Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: POOR AL HOA needs management software! Help!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KennethC
(Alabama)

05/02/2006 2:49 PM  
Are HOA is in a small town in Alabama and lots of the Homeowners do not have the extra income to help us buy HOA Management Software. The volunteers are getting tired of keeping up with all the paperwork manually. Some have even stepped down from their position. We really need some sort of software that can help us manage the day to day business of a HOA. I have searched high and low through Google and have not found any freeware versions.

Please can anyone please tell me where I can look to find such a program with little to no cost involved. If I can show that software can reduce the amount of time it take to manage our HOA, maybe I can convince the rest of the Board to purchase an even better software next year.

Thanks in advance for your help!
BrianB
(California)

05/02/2006 4:49 PM  
Software to manage an HOA? you will need to let us know a bit more about what issues you have, what needs managed, etc.. We manage ours with Word for writing letters, and Excel for the accounting. Nothing else, just two programs.

Obviously, your needs are different, but without knowing more, i have no idea how different or what to recommend.
KennethC
(Alabama)

05/02/2006 6:47 PM  
Maybe I just need to take it over then. The people who are responsible for all the records make it sound like it is really hard and envolved. I think someone created a "bad" Access database and they have been using it ever since.

Thanks for your reply!
JulieS
(Georgia)

05/02/2006 7:09 PM  
You could use QuickBooks for the accounting portion (sending invoices, keeping track of receivables, late fees, fines, a/r & a/p, vendors, addresses, etc.). Letters can be typed in Word and is especially convenient if you use the mail merge feature for letters, envelpes, etc. Papers, like ACC requests, can be kept in a file box with a file for each property, or scanned for an electronic copy. Word of advice...be sure to stay on top of backing up your data in case of a system failure.
KennethC
(Alabama)

05/02/2006 7:38 PM  
I will have to look around for a deal on Quickbooks. And it has been a while since I used the mail merge feature... I guess I will have to brush up on that too.

Thanks!

LisaS
(Illinois)

05/04/2006 9:15 PM  
I also use Word and Excel to manage our 300 home HOA...by myself. It's not hard once you have the basic structure in place ( letter templates, roster, newsletter template, etc.)

Good luck!
Lisa
AdrianC
(California)

05/11/2006 5:25 PM  

Hi Kenneth,

A couple of management companies we interviwed use Filemaker as their software program. Filemaker is a totally customizable database that can keep track of income, expenses, violations, service requests, minutes,CCR's and Rules and Regs.

They will send you a free disc to try it out, and lots of third party developers have extras that work with it.
It retails for about $ 189, depending on the version.

Remember that you have to set the database up yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. they also have a magazine, website and usergroups that can help.

Adrian

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > POOR AL HOA needs management software! Help!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement