Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Universal Declaration Of Human Rights
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TomB
(California)

10/21/2005 11:53 AM  
I recently read an article on the American Homeowners Research site dealing with a woman with 99 acres ajacent to a HOA that 1/2 acre
of her property is over the property line of the association. She has been billed for several years for annual assessments and her attorney (now deceased) told her to ignore them. They seem to be after her with a vengance. Someone on the AHRC site sent her a copy of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted in December 1948. In the Declaration article 20 (2) it states NO ONE MAY BE COMPELLED TO BELONG TO AN ASSOCIATION, it appears to have worked for her, my questions is has anyone tested thier HOA sending a letter referencing this Declaration? This is my first exposure to an Association and the Hatfield and McCoy attitudes
discust me to no end. I would love to send a letter (sense the only holdings we have is a weed park and slime pond) informing them I cancel my membership and have no need for thier personal issues.
Please let me know if anyone has considered this challenge.

Tom
Ione, California
hoatalk
(California)

10/21/2005 2:12 PM  
Her situation sounds unique. However, membership in the HOA is normally part of the property deed, as are other deed restrictions, like minimum square footage. So, in purchasing the property, the buyer agrees to HOA membership at that time, along with all the other things that are agreed to when a property is purchased. That is why opting out of the HOA is not an option, after the purchase.

If you are unhappy with your HOA, you may want to consider running for the Board or volunteering for a committee. That way, you can help make the positive changes you would like to see.

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
HankL

10/24/2005 5:51 PM  
So-called "human rights" are those that can only be given up (through murder, for example), not taken away. Buying the land is voluntary and Association must be disclosed at that point. She is a member, like it or not. Her lawyers win without a real leg to stand on because the opposition (you) are not playing good clean hardball. If you proceed to attempt to get her to pay the debt, and she refuses, you could wind up legally forclosing on the property and having the Sheriff selling it on the steps of the Courthouse. Don't be intimidated by a lawyer making a useless argument. Proceed as per your documents, and she will fold. Make sure you dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s and try to not deviate even a little when you exercise your legal powers to collect a legal debt.
Hank
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Universal Declaration Of Human Rights

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement