Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Gated Community--Codes vs Cards
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NpB
(Arizona)

10/19/2019 11:10 PM  
For those of you who live in a gated HOA community with an antiquated call box that guests rarely use (since most homeowners cavalierly give out the gate code, jeopardizing everyone's security), how practical is a system with no codes, where everyone either has a card or uses a gate remote control to enter? All guests would have to use the call box to call someone to enter. What type of entry system provides the best security without being too costly or frustrating for homeowners?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/20/2019 5:51 AM  
Your going to have issues no matter what you choose. Just going to have to choose between the less evils. Remember people are going to forget codes or hand them out. Key Cards get lost or exchanged. Remote controls break and need batteries. The HOA would need to factor in replacement costs of these items.

Former HOA President
LetA
(Nevada)

10/20/2019 6:10 AM  
Posted By NpB on 10/19/2019 11:10 PM
For those of you who live in a gated HOA community with an antiquated call box that guests rarely use (since most homeowners cavalierly give out the gate code, jeopardizing everyone's security), how practical is a system with no codes, where everyone either has a card or uses a gate remote control to enter? All guests would have to use the call box to call someone to enter. What type of entry system provides the best security without being too costly or frustrating for homeowners?

I share your same frustrations, My HOA has been doing this same practice since it's inception 8 years ago. I have been one of the biggest drum banger for those 8 years. Now that I am a board member and very soon, a new board member will be elected, the status quo will change.

There is a sane approach.

Have the call box used as intended PERIOD to help with entry for school busses, trash company, I would program their respective dispatch phone numbers so their dispatcher can let them in by pressing 6.

I saw an interesting set up at the back nine of a gated golf community. They have a one at a time entry for visitors and residents. A drop down arm raises and lowers as the gate opens and one car passes. the drop down arm lowers after the car passes. This stops all the piggy backers and they have the area well covered with cameras to catch gate crashers.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/20/2019 1:33 PM  
Posted By NpB on 10/19/2019 11:10 PM

That's a very good question. My HOA is having the same discussion now. Our call box entry system works the same way, but is almost 20 years old. A visitor enters a code to call a homeowner who then can press 6 on their phone to open the gate. Unfortunately, this doesn't work if a homeowner has only a cell phone with a non-local area code. So everyone and their pizza delivery guy knows the generic entry code.

We're looking to update it. We want something that will work with everyone's cell phone as well as their land line phones. We want something that will log every gate opening with a timestamp. We want something that can be accessed over the internet for uploading updates to the owner directory and downloading the logs.

The numbers I've seen are in the $15,000 range. One board member claims it should be much less than that, but their estimate is questionable. So we're still searching. Our entry and exit gate arms are at our guardhouse which is capable of being manned but has been unmanned for all of its 30 year existence. We're also considering some kind of camera surveillance but the cost estimates of that are all over the place. The amount of research and digging into the options available to us is probably more than anyone here is willing to do, so I suspect we won't do anything until the system completely stops working and we're forced to take action.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/20/2019 5:05 PM  
Geno, I don't know what phone service you have, but ours uses the local landline provider and we don't pay a long distance charge. it can dial any US based phone number and no LD charges.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/20/2019 8:30 PM  
LetA, I think that's how ours is. The problem is that the calls do go through but when the homeowner presses 6 it's that tone that's not routed back through the cellular network properly, at least not for all carriers. Or maybe its the telephone part of the gate opening system that doesn't recognize it. If there's a problem getting touch tones routed back to the gate opener when entered on a cell phone then it seems unlikely anything is going to work. However, for cellphone users in the local area code there doesn't seem to be a problem. Not sure. It sounds simple in theory but somnething is wrong and no one has been able to find an adequate explanation. We'll have to talk to vendors when the time comes.
NpB
(Arizona)

10/28/2019 11:39 AM  
One time I was talking to a new one-time contractor who was doing work for a neighbor, and when I asked him for his business card, it had the name of our community and the code written on the back. I'm sure most homeowners are lazy and also provide the pizza delivery person with the code, instead of asking him/her to call at the gate. People pay for a gate and the monthly charges to the phone company for the entry system, yet they cavalierly give out the gate codes. Makes no sense. There is a real estate agent who cruises our gates community periodically, knowing full well there are no homes for sale (99.9% chance he has an MLS phone app that shows active listings in a neighborhood) because he knows the code.

I'm sure there is a system out there with no codes, but to where people's relative's can enter the community to check on their house when they are on vacation for example.

LetA
(Nevada)

10/28/2019 9:15 PM  
Posted By NpB on 10/28/2019 11:39 AM
One time I was talking to a new one-time contractor who was doing work for a neighbor, and when I asked him for his business card, it had the name of our community and the code written on the back. I'm sure most homeowners are lazy and also provide the pizza delivery person with the code, instead of asking him/her to call at the gate. People pay for a gate and the monthly charges to the phone company for the entry system, yet they cavalierly give out the gate codes. Makes no sense. There is a real estate agent who cruises our gates community periodically, knowing full well there are no homes for sale (99.9% chance he has an MLS phone app that shows active listings in a neighborhood) because he knows the code.

I'm sure there is a system out there with no codes, but to where people's relative's can enter the community to check on their house when they are on vacation for example.

Our property manager updates the call box and changes the code, To me it is unethical for the gate repairman to install a backdoor code. Perhaps you should invest in purchasing the the program software for the gate and a laptop so YOU as a BOD can control access to the community.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/28/2019 9:47 PM  
Posted By LetA on 10/28/2019 9:15 PM
Our property manager updates the call box and changes the code, To me it is unethical for the gate repairman to install a backdoor code. Perhaps you should invest in purchasing the the program software for the gate and a laptop so YOU as a BOD can control access to the community.

I sort of agree. What I found here, though, is there is a default installer code that's set at the factory. This code can be changed but I laughed when I tested it and the default installer code still works 20 years later. The boards here since way back have not been very thorough or vigilant.

We also have remote clickers that most people keep in their cars so there's no need for residents to enter any code at all. They still make the model we use 20 years later. For $10 anyone with access to a working clicker can open the back and flip the little switches inside the new one to match and, voila! No other code necessary. There are also systems that read bar code decals on a vehicle's windshield, RF systems like EZ-Pass, cards with chips that only have to be waved in front of the box, etc.
SuzannC
(Florida)

10/30/2019 1:47 PM  
Hi we switched from an antiquated landline based call box about 6 months ago. We found that everyone in our city knew the 4 digit code, so in fact weren't secure at all. Plus we were paying for expensive copper phone line at the gate. We installed an Elika 460 that runs on cellular, is all administered via the web- has logs of all entries and even captures a pic of anyone that enters the 4 digit code.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Gated Community--Codes vs Cards

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement