Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 06, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Running for hoa president
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ElaineT
(Vermont)

11/19/2019 5:55 PM  
I am running for HOA president. Should I submit a formal resume and cover letter.

MarkW18
(Florida)

11/19/2019 6:10 PM  
The normal process is running for a position as a director on your Board. This position, as director, is normally done by the Members at their annual meeting. The other way is being appointed by the Board through a a vacancy.

The positions of President, VP and so on is done by the Board, unless your Bylaws outline a different procedure. If you believe a resume and cover letter will potentially influence a Board, I guess, knock yourself out.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/19/2019 6:46 PM  
Elaine,

So you are already a director that was elected by your HOA membership?

If your HOA allows direct election of officers, please provide an excerpt if your governing docs for us to review.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/19/2019 7:01 PM  
Uhm why? Can you walk and chew gum at the same time? Your clearly over qualified then... No one needs your "resume". It's a VOLUNTEER position. What people need to see? That you WANT to do the job and are willing to volunteer to do it. Plus in many HOA's you run for a board position 1st then that elected board elects the officer positions.

I'd highly recommend you get VERY familiar with your CC&R's, by-laws, and Articles of Incorporation. If you have a A.C.C, I'd get up to date with that as well. Make sure you can reference your rules when asked a question. Don't be afraid to say "I will wait till can consult the documents BEFORE giving an answer".

Best be prepared to live and breath the position. It's basically going to become your "DNA" if you win. You will now be "Them or They". You represent the total of the HOA. Show others you are willing to be all that and you have a shot. A resume is for a job. This is a life position.

You could put this experience on your resume but would not submit one.

Former HOA President
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/19/2019 7:26 PM  
I would push back on making sure you read your CCRs, Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation and Rules. A normal person can knock that off in a couple of hours.

The real questions would be, how old are your documents, how old is the community. If you have a old community with documents never revised, do you know where to find legal help. Do you know current state statues, both civil and corporate. How are you as a leader. Can you persuade others in what is best for the community you represent. Do you know how to run a Board meeting, an annual meeting? How well do you know HOA finances.

This is not a life position, it is for as long as you feel you can contribute and someone else can step into that role.You don't need a resume or a cover letter. A statement, read to the members should do the trick.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/19/2019 8:51 PM  
Melissa,

I know you mean well, but some Associations actually have enough civic minded folks interested in serving, that a blurb, summary, resume, etc, along with proposed plans and ideas are often used as introductory tools.

Please consider more helpful inputs to posters?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/19/2019 9:07 PM  
Life does not mean a term. It means an life activity. Have never seen a HOA that required a "resume". Have you seen a politician do this or speak of what they have to offer?

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/20/2019 5:13 AM  
Posted By MarkW18 on 11/19/2019 7:26 PM
I would push back on making sure you read your CCRs, Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation and Rules. A normal person can knock that off in a couple of hours. ....

I mustn't be normal, then. :-)

I can't tell you how many times I went back to our Declaration and bylaws to find the exact wording for a particular item, because exact wording matters when issues arise. (This is where you get into arguments over "shall" vs. "may".) Not only that, information could appear in unexpected places.

Example: we're a condo community and water is paid for by our monthly assessments. A year ago a homeowner complained about how unfair this was, and I'd remembered reading language in our documents noting that included utilities in the assessment can provide an unfair advantage to some homeowners and an unfair disadvantage to others. I had to read through all of our governing documents **three times** - and was beginning to think I'd dreamed up the whole thing - before I found the passage I was looking for. Not in our Declaration where it talked about assessments and other relevant info. No indeedy - it was in our Bylaws.

So a few hours will give you the gist of things, which is probably good enough for someone who is trying to decide whether or not they can live with the restrictions and whatnot. But it's not good enough for a director who is trying to resolve various issues in accordance with the governing docs and who wants to feel confident in their decisions. At least it wasn't good enough for me.
SheilaJ1
(South Carolina)

11/20/2019 6:04 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/19/2019 8:51 PM
Melissa,

I know you mean well, but some Associations actually have enough civic minded folks interested in serving, that a blurb, summary, resume, etc, along with proposed plans and ideas are often used as introductory tools.

Please consider more helpful inputs to posters?

I’m in agreement with Melissa on this one. A resume is not required and just wait until angry neighbors find out where you based on your resume details and contact you.

The only requirement for most states is being an owner and have paid all dues to date.
TimM11

11/20/2019 6:22 AM  
Posted By ElaineT on 11/19/2019 5:55 PM
I am running for HOA president. Should I submit a formal resume and cover letter.

I really don't think that's necessary in most HOAs. I'm assuming you're already on the Board of Directors for yours? In mine, people who wanted to be on the board were just asked to submit a paragraph or so explaining why they wanted to do it, or speak at the annual meeting. From there, the Board decided among themselves who the specific officers would be.
LisaD6

11/20/2019 6:40 AM  
If you have had experience as a president in the past I would send a memo explaining it. otherwise they dont care about your resume. And when you go to get on the board you go on as a director. the association does not pick the positions.. after the owners meeting the board picks who is president and so on So if you get on the board you might become secretary.At least thats what we follow. Make sure you understand whats going to happen when you get on the board with the positions. The directors usually do not let the newbie go into the president position right away. unless you were on the board in the past.
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/20/2019 6:43 AM  
Well I am going into my 10th year on Boards and 6th as a President and I feel a few things make you the strongest candidate for the Top position.

1) You have to know the Rules.
2) You have to live by them and respect them. Seems simple but it is not always done.
3) You have to have enough life experience to know when something is not right. Vendors Lie
4) You should be excited to go to your meetings. Passionate
5) I always suggest having Skin like an Alligator and a memory like an Elephant
6) Be able to fight for what you believe but willing to lose some fights. Compromise
7) Have the best interest of the Community at heart. Not your Pet projects.
8) Remember you are part of a team. 20% of the board so you have to collaborate.
9) You must have the time to give to the position. Typically takes 50% more than average board members.
10) You have to be willing to learn and research the stuff you know that you don't know.

If you have many or most of these qualities you should not have to put it on paper. Your Board members should already know you have them. If they don't think you will lead them you won't get their support. It is not always your time. If you want it that bad work harder to get it next time.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/20/2019 8:27 AM  
Don't forget your tax returns.
Look what happened to the orange man when he didnt.
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/20/2019 10:52 AM  
I never implied that reading your governing docs within a certain time frame would ever be suffice. My point is really in the second paragraph. Much of an association's governing docs are not black and white. They may need some interpretation at some point in time. If they are old, have thy ever been updated. Does a president know where to find state statues to verify new law that trump current docs.

I would never imply that someone would become an expert after one reading. You will always need to be able to reference your docs to deal with current situations within your community, but also know that there is also a hierarchy if your documents haven't been updated. This is even more important when associations try and self-manage themselves.

I formally served as a president of a relatively large HOA. I read my documents in one evening, but I went so far as getting certified as a CMCA through Community Association Institutes (CAI). In my circumstance, I wasn't considered as a president, not because of experience, but because I poised a threat to the establishment.

The sad fact though, and this is based on personal experience, most board members have never read their governing documents. Maybe the poster's cover letter and resume would be more relevant if the positions on a board were actually done by the members and not by the board themselves. Just have to change their documents.

Good luck to the poster.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/20/2019 11:37 AM  
Elaine

Typically one does not run directly for an Officers position. Typically one runs for the BOD thus becoming a Director. The the BOD gets together and elects its own Officers from among itself.

When the dust settles, some will be an Officer and a Director. The rest will be Directors. Regardless of this, it is one vote per person and one vote only.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/20/2019 12:11 PM  
Just making sure am clear.

I don’t believe resumes etc are required, just saying some communities use them.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/20/2019 2:11 PM  
In Florida, candidates are permitted to submit a one-page single-sided "information sheet" which is distributed in the election meeting materials. It's not required, but it can serve as an introduction to members of the association who may not be familiar with who you are. It doesn't necessarily have to be a formal "resume". In fact, a resume that was longer than a single-sided letter-size piece of paper would not be included in the election package.

Connecticut statutes are different.
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/20/2019 2:17 PM  
In both Texas and Ca. the 2 States that I have served on boards 3 or 4 generic questions are asked. The candidates can put their views on display here. In Ca. we were limited to a Total of 250 words of answers. Homeowners do not want to read a resume and most don't even read any part of it or mail in the ballot.

I have always been in favor of having a Meet the Candidates night so that people who are interested can meet and ask questions of the potential board members.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Running for hoa president

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement