Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 06, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Rules on Trucks
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LaurieM6
(Florida)

11/22/2019 9:32 AM  
My HOA just says no trucks. It does not specify anything more than that They do not want residents to own a truck.
Here is my complaint. They say you can not own a truck. fine
But they also read into that that you cannot have an overnight guest with a truck.
They have towed a truck recently.
I would like some feedback on this.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/22/2019 10:03 AM  
Laurie,

You are going to need to provide excerpted info from your docs to give us enough details.

What kind of association?
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/22/2019 10:54 AM  
Unless there is some type of safety concern regarding truck, the policy would be deemed discriminatory and throw out in a court of law.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/22/2019 10:58 AM  
Mark,

Perhaps leaving some space for uncertainty might be a good idea?

I think, depending on the deed restrictions, it could go either way.
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/22/2019 11:23 AM  
I found this on a search on the internet

Question:

I am having an issue at our community in Jupiter, Florida, in that they do not allow trucks to be parked at any time on the premises. Our development was constructed in 1981 and operates as an HOA. The original documents state

that “no trucks are allowed.” However, over time, many communities have changed these rules due to a changing society, which accepts trucks as passenger vehicles. Our association continues to fine residents who park trucks in the community. Is this reasonable?

Also, on the same note, the community has allowed a resident to place a charging station on the common area to accommodate an electric vehicle. My question is, if they change the rules to allow an electric vehicle, but they do not change the rule regarding trucks, would this be considered discrimination?

Answer:
The covenants found within a declaration of covenants are afforded a broad presumption of validity, and they are not invalidated unless they violate a fundamental constitutional right, are against public policy, or are arbitrary in their application. Restrictions on trucks in residential communities are very common, and they are generally enforceable. It is also not “discrimination” to allow certain vehicles, such as electric vehicles, but not others, such as trucks. Your truck does not have any rights of its own, and HOA covenants can be entirely unreasonable, so long as they do not violate the fundamental principles above. I am not aware that any court has recognized a public policy against banning trucks. There is no fundamental constitutional right to park or keep a truck, and the covenant is not applied arbitrarily (it applies to all trucks equally). So, if this is in fact a covenant in your declaration, it would be enforceable.

Where a rule like this would be subject to challenge is with respect to the definition of a truck. Most covenants are more elaborate, and specify the specific types of vehicles that are restricted—RVs, pickup trucks, panel vans, trailers, etc. If, for instance, your declaration literally restricts “trucks,” and if your association allows truck-type vehicles (such as SUVs or small pickups), you could make a reasonable argument that they are prohibited from enforcing the covenant against you because these vehicles constitute trucks, as well, and so the rule has been selectively enforced. There is some support for the idea that certain SUVs should qualify as trucks, particularly if they are built on a truck platform, and so that might give you an opening to challenge the rule.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/22/2019 5:56 PM  
Posted By LaurieM6 on 11/22/2019 9:32 AM
My HOA just says no trucks. It does not specify anything more than that They do not want residents to own a truck.
But they also read into that that you cannot have an overnight guest with a truck.

Truck is a very broad and vague description. Does your governing documents have a glossary that defines what a truck is?
GenoS
(Florida)

11/22/2019 9:34 PM  

If the CC&Rs say no trucks on the property then it doesn't matter who it belongs to. I've never seen any CC&Rs that say no one can own a truck. Most no-truck associations make exceptions for trucks coming onto the property to do work or otherwise provide services to the association or the individual homeowners.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/23/2019 5:18 AM  
Laurie,

Need some specific language - excerpts - from your governing docs.

Otherwise, we’re just pontificating.
LaurieM6
(Florida)

11/24/2019 10:41 AM  
The documents only say trucks,, nothing more. I understand they do not want owners to have trucks. we are a senior community and we are Self-Governed.
My complaint is they are saying you cannot have a guest stay overnight, even for one night as a visitor. Do they need to elaborate on the truck rule and can they tow a truck if you have an overnight guest with a truck?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/24/2019 11:32 AM  
My HOA just says no trucks.

No amazon deliveries for you. No trucks.
EdC5
(Florida)

11/25/2019 5:13 AM  
I’m going to put in my 3¢. In general, if a community’s CC&Rs prohibit something, then it’s prohibited. However, in recent years there has been discussion as to whether or not declarations prohibiting “pick-up trucks” is still enforceable since they’ve gone from being “work vehicles” to “everyday vehicles”.

Since I manage associations in Florida that’s what I’ll speak to. There are a few trial court opinions that restrictions on pickups are unenforceable, however since trial term opinions have no precedent value and, as far as I can find, no appellate court has ruled on the issue, I’d have to say that the CC&Rs are still enforceable. Also, there is substantial case law stating that covenants in a declaration are presumed valid and enforceable, and they are only unenforceable if they abridge some fundamental right, are arbitrary in their application or are against the public policy of the state.

Edward J Cooke, CMCA, LCAM
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/25/2019 6:55 AM  
I would still like to see the language in this particular case.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement