of Saturnia Lakes, a community in Naples, FL. We presently have a Board Director serving as a Liaison between our committee and the HOA Board of Directors. We are new to this, since our community was just turned over to the homeowners from the developer.

Do any of your communities have a Director serving as a Liaison on a committee and, if so, what is that Liaisons responsibility and role on your committee?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Tom White
Saturnia Lakes
Landscaping Committee Member
RogerB
(Colorado)

05/25/2006 11:44 AM  
Thomas, a Director serving as a Liaison between a committee and the Board would have the role of taking the committee's recommendations and budgets to the Board for approval. If the Board is willing to delegate authority to the committee it often is more effective and can operate within a Board approved budget. The Director could serve as the committee chair as well as laison with the Board to provide more Board control.
AndreaW
(North Carolina)

05/25/2006 10:19 PM  
Just curious, does the board member liaison have the right to sit in while the committee is discussing budgets and such and add their views or is it just up to them to take what the committee decided and present it to the board as a whole?
ThomasW
(Florida)

05/26/2006 6:10 AM  
Thanks for your helpful response.

Tom White
ThomasW
(Florida)

05/26/2006 6:11 AM  
We are in the process of identifying the roles and responsibilities of the "Board Liaison", so we're not sure what they should be yet.

RogerB
(Colorado)

05/26/2006 6:37 AM  
" does the board member liaison have the right to sit in while the committee is discussing budgets and such and add their views or is it just up to them to take what the committee decided and present it to the board as a whole?"

It would be prudent to have the liaison be on the committee or atleast be very familiar with each budget item. Otherwise how could they answer questions the Board might have when they present the committee budget for approval?
AndreaW
(North Carolina)

05/26/2006 7:28 AM  
Isn't the whole idea of committees, to give the assignment to a small focused group? Wouldn't allowing anyone to come and go as they wish defeat the purpose? I understand and agree that the liaison needs to have the knowledge and understanding to present to the board, but my question I guess is, Does that Board liaison need to be present through all of the deliberations of whatever the issues are at hand, or can this be discussed by the committee first and presented to the liaison later, once the committee has reached a decision? Since the board liaison cannot vote on the committee, instead doesn't he/she vote when the board votes on the items being presented by the committee? We have a board liaison who interjects his opinions at every committee meeting and causes disention among committee members and himself. Rather than have to battle with him on every item, our committee would function more smoothly without his presence when deliberating issues. It would be much easier and less stressful for everyone if he just took what we had topresent to the board and discussed it at his board meeting. Am I wrong? It has gotten to the point where we will have lost several volunteers because they no longer want to sit at a meeting where he is present. This would be an unfortunate loss for our community, where it is hard enough to recruit volunteers in the first place.
AndreaW
(North Carolina)

05/26/2006 7:29 AM  
In regards to a Board Liaisons function, when you have a clear definition of yours i would love for you to share the description. To date according to our management company we do not have a clear definition of that role. However I would like to present one to be added to the bylaws.
CharlesT
(Florida)

06/12/2006 6:29 PM  
There is no good reason to have a board member as liaison to the committee. The committee chairperson can present the committees report at a board meeting and make a recommendation for approval. However, that liaison board member may be appointed the chair of the committee by the board.
GeraldT1

06/12/2006 6:51 PM  
AndreaW and ThomasW - A Board Liaison to a committee need not preside at every committee meeting. However, a liaison should preside at the first committee meeting and provide the committee with their duties as outlined in the governing documents or by the Board. Because the liaison will ultimately vote upon committee recomendations, the liaison should inform the committee of a board member's perspective in that a board member weighs issues on multiple levels. For example, the landscape committee may wish to recommend that all dead plantings be replaced by the association, whereas the transition committee may have recommended that the association wait to replace the plantings until the developer is apprised of the deficiency and given the opportunity for replacement and or the association first documents the deficiency in detail. Therefore, the Board liaison can relate this to the landscape committee and suggest they document the deficiency with a revised recommendation that the plantings be replaced either by the developer or the association, whichever is in due order. Regardless, the liaison must remain objective and present the committee recommendations to the board. Gerald
BeauJ
(Arizona)

06/13/2006 8:02 AM  
As a past Board Member, Vice Chair, etc, I question why any Committee feel that they have complete knowledge of the budget & other constraints, that they would object to the Board Liasion attending & making suggestion to a Committee....the Committees Members work at the descretion of the duly elected Board...their job is to research & suggest not make policy. We all appreciate volunteers, & in most cases the Board members are just that ...VOLUNTEERS! Why make it harder on implementing your ideas by rejecting & NOT working with the Liaison. If you feel there is a personality conflict..then I suggest you request the President of your Association for a replacement..but don't be a bit surprised if you have problems with the replacement..You must remember that your function is just to advise the Board..not set policy! Good Luck!
BeauJ
(Arizona)

06/13/2006 8:02 AM  
As a past Board Member, Vice Chair, etc, I question why any Committee feel that they have complete knowledge of the budget & other constraints, that they would object to the Board Liasion attending & making suggestion to a Committee....the Committees Members work at the descretion of the duly elected Board...their job is to research & suggest not make policy. We all appreciate volunteers, & in most cases the Board members are just that ...VOLUNTEERS! Why make it harder on implementing your ideas by rejecting & NOT working with the Liaison. If you feel there is a personality conflict..then I suggest you request the President of your Association for a replacement..but don't be a bit surprised if you have problems with the replacement..You must remember that your function is just to advise the Board..not set policy! Good Luck!
HelenS
(California)

06/17/2006 7:22 PM  
Hi

I am a member of the Board of Directors, and I act as the liaison for the Landscape Committee. I also act as a part of the Committee. We have discussions at our Committee meetings, and when I present ideas and info to the Board, it is always done on the basis that the Committee has voted as a whole on the subject. I also have the option to present and deal with issues using my own judgment. In our assn. the Committee consists of some very knowledgeable people, and I value their opinions, so I generally take their suggestions verbatim to the Board.

We also do a monthly walk-through of our community. This is open to the Board, our landscaper, and one rep from the management company only--so that we don't have committee members spending a lot of time on conversations that can be handled in committee meetings. However, if I am unable to do the walk-through, I will send one of my committee members to take my place.

Hope that helps,
HelenS
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

06/26/2006 6:17 AM  

Liaison "Any form of intercommunication between units" A liaison between the committees and Board is invaluable. Committees then have access to Board ideas and input and don't need to chase down Board members when they need questions answered.That Board member is a direct link between the committee and Board.
Committees are also only appointed or sanctioned by the Board. They have no rights to making final decisions as that is why Boards are elected by the community.And that is why any Board may use Liaisons.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board Member Liaison to Committee

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement