Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, December 15, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Sale of Food at Bingo
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
WillL1
(Florida)

09/08/2019 8:38 AM  
Hello, New to site. Florida HOA. I have a Q on the subject of selling food and drink at a Bingo game held in our community. The HOA President & Treasurer wants to join the 2 functions under one banner to avoid taxation. Is this legal? Welcome your input.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/08/2019 9:45 AM  
I would HIGHLY recommend NOT combining the HOA funds with the Bingo funds. The HOA funds are for the OPERATION and MAINTENANCE of the HOA. It is to be funded by DUES. NOT every member wants their Dues funds to be used to buy food for Bingo players.

What could be taxable is IF the bingo money is going to the HOA's funds. The Bingo funds or other sales are subjected to taxation as they are not Dues. Bingo can be a "club" but separate from the HOA. It should fund it's own food and expenses. It just so happens to be HOA members or on the property.

Former HOA President
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

09/08/2019 9:59 AM  
Melissa, I think you misunderstand the OP.

He is not suggesting using HOA funds to buy food to give to bingo players. They want to sell food at the bingo game. Presumably they would buy the food to sell, but also presumably they intend to make a profit.

OP, I admit I’m still not entirely clear as to what is happening. Can you give us more details about the event?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/08/2019 10:06 AM  
He was saying the HOA wanted to combine BOTH the HOA and the Bingo together. It's okay for the Bingo to sell food and make a profit. It is NOT okay for the HOA to give the Bingo any money or to keep any of the profits. Bingo should be funded just for those who join the Bingo. A HOA is to be funded by Dues only no profiting.

Former HOA President
WillL1
(Florida)

09/08/2019 10:12 AM  
Thanks for the responses! Bingo is stated to separate from the HOA (Not For Profit) but has a appointed Chairperson running it and Bingo supposedly funds itself except that a weekly payment is made to the HOA to purchase Bingo supplies. They now want to combine food sales into it and have the HOA fund it also. My contention to them is that they are actually running the game and now selling food for profit and if the combine the two they are looking at trouble with taxes that as a 501(C) say they don't have to pay. Never mind the last Chair was skimming (whole other story)
WillL1
(Florida)

09/08/2019 10:18 AM  
Melissa, you are correct in the statement except for our prospectus states you can not run a business within our community utilizing our common facilities nor your home. I am not against having Bingo and Food except the Chair wants to run it as a business without oversite of the HOA. She has convinced the Pres & Trea that it is OK to do so.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/08/2019 10:23 AM  
Tax avoidance is legal. Tax evasion is illegal.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/08/2019 1:33 PM  
When they mean not to run a business out of your home it's more in regards of "Not putting a shingle up". That means you can't run a place like a Dental office that attracts traffic. It's okay to have like a Tupperware party. We sometimes rent out to those with such businesses for their "shows".

I don't really see an issue if the person is renting the clubhouse for a Bingo gathering. It just can't be the HOA's Bingo hall or connected to the HOA money wise. Renting the clubhouse to someone in good standing in your HOA is okay as long as they are paying the rent and any damages to the HOA.

Again the person should NOT be involving HOA funds. It is their entire responsibility to fund it, pay the rent, and pay for the food within the Bingo Budget.

The HOA is a non-profit but NOT a charitable one. Those funds are not income making for the HOA. The Tax man could come a looking...

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/08/2019 2:36 PM  
Will

I am still confused. A few questions:

1. Is the HOA (via committee or not) running the Bingo games?

2. Is the HOA receiving a profit from the Bingo games?

3. Is there presently food and beverage being served during Bingo?

4. Who is running the food and beverage service?

5. Is the HOA receiving a profit from the food and beverage operation?

Thanks

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

09/09/2019 9:14 AM  
Posted By WillL1 on 09/08/2019 10:12 AM
Thanks for the responses! Bingo is stated to separate from the HOA (Not For Profit) but has a appointed Chairperson running it and Bingo supposedly funds itself except that a weekly payment is made to the HOA to purchase Bingo supplies. They now want to combine food sales into it and have the HOA fund it also. My contention to them is that they are actually running the game and now selling food for profit and if the combine the two they are looking at trouble with taxes that as a 501(C) say they don't have to pay. Never mind the last Chair was skimming (whole other story)

if the bingo people are just using your space and are not at all affiliated with the HOA, their tax issues are not your problem. Charge them rent for the facility and tell them to buy their own supplies and food to sell.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/10/2019 9:39 AM  
I don't know how combining Bingo with any other activity will affect your tax status. I think your association should run the Bingo games so that you will be under the auspices of Chapter 849.0931 which makes Bingo legal in HOAs, condos, co-ops, mobile home communities, etc. Under FS 849 you have to pay out all of the money that people pay to play AFTER deducting expenses to run the game (cards, markers, etc.). Any money leftover should then be donated BY THE ASSOCIATION to a charitable, nonprofit, or veterans’ organization which is exempt from federal income tax.

Note that for the association to donate the leftover money (ideally there shouldn't be any) the money would have to belong to the association in the first place. Ergo, the association should run the bingo games.

If you're NOT operating under FS 849 then you're probably in violation of the state's gambling statute.

FS 849 requirements contains language regarding net proceeds, prizes, and business expenses for running the games. Non-bingo related items are not deductible and while you'd need to ask a lawyer to be sure, I don't think food and drink qualifies as a "bingo business expense". The statute seems pretty clear on that.

I'd not have any vending of food and drink anywhere near my FS 849 bingo games, at least not to the point where the comingling of funds might take place. If you choose to do so then that activity would probably subject you to some form of tax liability. Trying to evade that liability by hiding it under your bingo operation is probably a very bad idea.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Sale of Food at Bingo

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement