Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Right of First Refusal
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DanielleL2
(Colorado)

10/04/2019 11:09 AM  
Our building of 15 units has a Right of First Refusal for 20 days to current owners. Here is my question. I own in the building and I have a contract to buy a bigger unit. Because I am already an owner does the ROFR still stand? How can another owner come in with more rights than me?

I have recently been elected to the board of directors and I want to get this right.. We have a very difficult management company. Great people in our building and the management company is not very hands on and does not get stuff done.. Nobody has ever questioned him or but now we have an active community that wants our building taken care of. I don't even know where to start.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/04/2019 11:30 AM  
Where is the ROFR documented? The details should be there. Who has the ROFR, is it the association or some other entity? Assuming there is no exclusion for existing owners, the ROFR should still be in effect.

The MC works for the association at the direction of the board. If the MC is not doing a good job, then replace them. Make sure to read your contract regarding cancellation notices.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/04/2019 11:37 AM  
Dan

ROFR was a way to keep undesirables out. It basically said the BOD could buy the home at the same price the seller was selling it for. I doubt your BOD would do this so it should not be an issue.

I also question if such would hold up in court in this day and age.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/04/2019 12:22 PM  
ROFR is legal in Florida if it's in the CC&Rs. Having it is a prerequisite for an association to wield the power of denying a sale or rejecting a buyer. Without strong justification from a background check, that's the only way to prevent a sale. Otherwise an association is exposing itself to a claim of unreasonable restraint on alienation.

In such cases the association holds the ROFR and must either buy the unit/home itself or be able to provide a different substitute buyer willing to accept the terms of the original sale.
PaulJ6
(New York)

10/05/2019 6:25 AM  
Posted By DanielleL2 on 10/04/2019 11:09 AM
Our building of 15 units has a Right of First Refusal for 20 days to current owners. Here is my question. I own in the building and I have a contract to buy a bigger unit. Because I am already an owner does the ROFR still stand? How can another owner come in with more rights than me?

I have recently been elected to the board of directors and I want to get this right.. We have a very difficult management company. Great people in our building and the management company is not very hands on and does not get stuff done.. Nobody has ever questioned him or but now we have an active community that wants our building taken care of. I don't even know where to start.

I'd start by including (in the sale contract) a representation by the seller that he has satisfied all rights of first refusal and that consummation of the sale to you does not violate the rights of a third party. That way, if the seller didn't satisfy the ROFR and another buyer then appears, you would have a breach of contract claim and could potentially unwind the deal rather than having to deal with the headache.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/05/2019 9:41 AM  
Apparently in CO, it's common for the right of first refusal to extend, not only to the Association, but also to any existing owner. 20 days is a common ROFR period.

Although that's common, you should read the exact language of your Declaration - which I assume creates the ROFR.

See link below for a Condo that got rid of their ROFR.

https://www.antlersvail.com/pdf_files/Vail%20condo%20owners%20set%20Vail%20real%20estate%20trend.pdf

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Right of First Refusal

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement