Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How do you find New Property Management in your area?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/25/2019 7:21 AM  
We are in search of a new Management Company for our Large HOA 1400+ SFHs. We have had the same PMC since the community was developed. We have had some major issues in the last few years and had a record 5 different Managers in the last 11 months. Two left the company and 1 was fired. Crazy turnover and poor management at the top.

We have interviewed 2 companies and have different reasons for concern about both. We have been advised that the third company we were looking into was also not going to be a good fit for us and are having trouble finding other options. We need onsite management between 20 to 40 hours a week.
KerryL1
(California)

10/25/2019 9:09 AM  
Maybe check with boards at HOAs that are similar in size to yours?

I would think you' ned an onsite mgr 40 hours a weeks probably plus an asst. mgr.
MarkW18
(Florida)

10/25/2019 9:52 AM  
You need to find a consultant that can properly access your needs. Hiring a management company isn't always the best route. It may be the easy route, but not necessarily the smart route.
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/25/2019 10:20 AM  
MarkW18,
I am a little confused by your post. Hiring a Consultant to assess needs seems like just an added step that adds cost. We have been a Community for 10 years and so we know our current needs and although we need to tweak a few things we run just like most HOAs. We only have 1 pool and 1 Amenity Center with just a few vendors. I have been on boards for 9 years and have a pretty good idea what it takes from a Board perspective. My problem is I have only been in Central Texas for 2+ years and can't seem to find many options in the Austin area.

MarkW18
(Florida)

10/25/2019 10:35 AM  
You mentioned you had 5 managers in 11 months and are using a management company that probably employs portfolio managers and maybe onsite managers. Apparently that's not working.

Here is a link to management companies in the Austin area as provided by CAI. https://caiaustin.org/management_companies.php

I know a few of these companies and wouldn't even consider them, but that's my opinion.
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/25/2019 11:54 AM  
MarkW18,
Thanks for this link. Yes one of the companies on that is the one we currently have and has been a nightmare. I have told people for years that once boards become Homeowner run you should always change from the Developer PMC. This is what we are trying to do now.
MarkW18
(Florida)

10/25/2019 12:27 PM  
If it were me trying to make the decision, I would go self-manage and hire a full time manager and maybe an assistant.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/25/2019 1:02 PM  
In addition to checking with boards in similar communities, I'd also suggest talking to people who live there and see what they think. We found our current PM by hearing rave reviews from other homeowners who thought their manager was doing a great job. You''ll also find out if a particular company has some issues that you'd want to avoid.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/25/2019 3:55 PM  
Mark

Suggestions:

1. Build a list of things you expect from a PM company and be sure they are in any contract you sign.

2. Contact some local HOA's of your size/location and find out who they use.

3. Request letters of references from associations the PM company manages.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/25/2019 3:57 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/25/2019 3:55 PM
Mark

Suggestions:

1. Build a list of things you expect from a PM company and be sure they are in any contract you sign.

2. Contact some local HOA's of your size/location and find out who they use.

3. Request letters of references from associations the PM company manages.

ADDITION

Sit down with your present PM and discuss your displeasure with them. Allow them a chance to correct. A lot easier than changing companies.
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/25/2019 5:37 PM  
JohnC,
Trust me when I say we have given them ample time to resolve the issues. Have you ever heard of 5 different PMs in 10 months? Constant changes and constant need for them to get adjusted to our HOA. All if our projects were ignored or delayed. They also implemented a new website and payment process at the start of the year that completely bombed. The comparison I can think if would be the Spicy Chicken Sandwich fiasco at Popeyes Fried Chicken. They have been committing suicide since the start of the year. As I said I have been around the block a few times and this is the worst by far.

We did do a good job interviewing the candidates. We found 1 that was good but not built as a Onsite type company and family run with brings some concerns. The second one seemed to have great references but the person responsible for selling to potential new customers really missed the mark with me and refused to make any modifications to the contract she presented. It was written for them and not us.

We need more options and we are running into a time crunch. We need to give 60 days notice to both Old and New PMCs and we wanted the change to be the start of 2020.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/26/2019 9:16 AM  
Mark

You said selling to potential new customers. What does this mean? In SC if selling property/units they would have to have a real estate license.
BillH10
(Texas)

10/26/2019 9:22 AM  
John, he means the employee of the prospective management company did a poor job of "selling" him/herself and the company to Mark--he cited as an example she would not discuss modifications to their boilerplate contract.
BillH10
(Texas)

10/26/2019 9:30 AM  
Mark19

We recently transitioned a client to our company from one of those on the list. Based on our interaction with them and deficiencies in the information they maintained, I would strongly urge you to not consider that company. I'm not certain how to communicate to you which company that is without opening a can of worms for us both.

We have no plans to be in Austin soon, if you will be in the DFW Metroplex, or even as far north as Corsicana, we will be happy to meet with you.
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/26/2019 12:16 PM  
Bill,
You are correct with your comments. I have been reading your posts and replies since I moved to Texas a few years ago. I would love to have a conversation with you or Barbara from Texas. I have an email account that can be used if you ever want to communicate it is mark.mcdonald3713 @ outlook.com I try and check this a few times a day but it is not connected to any of my regular devices in case of spam.
MarkW18
(Florida)

10/26/2019 2:38 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 10/25/2019 5:37 PM
JohnC,
Trust me when I say we have given them ample time to resolve the issues. Have you ever heard of 5 different PMs in 10 months? Constant changes and constant need for them to get adjusted to our HOA. All if our projects were ignored or delayed. They also implemented a new website and payment process at the start of the year that completely bombed. The comparison I can think if would be the Spicy Chicken Sandwich fiasco at Popeyes Fried Chicken. They have been committing suicide since the start of the year. As I said I have been around the block a few times and this is the worst by far.

We did do a good job interviewing the candidates. We found 1 that was good but not built as a Onsite type company and family run with brings some concerns. The second one seemed to have great references but the person responsible for selling to potential new customers really missed the mark with me and refused to make any modifications to the contract she presented. It was written for them and not us.

We need more options and we are running into a time crunch. We need to give 60 days notice to both Old and New PMCs and we wanted the change to be the start of 2020.

Any chance you HOA's initials are T C?
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/26/2019 3:01 PM  
MarkW,
No ours starts with an A and has 6 letters total. We are North of Austin in Pflugerville.
TamaraG6
(Florida)

10/27/2019 1:56 PM  
Looking at this post as a LCAM, I would have to ask why the Association would eat five managers in 11 months. Something is missing from this story. Either the management company is not providing experienced CAMS or there's a possible issue with the Board. 1,400 SFH would require some heavy compliance drive throughs. I had a 944 HOA in the past which the seven BOD members broke up the drive through into two days to complete the drive. The average life of a CAM is 18 months due to stress from BOD and owner issues which never end. Please do explain what current projects are going on that might have something to do with the turnover...
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/27/2019 2:58 PM  
TamaraG,
First Manager decided she was tired of the PMC and went back into banking. Her Manager filled in for 2 months before she decided to go to work as a Flight attendant. She was hardly ever on our property anyway. Before she left she hired a inexperienced manager who was fired by the PMC not the Board after 6 weeks. We then got another Supervisor who actually was getting things done. She had hand picked a male PM who is young but seems to be capable. His wife just delivered their first kids so he missed a few weeks on Paternity leave and is now back at work. Our board does not have any desire to police the HOA and the PMC has not done their job this year and violations are few and far between. Because I have been on boards for 9 years and have retired I have tried to assist them with vendor meets and bids.

Our Property is about 9 years old and as with any we are moving into the maintenance face when things need to be repainted and Pool needs repairs. We also have additions that we have been requesting quotes for many months. Our board has been as patient as we can possibly be through all of this transition but enough is enough.
TimM11

10/28/2019 6:29 AM  
The best way to find out about local PM companies is to ask around in other local HOAs. If you don't know anyone in them directly, sometimes you can make contacts through Nextdoor, a local Facebook group, or even something like a city/metro Reddit forum. Additionally, some real estate websites will list the name of the PM company and their phone number for property listings (I think Redfin does this), which can be a good way to find out who manages a certain community.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How do you find New Property Management in your area?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement