Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 06, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Gift Cards
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChrisW13
(Georgia)

11/24/2019 6:43 AM  
Hello. Can a HOA give away gift cards purchased with hoa dues for a contest of yard of the month?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/24/2019 6:56 AM  
Yes.
ChrisW13
(Georgia)

11/24/2019 7:04 AM  
Is there any limits to dollar amount or frequency?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/24/2019 7:30 AM  
You have voted for certain people to run your HOA and decide FOR YOU how to spend your money. It is up to them. If you dont like it, you can vote someone else in or do it yourself.
NpB
(Arizona)

11/24/2019 7:50 AM  
Check with your CCRs, since a lot of them only permit funds be used for common area expenses. This giveaway is akin to donating money from HOA funds to a charity in remembrance of a deceased owner. In my opinion, it is illegal.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/24/2019 8:26 AM  
It depends. My HOA this would be a HUGE No-No. That is because the HOA money is EVERY member's money. The Board is just the elected stewards to manage it. A Gift card or buying dinner etc... isn't a budgetary item that needs to be paid for out of the HOA operating budget. It isn't an operational expense.

Now does this exclude a HOA from doing so? Not exactly but not recommended unless membership is on board with the HOA spending such money.

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/24/2019 9:36 AM  
1. Doesn’t sound like much money.

2. If Board has approved, then, unless seriously outside of your docs or statutes, then it’s probably not worth addressing ... unless you and many others have a problem then you can change out the Board. Does most of the community agree with you?

3. Or, you and many others can take the Board to court - lotsa money.

If 1., above is true, to do anything other than 2., above, is pretty silly.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/24/2019 10:01 AM  
George "Not a lot of money" means different things to different HOA's. Considering you are to collect as much as you need to spend out a $20 gift certificate can add up. My HOA we couldn't afford to buy a gift card especially for something your supposed to be doing already. Keeping your yard nice is a sense of pride not a monetary award.

Our budget we had 107 homeowners. $50 a month. It covered garbage pickup, recycling, pool/clubhouse maintenance, insurance, and lawncare. Not all 107 homeowners paid on time or at all. So could only depend on 90 of the 107 monthly to pay on time. Our expenses were 5K. If you did the math, we could depend on 4.5K. It costs money to pursue those who didn't pay or late.

So a $20 gift card or buying coffee for a clubhouse meeting? No way. It was an extra expense that wasn't necessary.

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/24/2019 10:49 AM  
That’s my point ... pick 2 and move out.

Or moan about such a small issue (Using your example ... $20 x 12 = $240 ... or attorney?)
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/24/2019 11:18 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 11/24/2019 8:26 AM
It depends. My HOA this would be a HUGE No-No. That is because the HOA money is EVERY member's money. The Board is just the elected stewards to manage it.

I totally agree its a no-no. Really dumb idea.

But the question was.... can they do it. Answer is yes.
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/24/2019 11:30 AM  
The HOA I once lived in made $40K each year on our investments with our reserve accounts. We spend at least $10K annually on social events. If your only concerns are raising one dollar for every dollar of expense, then your not going to be able to do a lot. I don't know anywhere that says you can't do it.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/24/2019 11:37 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 11/24/2019 11:30 AM
The HOA I once lived in made $40K each year on our investments with our reserve accounts.

When I hear stuff like this I think Bernie Maddoff. Sure, could be true. But then again...... might not be.

People are good about making fake bank statements and profit sheets.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/management-firm-owner-admits-stealing-over-25-million-client-homeowner-and-condo
GenoS
(Florida)

11/24/2019 11:51 AM  
The HOA I once lived in made $40K each year on our investments with our reserve accounts.

Mine made $60k. But only for a few years. It was the result of a $1.2 million insurance settlement that was left in the bank earning $5k a month in interest for a couple of years. This was after the hurricanes of 2004 and before the Great Financial Collapse of 2008.

We spend nothing out of our budget for social activities.
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/24/2019 11:55 AM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 11/24/2019 11:37 AM

When I hear stuff like this I think Bernie Maddoff. Sure, could be true. But then again...... might not be.

People are good about making fake bank statements and profit sheets.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/management-firm-owner-admits-stealing-over-25-million-client-homeowner-and-condo

First, I was called damaged goods, now I'm called a liar.

Let you do the math. $1.5M in reserve funds earning on average 4.5% annually in interest.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/24/2019 1:28 PM  

First, I was called damaged goods, now I'm called a liar.

Never called you a liar. Were Bernie Maddoff's victims liars?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/24/2019 2:06 PM  
Take a look at your association budget - does it have some sort of line item for community building activities like a block party or contest? If so it's probably ok. I'd also check board meeting minutes to see if there was a discussion about the contest and a motion approving X amount would be spent on a number of cards worth a specific amount of money.

If none of that happened, I would attend the next board meeting and ask them -did you do that already? If so, what was the response?
SamE2
(New Jersey)

11/24/2019 2:34 PM  
If your documents are silent on it Board can do it. I think if they give any one person over $600 they would have to 1099 them.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/24/2019 7:28 PM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 11/24/2019 1:28 PM
Were Bernie Maddoff's victims liars?

Some of them were. See Fred Wilpon.

"In fact, we turned down the Madoff Funds more than six years ago and told many of our investors including the Wilpon and Katz families our concerns. Notwithstanding our concerns, the Wilpon and Katz families continued to invest with Madoff Securities."
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement