Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Can you ADD Property to an existing HOA?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ValerieH2
(Florida)

10/25/2019 11:50 AM  
We have the opportunity to purchase an additional strip of land behind our house that would include lake access. It has been approved by the county for purchase, and the county said the additional parcel will become part of the Planned Development in which I live. I see on the county website where we can combine the 2 parcels into 1.

If the county says that the parcels will become part of my Planned Development, MUST the HOA cover it or is it their choice?

Will the HOA automatically include the additional piece of land, or what is the procedure for their approval? Do I need to file an Architectural form? I searched the HOA regulations and cant find anything.

I have 9 neighbors who also have the opportunity to purchase their lake access strips, and I think the HOA will be useful, especially to help with rules and regulations should there be a conflict with a neighbor. Some of my neighbors, however, do not want HOA involvement.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/25/2019 11:53 AM  
Those are all legal questions for which you need to talk to a private attorney.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/25/2019 12:16 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 10/25/2019 11:53 AM
Those are all legal questions for which you need to talk to a private attorney.

I agree, this is a tricky situation, a change like this might actually require a membership vote to approve, not just a board decision.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/25/2019 12:54 PM  
I will add that your governing documents may have information about adding to the property (either forbidding or allowing it, or if the latter, then a description of the hoops you'll need to jump through to make it legal).

I agree with the others that a lawyer is needed to make sure everything is done correctly.
KerryL1
(California)

10/25/2019 1:03 PM  
Do check your own governing docs first, probably your CC&Rs and maybe near the end to s if the HOA can add property. But, still with all of the above, you need to visit an HOA attorney.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/25/2019 3:50 PM  
Val

Are you looking to add the property for the use of all association members or only the 9 bordering it?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/25/2019 5:58 PM  
Posted By ValerieH2 on 10/25/2019 11:50 AM
We have the opportunity to purchase an additional strip of land behind our house that would include lake access. It has been approved by the county for purchase, and the county said the additional parcel will become part of the Planned Development in which I live.

What if you dont want it to become part of the planned development. Sale should still be able to happen? Right? Not sure why it would need to be approved by the county for purchase. Typically you buy something then notify the county you bought it so they can record it.

I see on the county website where we can combine the 2 parcels into 1.

If the county says that the parcels will become part of my Planned Development, MUST the HOA cover it or is it their choice?

HOA would have to vote on it.

Will the HOA automatically include the additional piece of land, or what is the procedure for their approval?

No.

I have 9 neighbors who also have the opportunity to purchase their lake access strips, and I think the HOA will be useful, especially to help with rules and regulations should there be a conflict with a neighbor. Some of my neighbors, however, do not want HOA involvement.

What if all nine neighbors dont want it to become part of the planned development. What if only 3 do?
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/25/2019 7:29 PM  
Do the additional strips have separate road access?

If yes, who owns the road?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/25/2019 7:33 PM  
Here is the question I have... Is this the HOA purchasing the land or you as an individual?

Our documents (CC&R's) does allow the HOA to purchase additional land. Must understand that means EVERY owner is purchasing the land. This makes it additional "common area". Which we could decide to develop more homes on for additional dues collection or enjoyment.

That being said, you purchasing the land on your own does NOT make it part of the HOA. It would have to have the same CC&R's attached to it. Otherwise, it's just a piece of land that adjoins the HOA.

Normally I never recommend a Real Estate attorney for HOA issues. However, in this case you are dealing with a real estate transaction. Which discussing with a Real Estate attorney may be best legal option.

Former HOA President
ValerieH2
(Florida)

10/26/2019 9:37 AM  
Thank you for your feedback!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Can you ADD Property to an existing HOA?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement