Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, May 19, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Annual meeting turnout
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TonyT
(Massachusetts)

10/26/2005 3:46 PM  
Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to raise turnout at annual meetings ? We have not attained a quorum in many years, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that worked for them. I was thinking of a door prize , but I didn't know what an appropriate value should be to entice people to to come.

Tony
North Andover, MA.
JimS
(Delaware)

10/30/2005 1:09 AM  
I have used feature speakers on some topic that is germane to the community. Have the Mayor attend. Have the local 911 respondents attend and discuss hurricane or disaster preparations. Or maybe something that is a 'hot' topic in your area. Be careful what you use your money on there are always those who read every document to see if it is within your authority!! I also set up a web site to announce meetings and had signs made that are generic in nature as to date fro annual meetings. I post them at the entrances of the development the week before the meeting
LisaS
(Illinois)

10/30/2005 6:26 AM  
We send newsletters and post signs at our entrances. Our signs are dry-erase so we don't incur a cost every time we have a meeting.

Our 2nd annual meeting yesterday brought a 25% turnout. And the hot topic was that we are raising assessments and doing improvements next year. We even sent out a survey (and put it on our website) on asking how much people were willing to spend and what they wanted to see happen. We only got 5% response!!

It was said to me that because we only charge $100 per year, and there have been no major problems internally that affects the homeowners, that no one cares. They don't come to the meetings because it isn't important to them...yet. Our Board looks at it as a good thing at this point- we have the trust and support of the members so much so that they don't come to question us. We also have good communication via email so most individual issue sget solved that way.

We also are considering some sort of door prize for next year. We have a number of local restaurants. Most are willing to donate a gift certificate or grant a discount on one. We might go that way. or perhaps some sort of electronics item. TV's are so inexpensive but make a big impact when you give them away!

Let me know if you come up with a good idea...I'm listening.

Lisa
KarenW
(Utah)

10/31/2005 7:31 AM  
We too have a fairly poor turn out. I did receive the recommendation to include a "Raffle" ticket in the notice and if they come to the meeting they turn in the ticket to be included in the drawing. The raffle however needs to be of a reasonable value otherwise you will not gain the interest. So a dinner gift certificate or multiple gift certificates are a good choice.
hoatalk
(California)

11/02/2005 6:29 PM  
There are some interesting ideas in this news article from a HOA in Arizona, like giving away free dues:

http://www.newszap.com/articles/2005/11/01/az/west_valley/arrow01.txt

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
HankL

11/07/2005 5:31 AM  
As Prez, I coughed up about $200 in light food and drinks. Also gave out two gift cards from a random drawing which included only those whose properties had no issues on the annual inspection. I put meeting signs out about 10 days before the meeting, instead of the one day as in the recent years. I have been highly viz because when I left the Board after about 7 years, I got write-in votes to go back to the job and regain all the things that went wrong since I left. A very bitter pill.

Do a lot, communicate a lot, piss off a very few, and you will find allies.

For the first time in years, we had a quorum on the first try. And no screaming as in prior meetings.

Hank
DorothyH
(Florida)

11/07/2005 6:40 PM  
My Association is a property owners association with some owners living out of the country.
At the annual meeting and even the Board meetings the
same people always show up. To reach a quorum we send out limited proxies if voting on anthing
and to be counted as presence at the meeting. This way we usually
are able to reach a quorum to hold the meeting. If we do not obtain a quorum we adjourn the meeting until a quorum
can be obtained. Sometimes it takes a few phone calls and another
request to the members to return the proxy if they are unable
to attend the meeting. Our proxy is valid for 90 days from the date
of the meeting for which it was originally given This has helped
us in attaining a quorum to hold meetings and vote on important
matters concerning the Association. This Association is in Florida.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Annual meeting turnout

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement