Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Suing a HOA while you live there: wouldn't the HOA make your life hard?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulJ6
(New York)

11/22/2019 8:50 AM  
I have sued a HOA before, but I didn't live in the property. The HOA didn't do anything to me during the litigation.

I'm considering suing a HOA now, but I live there. I have concerns that HOA management would retaliate against me, such by trying to seize my property, cutting off my power and otherwise harassing me.

For those of us who have sued HOAs before, while we live there: how much as the HOA retaliated, and how hard did the HOA make your life?

Thanks.
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/22/2019 9:00 AM  
Being you're in New York, the only person I could see doing that would be Donald Trump as the landlord.
AugustinD

11/22/2019 9:12 AM  
How hard will they make the life of someone who threatens legal action? Last year my former HOA's board passed a motion that allows the board to impose a special assessment upon any member who complains (about anything, and even if a suit is not threatened). The special assessment will be for the HOA's costs to address the issue. Specifically the costs include the HOA attorney's bill and the costs of management's time (billed by the hour). The board claims that these costs result in a "benefit" that is unique to the member. The covenants allow the imposition of a special assessment on any member, to recover the costs of any "benefit" unique to the member.

Of course this is nonsense. The Board has created a legal fiction when it interprets 'benefit' as it does. Also, the HOA attorney is obliged to take the board's side. Lastly, the HOA attorney's actual advice cannot even be shared with the member, due to attorney-client privilege. But the cost of fighting this new rule would be prohibitive.

I think it's easier to get rid of a U. S. President than it is to remedy HOA boards that are breaking the law.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/22/2019 9:17 AM  
Seizing property or cutting off power? Hardly harassment - usually requires legal action, right?.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/22/2019 3:16 PM  
Suing your HOA is suing yourself and your neighbors... So yes you can imagine your neighbors won't be happy necessarily. Harrasment is a criminal offense. So there's the police if that were to really happen. The HOA can't randomly do the things you think they can. You MUST keep paying your dues no matter what. If you stop paying your dues, well then they can indeed lien/foreclose against you. Otherwise, they can always counter-sue you for any other expenses including legal expenses for their expenses.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Suing a HOA while you live there: wouldn't the HOA make your life hard?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement