Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: proxy and voting question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EllieJ
(South Carolina)

10/27/2019 6:17 AM  
2 questions
we have 3 candidates running for 4 available slots in our upcoming annual election.
our proxy/ballot has the names of the 3 candidates and the option to write in 1 candidate.
i understand that signing the proxy will go towards quorum, but i do not want to cast votes for the 3 listed candidates.
i plan to vote for a write in candidate.
can i do that and will it invalidate my proxy?
i can't find anything in SC law indicating whether or not i have the option of writing in additional candidates.
nothing in our controlling documents that addresses this issue.
BenA2
(Texas)

10/27/2019 6:42 AM  
Calling it a proxy/ballot confuses things. Proxy generally means you are allowing someone to vote on your behalf (depending on your HOA, that could be the board, the president, or a member you designate). A ballot is generally used for you to cast your vote for the candidate(s) of your choice.

In some HOAs your only options are to vote in person or vote by proxy. Others allow absentee voting by sending in your ballot. It sounds like yours may be combining the proxy and balance, which is fine as long as it is allowed by your governing documents. I would clarify this with your board.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/27/2019 6:58 AM  
Agree with the confusion.

There are two types of proxies.

General: Assigns someone to be your representative and to cast a vote on your behalf.
How the vote is cast (for/against) is left to the discretion of the individual assigned as your proxy representative.

Directed: Assigns someone to be your representative and to cast a vote on your behalf.
It further directs the individual to cast the vote a specific way (for or against).
EllieJ
(South Carolina)

10/27/2019 7:08 AM  
thank you for your replies
1. our proxy and ballot is combined, and yes, it is compliant with our controlling documents.
2. since i cannot attend the meeting, i am really looking for an answer to my question regarding whether i can sign the proxy without voting for the candidates listed? will that invalidate my proxy?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/27/2019 10:08 AM  
Ellie

You can modify the existing proxy or make one of your own to express your desire. You can also assign your proxy to someone attending the meeting and have them vote the way you want.
BillH10
(Texas)

10/27/2019 12:02 PM  
Tim

In Texas, property owner associations are specifically authorized by the Property Code to include a third type of proxy, entitled "Proxy for the Purpose of Attaining a Quorum Only".

This type of proxy does not fit into either the General or Directed Proxy category as it does not convey voting rights in any way shape or form. I don't know if this type of proxy is used in other states, I can tell you its use has largely eliminated the problems associated with attaining quorum for annual meetings.

Like any other proxy, if the property owner attends the meeting, he or she is given the option of revoking the previously issued proxy or letting it stand.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/27/2019 12:35 PM  
We use Proxies for two purposes:

Main purpose is to obtain a Quorum at the Annual Meeting. Without, I doubt we would have a Quorum 20% of 112 required.

Second purpose would be for voting though we have never used it for such. As we allow BOD Nominations from the floor we have never prepared a BOD Ballot. Typically we have to "draft" people to be on the BOD.

Our MC mails out the Proxy along with the Annual Meeting Notice and Agenda. The Proxy names the BOD as the Proxy holder unless another person is named.

Typically the majority that attend do so to complain about an issue they are having have versus being there for the greater good of the association. As the HOA does all landscaping, the majority of the complaints are landscaping issues. Always has been and always will be.

Our HOA is easy very to run. We have an MC who handles the money. We have no amenities thus no discussions about such. Our budget is sound. We are very open about everything. We will Email any financial information asked for. Few owners want to get involved. Some might call it apathy. I call it happy homeowners.

BenA2
(Texas)

10/27/2019 8:28 PM  
Posted By BillH10 on 10/27/2019 12:02 PM
Tim

In Texas, property owner associations are specifically authorized by the Property Code to include a third type of proxy, entitled "Proxy for the Purpose of Attaining a Quorum Only".

This type of proxy does not fit into either the General or Directed Proxy category as it does not convey voting rights in any way shape or form. I don't know if this type of proxy is used in other states, I can tell you its use has largely eliminated the problems associated with attaining quorum for annual meetings.

Like any other proxy, if the property owner attends the meeting, he or she is given the option of revoking the previously issued proxy or letting it stand.

Bill, do you have the code section on that? I found 209.00592 which states that an absentee ballot can be used to establish a quorum (only for items appearing on the ballot). That section guarantees the right to vote by proxy but does not allow them to be used for the purpose of a quorum.

BillH10
(Texas)

10/28/2019 7:34 AM  
Ben, you raise a good point as I was told of the ability to include the language on annual meeting proxies by a local attorney who specializes in property owner law. We may also have received something from CAI.

I researched Section 209 last evening and this morning and cannot find a specific citation to the use of that language on a proxy. However, it has been in use since around 2015 and has been included on proxy forms for every HOA annual meeting I have seen since then. That does not provide the citation of course, however the widespread use of the proxy for quorum only language suggests there is solid legal ground for doing so.

I will continue to research the matter further.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > proxy and voting question

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement