Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How many Board members is to many?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DouglasA1
(Arizona)

11/07/2019 7:25 AM  
I have heard from quite a few people in my area, and i curious about the larger HOA community. We have 550 Homes in our community and the majority of answers i get and see is that for roughly every 150-200 homes there should be a board member assumiung your CC&Rs allow it.

Does anyone have any guidance around this?
TimM11

11/07/2019 7:43 AM  
Obviously, it depends on what your documents say. I've never seen anything in terms of general guidance, though.

In my old HOA, we didn't have a fixed number of BOD members, but could have up to 15 per our docs as long as it was an odd number. We usually had five, but sometimes up to seven and at times down to three. This was for an HOA in the upper double digits of units.
KerryL1
(California)

11/07/2019 8:22 AM  
We're a twin tower high rise condo of 200+ units. One director would not be anywhere close to enough casey of our complex infrastructure and even budgets.

We have 7 & one is a commercial director for the 5% of the premises that belong to the commercial owner. We also have a full-time onsite PM, who has an assistant. We could be fine with 5 instead of 7 directors.

I think most bylaws state a number or a range. AZ's corporations code might specify a minimum.
MarkW18
(Florida)

11/07/2019 9:06 AM  
I am going out on a limb and say you probably have a management company involved in your complex. That being said, all you probably need is three, that being the number of real officers allowed, president, secretary and treasurer. Also, what are you real day-to-day functions?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/07/2019 9:40 AM  
Our docs call for a BOD of 3 to 7 for 112 homes. We have decided 5 is sufficient. We have run a low as 3 and that was fine as we have an MC. I say with an MC, 3 to 5 is enough.
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/07/2019 11:40 AM  
We have nearly 1400 SFH and have 5 board members. I think any more or any less would be ineffective. The idea should not be to fill seats. It should be to get good quality people with diverse backgrounds that are willing to work for the greater good of the HOA.

I have often said that most people run for board positions for just a few main reasons.

1) They do not like or trust what the existing board is doing.
2) Thinks they are better suited to run the business
3) Does not have all of the facts but thinks they know all the answers.
4) Wants to make sure his or her issue gets resolved.

The worst of the above is number 4 because as soon as they succeed in getting what they want they become distant and stop contributing.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/07/2019 11:52 AM  
#4 is also known as having a personal agenda and they tend to be bad board members. The other 3 reasons cited are all valid. #1 and #3 usually go hand-in-hand.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/08/2019 3:44 PM  
I know of a neighborhood in my area that has 42 properties and 10 directors. It is reportedly a mess.
EdC5
(Florida)

11/10/2019 5:59 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/08/2019 3:44 PM
I know of a neighborhood in my area that has 42 properties and 10 directors. It is reportedly a mess.

I managed a property in Florida that had a theoretical board of 16 people (because of the way the community was set up -- in reality is was 9 or 10).

Edward J Cooke, CMCA, LCAM
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2019 6:08 AM  
And, another reason ... the one I and many have ... if not me then who?
PaulJ6
(New York)

11/10/2019 5:05 PM  
In private-sector companies, I see up to 7 directors, usually. More than that means longer meetings and too many people talking.

KellyM3
(North Carolina)

11/11/2019 7:10 AM  
Posted By DouglasA1 on 11/07/2019 7:25 AM
I have heard from quite a few people in my area, and i curious about the larger HOA community. We have 550 Homes in our community and the majority of answers i get and see is that for roughly every 150-200 homes there should be a board member assumiung your CC&Rs allow it.

Does anyone have any guidance around this?

A 5 to 9 member member would serve your community well. Don't stack the board to maximum numbers for the sake of full board capacity. It's quality and competence over headcount but meet your minimums for size.
ZaritaG
(California)

11/16/2019 6:25 AM  
We have 194 units in our community. When I moved here, there were 5 board members. When I joined the board, we rewrote the CCRs, stating a minimum of 3 board members, 5 as the maximum. This year we started with 5 and we are now down to 3. So we may stick with this number in the meantime
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How many Board members is to many?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement