Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Electing Board Officers
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CharlieT
(Texas)

04/29/2006 4:06 PM  
Does anyone have ideas how board members elect the officers (President, Secretary, Treasurer). I have observed at some meetings that a board member would nominate a fellow member followed with a second and then a hand vote. I don't think this is always fair because this could be prearranged. This election normally takes place after the annual election of the directors. My idea is to have interested directors submit their names for officer positions. Then have a secret ballot for each position. I would appreciate how this is handled in other HOA boards.
BarbaraK
(Florida)

04/29/2006 4:44 PM  
Charlie: After our annual election, those elected go into another room, and by written secret ballot, select the President, Vice President, Secretary & Treasurer. You usually know, if you know the people, who will make the best officers.
LuciusD

04/30/2006 5:27 AM  
If your bylaws define a specific procedure, it should be followed. However, absent a specified procedure, I can find nothing wrong in the scheme you mention.
Prearrangement is an element in any procedure. Without a prearrangement it may be impossible to fill the postions.
The procedure my board generally follows is to first determine who is unwilling to be a candidate for what position. Most positions are filled by the only member who can be talked-into taking the position.
If there are two willing candidates, then a secret ballot becomes a reasonable and fair thing to do. Any member can always suggest or request a secret ballot.
TomJ
(Arizona)

04/30/2006 12:54 PM  
Our HOA follows the procedure where the elected members vote for who will fill the positions in an open forum after the election. We start with the president, vice president treasurer, and secretary. Nothing in our by laws or articles of incorporation prevent this nor gives a procedure for determining the board positions.

At our last meeting in Jun of 2005, we needed two board members to replace the member at large and treasurer. No one ran for the board and two volunteered to serve and no one present objected. One became treasurer and the other became the member at large.

I have been secretary for seveal years since no one else wants the job and I don't mind since I am retired and have the time.

We normally have less than a quorum for our annual meeting so the second month the quorum amount drops and we ususlly can have a meeting.

Perhaps this year things will be different since our state has now passes a law that elections must be by mail ballots, no proxies but I doubt it.

Also we normally have about 6 home owners at our monthly meetings and this is from about 150 home owners.

JulieS
(Georgia)

05/01/2006 12:18 PM  
Our docs state that the first board meeting will be held within 10 days of the annual meeting/election. At this meeting, the board members discuss the positions and determine who will hold which position.

The president is usually someone who has the most time available to dedicate to the HOA and also exhibits good leadership & motivational skills. If someone is a first time board member, they usually have a position with less responsibility so they can 'get their feet wet'.

Our current members work well together as a team. We do not place any position with more importance than the others.
JohnM3
(Florida)

05/10/2006 6:22 AM  
We have had the same board for the past 6 years. We usually leave it as is cause it works for us in the 14 years I have been on the board it was always a monster to get someone to join we have slots for up to 9 but for 4 years operated with 3 cause nobody wanted in.
So we have the annual which does not have the req amt of members close it open the normal monthly make a motion for the members in office to stay there it is seconded and we vote openly. With the exception to when we had the sinkhole we never have more than 10 people at a meeting. We do the meeting then we do members concerns 2 minutes each person till everybody is done. We use a egg timer it works cause it is visual then we adjourn till next month run this way for 14 years no problems law suits or any other junk. PS we are in Florida
JackH
(Mississippi)

05/21/2006 11:42 AM  
I AM A MEMBER OF AN INTERIM BOARD IN A NEW DEVELOPMENT IN Ms. IT IS INTERIM BECAUSE THE TRANSITION FROM THE DEVELOPER HAS NOT OCCURED YET. THERE ARE ISSUES BEING NEGOTIATED THAT WE FEEL ARE THE RESPOSIBILITY OF THE DEVELOPER THAT HAVE NOT BEEN TAKEN CARE OF YET. WE PLAN TO TAKEOVER SOON & SET A DATE FOR AN ANNUAL MEETING.I,AM ALSO CHAIRING THE NOMINATION COMMITTEE. I'M LOOKING FOR A SAMPLE BALLOT. IF ANYONE HAS ONE THAT THEY COULD MAIL TO ME I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.I'M FAMILURE WITH THE PROCEDURES, I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TOOLS.
THANK YOU; JACKH
BradP
(Kansas)

05/22/2006 6:36 AM  
Our bylaws state the President shall form a nominating committee consisting of himself and two other people. They shall serve for a year and their purpose is to find interested candidates for each position. Our four board members serve two year terms, we elect two position each year to avoid having a whole new board. What we have tried to do is identify candidates before the election meeting and post the candidates on our website and on the meeting notice reminder. At the meeting we vote by secret ballott and list the candidates, but also leave a spot for a write in if so desired. When I first came aboard we did what you are doing, but found that no one was interested mainly because they were uninformed.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Electing Board Officers

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement