Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need Some Advice
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DebbieC8
(Georgia)

11/02/2019 6:02 PM  
We live in GA, bought our home in 2017, had an HOA and paid our dues upfront at closing. Afterwards, talking to a neighbor who has been here a while, he started to fill us in on the HOA and the history of the subdivision. Said it had been through a lot. The original developer had declared bankruptcy, after the 2007/08 crisis. There were to be 2 phases to this SD, phase one of 5 homes, and then phase 2 of more homes to be built, down the street. Phase 2 never happened. As I stated, he went bankrupt and some of his investors took over the SD/HOA and we never heard anything. Fast forward to about a year ago, we notice the land/area that was slated for Phase 2 is being built with homes a lot different than ours. Our homes are all brick, very nice homes with large lots (3.5 to 4 acres). The homes he is now building are about 1/2 acre, about 130 to 180K homes. We were worried that the very large lot across from our home would be next and sure enough, just recently saw that he is applying for permits for driveways and such to build 3 small homes, similar to the ones down the way. This is unacceptable to us and we want to know if we have any recourse! We have names of the current developer, have our HOA and also have a couple of neighbors that are concerned as well. Does anyone have any advice as to what our next steps should be? To me, if the HOA was in place when we purchased the home/land, then we should have some rights. We were never told that anything was dissolved, received no written notice whatsoever. If nothing else, why wouldn't he build a nicer home that is similar to the ones close by?? Would appreciate your insight. Thanks!
LetA
(Nevada)

11/02/2019 6:30 PM  
Were there any notices from your local government seat alerting you to applications for zoning changes either signs in the vacant lot or a postcard mail to you?

It may be too late, and quite possibly that was the original plan. You should be able to look at the planned lots =, what and how they are zoned.

IF the lots are already zoned for residential you really don't have a leg to stand on unless the deeded zoning says 1 lot per acre for example.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/02/2019 7:10 PM  
Home values are based on REAL #'s. They are based on homes that sale/foreclose for similar size/bath/construction in a few mile radius. Your homes being the size they are should stay as they are. The other homes should sell at what they are.

I say this because my neighborhood is older homes versus the newer larger homes in neighborhood next door. Those homes sell for upwards to 200K more than our neighborhood. They also sell for nearly 300K versus my former HOA's with smaller homes. So for me a smaller home not made of brick has no relevance on what can sell my house for. They are all in the same school district and doesn't matter much.

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/02/2019 7:13 PM  
Debbie,

While I sympathize, what you describe sounds somewhat typical of what happens when a development changes hands prior to buildout and turnover.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/03/2019 5:27 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/02/2019 7:13 PM
Debbie,

While I sympathize, what you describe sounds somewhat typical of what happens when a development changes hands prior to buildout and turnover.

That is one of the risks you run when you buy into a community that is being built, and we saw a lot of it during the last housing crisis. Even a developer who remains solvent can change the types of homes being built. For one thing, buyers may now be looking for lower-priced homes. In addition, the developer would be looking to cut costs as much as possible.

I think that if current owners look through the paperwork they were given, nowhere will there be any sort of guarantee regarding future development. Anyone in business has to be free to react to changing market conditions - otherwise they won't stay in business for long.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/03/2019 6:13 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 11/03/2019 5:27 AM
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/02/2019 7:13 PM
Debbie,

That is one of the risks you run when you buy into a community that is being built, and we saw a lot of it during the last housing crisis. Even a developer who remains solvent can change the types of homes being built. For one thing, buyers may now be looking for lower-priced homes. In addition, the developer would be looking to cut costs as much as possible.

I think that if current owners look through the paperwork they were given, nowhere will there be any sort of guarantee regarding future development. Anyone in business has to be free to react to changing market conditions - otherwise they won't stay in business for long.

I agree.
PaulJ6
(New York)

11/07/2019 5:11 AM  
Everyone on this board does "need some advice"- a more focused title may help get the help you want.
DebbieC8
(Georgia)

11/14/2019 1:23 PM  
Thanks, I was brand new to the forum when I posted so didn't know where to go, so to speak. I will be more specific next time.
DebbieC8
(Georgia)

11/14/2019 1:27 PM  
I don't think $150K homes should be directly across the street from $400K homes. Most subdivisions don't work this way. Most builders build homes of similar size, construction and price, and therefore the people buying are all "on the same page" so to speak. I think it's going to look crappy to have 3 rinky-dink homes across the street from a larger, totally different home. Not much I can do at this point. It will affect our resale value, for sure. We've talked to the builder and he's not interested in building larger, more "equal looking" homes. Very sad for us!
DebbieC8
(Georgia)

11/14/2019 1:30 PM  
I agree with what you say, except I don't agree that people (buyers) are now looking for lower priced homes. Maybe post 2008, but that was a decade plus ago. Homes are now selling in pretty much every category, so I think this is just pure greed on the part of the builder and he's not thinking about those of us that already own property and houses close by.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/14/2019 2:54 PM  
Debbie

Like or not or agree with it or not, you got caught. While I am sorry for you, it happened. Often buying homes is a learning experience. While of little consequence to you now, you now know. I got bit once on promise of what was to happen that never materialized. I learned.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement