Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Storing items on lots
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SwanB
(Washington)

05/11/2006 10:58 AM  
The thread on parking and commercial vehicles has brought this to my mind but I started a new topic because this one deals with the storage of items on our lots.
We don't allow the storage of boats, campers, rvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles. on our lots. As a potential new member I would be sure to read through all the governing documents before buying in, but history shows all of us, this isn't what commonly occurs.
People buy into a HOA and then squawk when they can't store their 30' sailboat on their lot.
Maybe it is just my personal tendency to 'go with the flow' but who cares if my neighbor has a 30' sailboat in their backyard? I don't. I have a 14 year old teenage boy; want to trade? Trust me, some days I think I would be coming out ahead!
However, it is the rule and it has to be followed. Unfortunately the neighbor is part of the rapidly growing trend in our HOA, a full-timer, and doesn't have anywhere else to store his boat. He claims he is being penalized (should have read the governing documents).
But we are seeing this more and more with our members; the need to store items on their lots because it is the only property they own.
JulieS
(Georgia)

05/12/2006 8:18 AM  
We had the same situation with a trailer. After numerous letters, removal and re-appearance of the trailer, we finally fined him per our docs.

This resulted in the trailer being moved, a meeting with the owner to dispute the fine, in which we upheld. The homeowner threatened retailiation and board members ended up with dead grass and shrubs. The trailer never showed back up as he found a place to store it at an off site facility...and then he moved. Everyone is happy and we we rarely have this issue come up.
BrianB
(California)

05/12/2006 10:43 AM  
we have had the same, and i have a standard letter for the first violation, which contains a list of storage places that his neighbors use for their boats, trailers, etc.. It also reminds them of the exact rule, and the penalty structure.

One thing to keep in mind: make sure your penalty is more than the storage fee, or it pays to simply pay the penalty each month, rather than pay the more costly storage space.

we have a homeowner now happily paying his $10/month penalty, because storage is $70/month. He is saving $60 every month, and he gets his trailer at home.
MikeS1

05/15/2006 8:25 AM  
If they can afford a boat, then they can certainly afford the boatyard storage fee. Sorry, that I'm not sympathetic on this issue, but I have a boat and I keep it on a trailer close to the water. Towing boats is a royal pain and who would want to do so, with the price of fuel these days? It never ceases to amaze me that most folks don't read their HOA docs when they contract for the home. There are plenty of communities out there without HOA's. Let them purchase a home in those communities. I really don't want to have to look at boat or trailer in the community. Sorry, I'm not empathetic.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Storing items on lots

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement