Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Fairfax VA Property Management Company Recommendations?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MatthewM8
(Virginia)

10/01/2019 9:44 AM  
Hi, I'm on the board of an HOA in Fairfax County, VA. We are a fairly small development of 65 units. We've never hired a property management company before, but everyone is so busy now, we sort of have to.

Can anyone recommend a good property management company in Fairfax, VA?

Thanks!!!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/01/2019 12:31 PM  
We don't use specific names of communities or property managers on this website, but there are people from Virginia (TimB4, where are you???) who could send you a private message with some suggestions.

But first, you and the board need to think about what you want the property manager to do and what your budget can afford. There are assorted property managers on this board who can give you some general tips on what to look for, and you can also read older conversations on the subject and take some notes.

As for my tips, I say do your due diligence - get at least three bids and ask for references and check them! You might have the finalists attend a special meeting where the homeowners could ask questions or get some general information on how the property manager operates. From there, you can make a final selection and come up with a transition plan to get older association documents to the manager so they'll be able to store them and refer to them if needed.
MatthewM8
(Virginia)

10/02/2019 7:44 AM  
Thank you!
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/08/2019 8:08 PM  
Matthew,

I also reside in Fairfax County.
However, we are self managed.
Therefore, I can not offer assistance on a recommendation for a MC.

Tim
GenoS
(Florida)

10/08/2019 9:41 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 10/01/2019 12:31 PM
...you and the board need to think about what you want the property manager to do...

I think this is the most common sense advice and also the most commonly-ignored advice.

We hired a PM at the start of the year based on a couple of interviews last November where no one bothered to ask any real questions. We ended up with a PM that was a poor fit mainly because everyone had differing expectations of how the relationship was supposed to work. We fired them after 6 months. The PM was bad, no doubt, but I strongly feel the HOA was guilty of not doing its due diligence before hiring them. Not too many people around here agree with me on the last point, but I'm pretty sure we bear a large part of the blame for the relationship not working out.

If I had to pick one thing to do, one question to ask, I'd say it's this: Can you provide us with a list of every additional expense above and beyond the contract numbers that you might conceivably charge us for?

And get an answer even if it's a document that's 10 or 20 pages long. If they won't provide you with such a list, move on.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/09/2019 12:31 PM  
Matt

one of the main thing to look for in am MC is are they presently handling HOA's like your own? Also a clear/concise understanding of what services are they offering and if additional services are required, how much will they cost?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Fairfax VA Property Management Company Recommendations?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement