Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 06, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: replacing an area on the roof
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KarenF8
(New Jersey)

11/30/2019 8:52 AM  
How much of an area of the roof can be replaced without filling out the proper ARB form? Our rules and regs say that that no exterior changes may be done without approval. The contractor is saying in NJ a small portion can be replaced without approval
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/30/2019 9:30 AM  
Rule of thumb... NEVER listen to a contractor telling you anything about your HOA!!! They ONLY want the work. Could care less if it is in violation with your HOA or not. They will leave you high and dry or convince you to do more of the roof.

When living in a HOA always ask for PERMISSION 1st than apologize later. Believe it or not, they could actually be saving you here in this kind of request from some scrupulous contractors.

Now if this was to repair a hole or damage, then it could be a different story. Just in regards of temporarily putting a tarp on or shingles for a hole. I'd still submit something to the HOA so they understand a temporary damage fix. Just make sure the materials you using match.

I had a tree fall on my roof recently. Put a hole in it. Hired some contractors to fix the damaged part. Little did I know that they fixed it but used completely different shingle color. They did what I paid them for. Replaced the area of damage. It just wasn't spelled out to be the SAME materials. Was trying to avoid filing an insurance claim...

Former HOA President
KarenF8
(New Jersey)

11/30/2019 9:49 AM  
Is there such a rule that they can replace a portion to fix a portion to cover a leak without approval?
The contractor is doing it now. They renters living there did not submit an ARB form. A portion of the roof is already ripped off.
I notified them that they needed to stop and file the proper forms. They will be fined but the contractor is saying that in NJ they can replace a portion to fix the hole without permission.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/30/2019 10:06 AM  
Why do your rules say? CCRs? R&Rs? Ask the ACB or approval chain for an immediate ruling?

If a roof is leaking, the leak must be stopped- you can't ask someone to submit forms to stop a leak. Once the leak is repaired, then the roofing material will need to be replaced - if it is the same roofing material, then I suspect you are OK.

Contractor has zip to do with this.

Renters have zip to do with this.

Any issue regarding roofing look and type (other than a leak) is likely only between the owner and the Board/ACB.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/30/2019 10:36 AM  
I say if a repair and the end result is identical then there is no need for approval.
AugustinD

11/30/2019 11:23 AM  
A repair restoring a roof to its prior condition before the damage occurred is not an exterior change.
KarenF8
(New Jersey)

11/30/2019 11:33 AM  
Im asking because I am a board member. There are to be no changes to the exterior without approval. So the owner will be fined for not filing an ARB form and not receiving approval before starting the work as per our rules and regs. . These are troublesome renters and we have had many problems with them.
We the Association are in the process of getting proposals for the entire roofs to be changed in the exact same color as our rules and regs state.

As far as the violation, the contractor said that there is a rule that allows them to change a portion without approval. Ive looked on the internet and cannot find such a rule.
Im just asking for anyones expertise in contracting building rules, before we send the violation.
I appreciate everyones input.
KarenF8
(New Jersey)

11/30/2019 11:39 AM  
They changed the shingles. All of the exterior must remain the same as per our rules and regs.
KerryL1
(California)

11/30/2019 11:43 AM  
First, Karen, why is your board dealing with the tenants at all?? You should only be dealing with Owners UNLESS your documents somehow say otherwise, which I doubt. This also means you cannot fine the tenants, only the owners.

But, in this case, fine the owners for what? A roof patch of the SAME color and material as the original is NOT a "change" as other posters have pointed out.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

11/30/2019 12:12 PM  
Some towns and cities do not require permits for repairs and patches to roofs but do require them for replacements of greater than some percentage. However that has nothing to do with what the HOA requires. Who is responsible for the roof the HOA or the unit owner? IF the roof is the owners responsibility than he would be required to get approval unless he replaced the bad shingles with ones that looked the same and you could not tell where the new shingles where installed. If he changed the appearance he needs the HOA approval.
AugustinD

11/30/2019 12:12 PM  
Posted By KarenF8 on 11/30/2019 11:39 AM
They changed the shingles. All of the exterior must remain the same as per our rules and regs.

Are the new shingles a different color (setting aside differences due to the sun fading the surrounding, old shingles)? A different material?

Maybe I am reading you wrong. But for what it is worth, most of the regulars here do not post off the top of their heads. What they say is based on a lot of study of statutes, covenants, case law interpreting statutes and covenants, and HOA attorneys' advice over the years about enforcing the covenants et cetera.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/30/2019 12:13 PM  
I agree with Kerry. Why are you dealing with the tenants and why would they be responsible for submitting a form? This sounds like it's more of a repair situation if not emergency. Hopefully they replace the shingle with matching shingles. Sounds like they will be on the list for a roof replacement when the time comes.

The tenant's and the contractor have NO involvement in the HOA at all. The contractor is lying. The owner should be involved.

Former HOA President
KarenF8
(New Jersey)

11/30/2019 1:09 PM  
The owner will be fined as stated.The shingles are different then the ones already there .

I just happened to be outside when I heard and saw this happening. So I asked why they were replacing the roof without approval or submitting the proper forms. I told him to cease work until the forms are in and approved. Thats when the contractor told me that they do not have to submit anything to make a repair to half of the roof. They told me theat the owner gave them approval. i had to let them know that the person there was a renter. The renter has no authority , i know that.

I went to the computer to see if there were any such contractor building rule/ allowance before we apply the violation and fine. I could not find anything so I decided to ask all of your opinion.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/30/2019 1:46 PM  
First part - If the roof was leaking, it needed to be stopped. The renters could certainly arrange for this on behalf of the owners, as could a management company rental agency. This require no permission as it was leaking.

Second part - once the leak is repaired, then, given the roofing material is the same, it can be repaired - without permission. Obviously, a different material, color, etc, cannot be used.

Karen - am I missing something?
GenoS
(Florida)

11/30/2019 6:14 PM  
In my opinion, the roofer is ignorant, confused, or lying.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > replacing an area on the roof

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement