Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Why do HOAs bully owners and expect to win?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/15/2019 3:13 PM  
Posted By PestY on 09/15/2019 8:29 AM
@ PaulJ6

... short answer: because they can ...

Thanks. Makes sense. Fortunately the HOA in my case got its head handed to it in response.
AugustinD

09/15/2019 5:35 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/15/2019 3:13 PM
@ PaulJ6

Thanks. Makes sense. Fortunately the HOA in my case got its head handed to it in response.
I think I get that your HOA Board getting its comeuppance in one lawsuit/legal dispute pleases you. Yet you initiated this thread because your Board continues to perpetrate poor and maybe unlawful conduct. Whoever brought the lawsuit won a battle (that probably cost him or her great labor and emotional strife) but not the war. Was it worth it? If the person is still losing the war, wouldn't it have been easier to move?

I recently joined the ranks of those who have left their condos/HOAs on account of not wanting such incompetent people (put their due to absentee landlords and apathy) managing the value of some 20% of my net worth. That's not bluster. I saw the Reserve Fund at funded at a minuscule 25%. I know the infrastructure is ailing. Major repairs were increasing in frequency. More.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/16/2019 5:50 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/15/2019 5:35 PM
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/15/2019 3:13 PM
@ PaulJ6

I think I get that your HOA Board getting its comeuppance in one lawsuit/legal dispute pleases you. Yet you initiated this thread because your Board continues to perpetrate poor and maybe unlawful conduct. Whoever brought the lawsuit won a battle (that probably cost him or her great labor and emotional strife) but not the war. Was it worth it? If the person is still losing the war, wouldn't it have been easier to move?

I recently joined the ranks of those who have left their condos/HOAs on account of not wanting such incompetent people (put their due to absentee landlords and apathy) managing the value of some 20% of my net worth. That's not bluster. I saw the Reserve Fund at funded at a minuscule 25%. I know the infrastructure is ailing. Major repairs were increasing in frequency. More.

Totally agree with Augustin. One of my major issues with COAs/HOAs is that I'm forced into a financial relationship with strangers, many of whom I would not choose to be my business partners if I had any say in the matter. It isn't just incompetent boards that affect this. You also are at the mercy of others who decide there is no need to pay their assessments because the water stays on and the trash gets picked up regardless.

Given that you usually have a corporation that is being run by volunteers who often lack the necessary knowledge and skills and temperament, and you usually have a large pool of members who benefit equally from the COA/HOA structure but who basically freeload on the work of a small minority -- the only surprising thing is that there aren't more problems than we currently have.

I think the real beneficiaries of community associations are:

1) the businesses who cater to development and support of said communities;

2) the tax payers who don't live in such communities since municipalities have been able to offload their responsibility to maintain infrastructure without adjusting taxes; and

3) elected officials who get to look like heroes because it appears that they're holding the line on spending.

It all boils down to money. Too many benefit to allow things to change.

In my area it's hard to find a decent place to live that isn't in an association unless you look at the higher end rental communities. A former board president and his wife sold everything and moved into an RV, and are spending their days volunteering in our national parks. It's looking more and more like a reasonable option...
PestY

09/16/2019 7:40 AM  
ergo my 'stock' advice:

live with it OR move

CassieC
(California)

09/29/2019 10:32 PM  
Well said!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Why do HOAs bully owners and expect to win?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement