Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Meeting locations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertK15
(Texas)

11/06/2019 9:28 PM  
Our current President insists on holding HOA board meetings (bi-monthly open to the public) at his private residence. His response to being questioned about this is "show me where anything says I can't have the meeting at my home". The rest of the board doesn't seem to care one way or another.

This guy is a real piece of work but has been in "control" of the board on and off for 10+ years.

We're in Texas and I can't find anything that says he can't hold the meetings at his house. MANY will not attend a meeting at his house so it's a way to stem discussion.

And please, I've done my turn in the "serve the neighborhood" cleaning up the mess this same guy made a few years ago and want no more of the "thanks" such service yields.

Thanks in advance!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/07/2019 4:08 AM  
Do not see anything wrong with this. Sounds like people who don't want to attend want an excuse not to. If you don't have a clubhouse to meet, then it's pretty much open where to go. Some have their meetings at the MC's location or a library. Which does cost money to rent. Can the HOA afford to spend money on renting a space?

Former HOA President
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/07/2019 4:43 AM  
Unless someone makes a motion to have the meetings in another place, probably nothing would change. I suppose the issue of handicapped accessibility might come into consideration.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

11/07/2019 6:36 AM  
As an outsider I would think you would all thank him for opening his home up to you for the meetings. I know I would not want to have our meetings in my house. Where do you prefer the meetings be held?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/07/2019 6:45 AM  
If he's got the space and business is being held as it should, I don't see the problem with this. I suppose one drawback would be if the president tried to kick someone out of the house if he/she said something he didn't like, but the rest of the board should step in at that point (as long as the person wasn't cussing or otherwise behaving inappropriately, he/she should get reasonable time to say whatever and then sit down and shut up.)

If others won't attend the meeting because they're afraid of speaking up in the man's house, it's on THEM to express their concerns to the rest of the board and then the rest of the board can vote to hold the meeting elsewhere. On the other hand, board meetings are business meetings, so I would hope your agenda has a space for a resident forum where people can speak up. You can set a time limit per speaker (e.g. two minutes) so everyone gets a chance to speak. You don't have to immediately address everything that comes up in a resident forum - some things will require some research and the homeowner should be contacted with an update. All of this should be stated to the attendees before the meeting starts.

When that ends, the business portion begins and the attendees should be encouraged to stay and listen to the proceedings, but shouldn't be allowed to ask questions or make comments so the board can get through the entire agenda. This would be the case even if the meeting was held in a clubhouse, public library, church, etc.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

11/07/2019 6:57 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 11/07/2019 6:45 AM
This would be the case even if the meeting was held in a clubhouse, public library, church, etc.

At a clubhouse, library, or church, people have an opportunity to gather into small groups - before, after, or even during a meeting - to speak among themselves. It might be the only time for people to find out how others think. Not everyone is comfortable speaking out in front of the entire group or even in front of the BOD.

If the meeting is at someone's house, it inconvenient to have those side-discussions. That said, if the meeting is accessible to all, then it's the BOD's decision where they meet. If the guy's a control freak, he'll be a control freak wherever you meet.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/07/2019 7:21 PM  
And that's why the rest of the board need to do their jobs and keep people like this in check! I have never understood why one of two people manage to terrorize a roomful of people, especially if they've the ones who can vote you out as easily as you were voted in. This is how bullies operate, and you know sooner or later someone has to stand up. It's not always pretty, but you have to start somewhere.

As for the people who aren't comfortable speaking up in a large group, that happens a lot and you don't always have to say something at that moment. If you want to sit quietly and observe and then talk to a few people, that's perfectly fine and it doesn't matter if you're in the guys house you hear people break off during a party and talk all the time
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/08/2019 10:16 AM  
My BOD (5) meets at my house. If we needed more room we could use a free room at the local library, which we use for our Annual Meeting.
FredS7
(Arizona)

11/08/2019 10:20 AM  
Since meeting rooms cost $ your president is saving you money.

If you have issues with his "control" that is a separate issue. Replace him in the next election if you wish. Expect that your first order of business will be to find a new meeting room.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/08/2019 3:36 PM  
Many meeting rooms are free - ya just gotta look around at libraries, public service facilities, local businesses and churches, etc.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement