Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Small FL HOA has interest in splitting in 2
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SuzannC
(Florida)

10/30/2019 12:01 PM  
Hi Im on the board and of townhome community in FL where as there are only 44 units- 32 on one side of pond and 12 on the other. The side with 12 has made some demands on the board and basically stated that if they could not get more representation on the board, they either want their own budget and not pay for gate, sidewalk or pool expenses. And last option, they would like to split and divide the reserves. We are in the Tampa area, has anyone experienced this and does anyone know of an attorney in this area that you can recommend?
GenoS
(Florida)

10/30/2019 1:31 PM  
Sounds like a very expensive proposition. You would probably have to have 100% of all owners agree to a few things including how to split the existing reserve funds, which may involve having 2 separate reserve studies done, determining which associations bear what percentage of responsibility for the drainage system (storm drains, retention/detention ponds), dividing up any other common property or amenities.

I think all it would take is 1 owner who disagrees to screw everything up and that could happen at the last minute after you've spent time and money trying to line everything up.

I'm not an attorney and you should definitely have one holding your hand and guiding you through this every step of the way. The breakaway rebels probably will want their own attorney to look out for their interests in the divorce (which is basically what this is). I think the original association would need to go away and be replaced by 2 new ones. With 100% agreement of all the owners. And probably the county. And your Water Management District.

At the end of the day I think all that will cost a fortune. The lesson to be learned is look before you leap because after that, you make your bed and then you have to lay in it when you buy into an association.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/30/2019 1:32 PM  
OK, it's not like a divorce. That was a bad choice of words.
SuzannC
(Florida)

10/30/2019 1:42 PM  
Thank you- but it does kinda feel like a divorce. It is a small community and we are professionally managed, but for the last 20 years it has just been like a "pissing match" between the 2 sides. I wish all could just get along.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/30/2019 1:44 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 10/30/2019 1:32 PM

I think your choice of words were appropriate. Marriage often involves little or no up-front investigation. Divorce investigations - well, you could write a book - and some do.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/30/2019 1:44 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 10/30/2019 1:32 PM

I think your choice of words were appropriate. Marriage often involves little or no up-front investigation. Divorce investigations - well, you could write a book - and some do.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
SueW6
(Michigan)

10/30/2019 1:59 PM  
Have you done an informal poll of each side? The 32 might be more than OK with the 12 “seceding from the union. “

But to continue the divorce metaphor ... of course who would get custody of the “kids” (ie the pool and the gate, road access, water system ) and the split of the savings account will be very interesting to follow.

Keep us updated!
SuzannC
(Florida)

10/30/2019 2:06 PM  
I will update- it was the 12 that asked to "split" and all 12 of them are in agreement. We have our annual meeting in a few weeks and will take a vote from the other 32 on whether they would like to explore this. And yes dividing reserves, etc will be not fun.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/30/2019 2:21 PM  
As Geno mentioned this would probably require replacing the existing CCRs with new ones for each group. This might require not only 100% agreement from all owners, but possibly assent from the mortgage holders. My guess is that this is not likely to happen. If it does, I would suggest that the group of 12 should bear most of the cost since they are the ones who want the change.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/30/2019 2:28 PM  
When my HOA was half-built the developer bailed out. The homeowners were desperate for another developer or builder to come in and finish building so that the common expenses would be shard 100 ways instead of 50. I think if we were to split in 2 now everyone's expenses would go up. Double contracts, double bookkeeping, double attorneys, etc. We'd lose all our economies of scale. We could never do it. We have 2 detention ponds that the local Water Management District requires us to operate and maintain. They require ONE responsible party to hold the permit so there'd have to be some kind of agreement between the 2 sides that would need to be acceptable to the District. And then one side all of a sudden can't pay or won't pay and things get crazy from there.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Small FL HOA has interest in splitting in 2

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement