Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Resignation of a board memeber
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DebW3
(Arizona)

01/05/2020 5:09 PM  
If a board member posts her resignation letter on our HOA website does that become effective immediately, or does the member have to physically deliver the letter to a board member in person for it to be effective?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/05/2020 7:23 PM  
I would say it's pretty evident they quit. It is published on an HOA resource. What you going to do? Force someone to do the job they don't want to do?

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/05/2020 7:39 PM  
Probably putting too fine of a point on this.
DebW3
(Arizona)

01/06/2020 2:55 AM  
MelissaP1, thank you for your reply. I agree, however it puts the board out of compliance since the bylaws state the board must have a minimum of 5. With her resignation, it puts them to 4 so the President is stating he has not accepted the resignation therefore it is not official. I read somewhere that it does not have to be accepted by a board member to be valid, but cannot find that again to support my cause.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/06/2020 3:09 AM  
Expecting that you are only subject to the corporate statute (as you posted in a different thread), see:

10-807. Resignation of directors:

A. A director may resign at any time by delivering written notice to the board of directors, its chairman or the corporation.

B. A resignation is effective when the notice is delivered unless the notice specifies a later effective date or event.

Therefore, in my opinion, posting it on the website is technically not enough.

That said, what constitutes a quorum for your Board?
If a quorum still exists with the vacancy, then business can be conducted.
See: 10-810. Vacancy on board
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/06/2020 5:54 AM  
Posted By DebW3 on 01/05/2020 5:09 PM
If a board member posts her resignation letter on our HOA website does that become effective immediately, or does the member have to physically deliver the letter to a board member in person for it to be effective?

What if they died? Would you still require them to deliver it in person? You might be waiting a long time.....

Notice is a notice. Print it out, put it in the files.
AugustinD

01/06/2020 6:14 AM  
Posted By DebW3 on 01/06/2020 2:55 AM
MelissaP1, thank you for your reply. I agree, however it puts the board out of compliance since the bylaws state the board must have a minimum of 5. With her resignation, it puts them to 4 so the President is stating he has not accepted the resignation therefore it is not official. I read somewhere that it does not have to be accepted by a board member to be valid, but cannot find that again to support my cause.

Tim's citation of what the Arizona nonprofit corporations statute is helpful. The statute says nothing about the resignation having to be accepted by the President or anyone else. I think your corporation's President is jerking you all around when he says the resignation is not valid on account of his not having accepted it.

Like Tim, the reason I reject the resignation as not valid is because no proof can be had that what was posted on the web site was actually posted by the woman who allegedly is resigning. For example, if the web site is run by someone mischievous, or if anyone can post anything at the web site unchecked, who knows who actually submitted the posted notice of resignation? If a director wants to resign, she should submit it to the corporation's registered agent or President, preferably obtaining a receipt for the submission or sending this letter of resignation by certified mail, return receipt requested. To find out who the registered agent is, the director should go to https://ecorp.azcc.gov/EntitySearch/Index

AugustinD

01/06/2020 6:16 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 01/06/2020 6:14 AM
If a director wants to resign, she should submit it to the corporation's registered agent or President, preferably obtaining a receipt for the submission or sending this letter of resignation by certified mail, return receipt requested.
Or per the statute, the woman who supposedly wants to resign could submit it to all of the directors.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

01/06/2020 7:31 AM  

Like Tim, the reason I reject the resignation as not valid is because no proof can be had that what was posted on the web site was actually posted by the woman who allegedly is resigning. For example, if the web site is run by someone mischievous, or if anyone can post anything at the web site unchecked, who knows who actually submitted the posted notice of resignation?

Call the person up. Did you post your resignation on the web site? If yes.....accepted.
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/06/2020 8:01 AM  
Check your bylaws for filling vacancies. No problem in filling that vacancy.

Your president is pulling your chain.
KerryL1
(California)

01/06/2020 8:19 AM  
Augustin & Tim have it right, Deb. No requirement that the resignation be "accepted," but the letter or email of the resignation must go to the people in Tim's "A."

The Board only needs a quorum to conduct business, so that would be three in Deb's case. To fill the vacancy, check your bylaws, Deb.
SheilaJ1
(South Carolina)

01/06/2020 9:32 AM  
I'll take a different approach to this, I believe in most cases it does have to be accepted by a majority vote.

The person resigned for a reason, if the board doesn't give an effective date and then that board member gets in trouble for something they did after or that is pending, then in most cases that member wants to be back on the board to be covered under the insurance. We have had a few that have changed their minds about when to resign, most had changed the effective date to make sure their pending actions are completed.

Most just say resignation out of anger. And if the member does contest that they should be allowed to be covered for something and they take the issue to court, they have a strong argument in the fact that the board never accepted it.

KerryL1
(California)

01/06/2020 11:07 AM  
Maybe in SC, Sheila, but in CA corporate codes and also in my HOA's bylaws, the resignation does NOT have to accepted. The one resigning merely needs to address it to the Board or registered agent and write they're resigning on an certain date.

Can you, Sheila, cite state or you HOA's bylaws that say the board must vote to accept a director's resignation?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/06/2020 11:18 AM  
Posted By SheilaJ1 on 01/06/2020 9:32 AM
I'll take a different approach to this, I believe in most cases it does have to be accepted by a majority vote.

The person resigned for a reason, if the board doesn't give an effective date and then that board member gets in trouble for something they did after or that is pending, then in most cases that member wants to be back on the board to be covered under the insurance. We have had a few that have changed their minds about when to resign, most had changed the effective date to make sure their pending actions are completed.

Most just say resignation out of anger. And if the member does contest that they should be allowed to be covered for something and they take the issue to court, they have a strong argument in the fact that the board never accepted it.

So let us say the BOD does not accept my resignation? What are they going to do? Hog tie me and bring me to meetings?

I say in reality a resignation is effective when the person resigning says it is.
GenoS
(Florida)

01/06/2020 11:49 AM  
It's so easy in Florida. A resignation is effective when given unless it specifies a date in the future when it will become effective. A resignation does not have to be "accepted" by anyone.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/06/2020 11:50 AM  
Waaaay too fine of a point.

Resignation was made - apparently no one has contested its authenticity.

It must be real, then.

Make note of it at the next Board meeting.

Move on.
JaredC
(Texas)

01/06/2020 3:06 PM  
I was an HOA President for about 12 years in Texas. Our governing documents required 3 board members and I was one of three when I very abruptly quit. I sent an email to our management company and remaining two board members. No problemo.

It's a volunteer job and anyone can quit whenever they want. No one has any power to stop it. What are they going to do put you in HOA jail? GTFO.

Practically speaking the HOA needs to make a good faith effort to fill the position whether via appointment of a replacement officer to fulfill the remainder of the term or setup an election. That demonstrates to a court their desire to follow the law even if there is no one to appoint or elect. In my case they held an open meeting, appointed a new officer, and elected new positions (president, vice president, treasurer/secretary). Easy peasy.
SheilaJ1
(South Carolina)

01/06/2020 3:11 PM  
Sometimes if an officer resigns the board carries on with appointing a new director only later to find out the volunteer never officially resigned as a director.

The resignation letter must be clear.
JohnH38
(South Carolina)

01/06/2020 4:50 PM  
As mentioned elsewhere, our elections are rigged and unless you are anointed by the board, not a chance. Owners know that and ergo do not apply. When a board member resigns, it is after the deadline to file an application OR after the election allowing the board to select their preferred candidate. Good Ole Boy system indeed.

Thanks
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/06/2020 4:53 PM  
JohnH,

Sounds like it’s time to get organized and make the political process work for you.

KerryL1
(California)

01/06/2020 5:32 PM  
One good point that Sheila of SC raises is that if someone resigning is both an officer and a director, they must resign in writing from both. The resignation must be sent to Tim's "A" above.

Even though it's true that not all officers must be directors in all HOAs. Still resignation is indeed, easy.

Some bylaws, however, like ours, do not require the Board to fill a vacancy. On our board of 7, when 3 of her buddy-directors ALL lost reelection in late Oct., the director resigned a month later. Our board will decide at out late Jan. meeting if we'll fill the vacancy.

Our bylaws do give Owners the option to fill the board vacancy, but I don't think they'd take steps to do it.
AugustinD

01/06/2020 5:32 PM  
Posted By SheilaJ1 on 01/06/2020 9:32 AM
The person resigned for a reason, if the board doesn't give an effective date and then that board member gets in trouble for something they did after or that is pending, then in most cases that member wants to be back on the board to be covered under the insurance.
Every HOA insurance policy I have seen covers both current and former board members (for actions taken while on the board).
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/06/2020 6:04 PM  
I’m not sure a Board could be required to fill a voluntary vacancy.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Resignation of a board memeber

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement