Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Security Cameras
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SylviaS5
(Illinois)

10/02/2019 10:47 AM  
Are there any rules, regulations, or laws pertaining to security camera footage? A previous Board Member that was not currently running sent out a mass email to everyone in the building speaking lies and slandering a person that was running to be on the Board. She said she had a video to prove one of her statements and anyone that wanted to see it she would send it to them. She sent the video to about 5 people. It is my understanding the video was only given to one person that was involved in an altercation at the time. Where would we start looking to find out about laws. There is nothing stated in the Declarations regarding videos from the security cameras.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/02/2019 3:24 PM  
Well I would say this isn't a HOA issue entirely. It's involved no doubt but not necessarily it's responsibility. I would have the "victim" discuss the matter with the police or a lawyer. They may have a case of harassment in regards to criminal charges. It could be liable in civil court. Especially if it caused any kind of damages.

So HOA should stay out and discourage this type of behavior. As far as a friend/neighbor I would encourage the person to bring charges or atleast talk to the police to make this person aware of the criminal actions they are guilty of. The police can't drop charges so just a warning may do. They can also consult an attorney for a letter of intent to sue if they don't cease and desist.

Former HOA President
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/02/2019 6:41 PM  
The HOA could have 3rd party liability under recent amendments to the Fair Housing Act.

See article:

https://www.hoalawblog.com/hoa-liability-discriminatory-harassment-primer/

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/02/2019 7:53 PM  
Why drag the entire HOA (I.e neighbors) into this mess? It's the "victims" issue to deal with. The HOA can be witness or support them. Not wanting the HOA to spend a dime on this matter for someone's stupid behavior.

Former HOA President
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/03/2019 9:13 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 10/02/2019 7:53 PM
Why drag the entire HOA (I.e neighbors) into this mess? It's the "victims" issue to deal with. The HOA can be witness or support them. Not wanting the HOA to spend a dime on this matter for someone's stupid behavior.

There is a lot of chatter about the unfairness of making the HOA liable as a 3rd party for an FHA violation. Yet, that's the new law, and unless it gets changed, someone is bound to test it in court. Those with the deeper pockets are easily added to a lawsuit.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/04/2019 7:44 AM  
Posted By NpS on 10/03/2019 9:13 AM
Posted By MelissaP1 on 10/02/2019 7:53 PM

There is a lot of chatter about the unfairness of making the HOA liable as a 3rd party for an FHA violation. Yet, that's the new law, and unless it gets changed, someone is bound to test it in court. Those with the deeper pockets are easily added to a lawsuit.

Count me as one of those who believes that new law needs to be challenged. In my opinion it's nothing more than a cynical ploy to tap into the deeper pockets of an HOA when the defendant in the complaint may have few assets. What will happen is that HOAs will run up their spending on legal assistance in order to "show willing" whenever there is a chance that Fair Housing laws may come into play. (In face we do that already in my community.)

There are real limitations to what an HOA can legally do to correct bad behavior by a homeowner who refuses to comply. In Ohio we can fine and then foreclose if they don't pay, but many states have laws forbidding such actions. And even vile homeowners have rights. The HOA could well end up being sued by that person as well, leading to even more legal expenses.

The list of reasons not to buy into an HOA or COA just keeps getting longer and longer...
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/04/2019 8:24 AM  
What exact "Deep pockets" does a HOA really have? Explain this to me? I could not raise our dues $5 to get the money we needed to run the place. So where is this money going to come from in a lawsuit? Insurance? Our insurance deductible was 20K!!! Are you and your neighbors going to need to raise money to pay the deductible alone?

No a HOA does NOT have "deep pockets". It you and your neighbor's pockets. How much you want out of yours to handle this mess?

Former HOA President
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

10/04/2019 8:56 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 10/04/2019 7:44 AM
There are real limitations to what an HOA can legally do to correct bad behavior by a homeowner who refuses to comply. In Ohio we can fine and then foreclose if they don't pay, but many states have laws forbidding such actions. And even vile homeowners have rights. The HOA could well end up being sued by that person as well, leading to even more legal expenses.

Cathy -

Please note that this new revision to Federal housing law is not exclusively about HOAs. It's about any 3rd party. HOAs are only one type of 3rd party. Landlords can get snagged. Management companies can get snagged. There's a long list of other 3rd parties that can get snagged.

The statute puts all kinds of entities between a rock and a hard place. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but as I said, the law is the law until it gets changed.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/04/2019 9:43 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 10/04/2019 8:24 AM
What exact "Deep pockets" does a HOA really have? Explain this to me? I could not raise our dues $5 to get the money we needed to run the place. So where is this money going to come from in a lawsuit? Insurance? Our insurance deductible was 20K!!! Are you and your neighbors going to need to raise money to pay the deductible alone?

No a HOA does NOT have "deep pockets". It you and your neighbor's pockets. How much you want out of yours to handle this mess?

Larger communities in cities can have budgets over a million dollars and multi-million dollar reserves. Someone here commented recently that his annual budget was in that range. It may not be the norm, but that doesn't mean your association is the norm either - although I think the average is closer to your end of the scale.

And yeah, that money is going to come out of the pockets of homeowners whose only crime was not choosing their neighbors wisely. That's why I and others are so annoyed by this law. It supports my belief that community associations are cash cows that benefit almost everyone except the people who own homes in them.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/04/2019 9:53 AM  
Posted By NpS on 10/04/2019 8:56 AM
Posted By CathyA3 on 10/04/2019 7:44 AM

Cathy -

Please note that this new revision to Federal housing law is not exclusively about HOAs. It's about any 3rd party. HOAs are only one type of 3rd party. Landlords can get snagged. Management companies can get snagged. There's a long list of other 3rd parties that can get snagged.

The statute puts all kinds of entities between a rock and a hard place. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but as I said, the law is the law until it gets changed.

But but but... Landlords can evict trouble makers. Management companies can fire employees. Most community associations can't do much of anything with an owner who just won't comply with the rules.

I'm going to share the link you posted with our board and PM.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/04/2019 10:21 AM  
Wow.. Where to start. No you can't "Choose" your neighbors/members in a HOA. If you can buy a house, you become a member whether or not you or your neighbors like it. No landlords can NOT just "evict troublemakers". There are laws that protect the tenants. If you don't have it in your lease agreement that a violation of a HOA is grounds for eviction, then you can't evict. MC's can fire their OWN employees not any of the HOA's. Considering HOA's are run by VOLUNTEERS.

If someone has millions of dollars in their RESERVES it can't be touched for other purposes than for replacement of capital expenses. It doesn't work like a savings account. the money is there for roof replacement, street maintenance, or other capital expense of the large variety. The money for lawsuits and such would come out of the regular budget.

So this board member potential person should NOT be protected by any HOA rules. They are violating real laws. This is harassment directed toward another person. I say have the victim call the police or a lawyer. Take the fight to the members doors not the HOA's streets.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement