Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Applicability of State and Federal Law
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AlbertV1
(Pennsylvania)

09/01/2019 8:44 PM  
I am hearing feedback as a result of our HOA board's search for an attorney to work with our HOA in the future. One subject that came up is the applicability of state and federal laws. The condo POS and CC&R were recorded by the Declarant at the county recorder of deeds office in the county in which the condo is located.

The state of Pennsylvania passed Act 68 regarding condominiums in this state. I am also told that laws promulgated by the FHA may have some crossover to our HOA.

Feedback from one lawyer interviewed indicated that our CC&R take precedent over the state and federal laws. The laws can be used as guidelines if we wish, but compliance is not required. One of the explanations provided for this position is that our POS and CC&R are not filed on the state level but only the county level. If we were to file them at the state level then the state and federal laws would be enforceable.

If find this explanation unacceptable, but I do not want at this time to go out and seek a legal opinion at my own expense to dispute something that appears to be so incorrect.

I would like to hear from HOA representatives in PENNSYLVANIA regarding any experience you have had with laws as guidelines depending on where our POS and CC&R are recorded. If you are aware of the state office that does assume responsibility at the state level to receive registration of our POS or CC&R I would appreciate hearing what office that would be.

Thank you.
RichardP13

09/01/2019 8:49 PM  
Not from PA, but keep looking for an attorney. Federal and State codes will always take precedent UNTIL they say otherwise.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/01/2019 9:52 PM  
What Richard said. Usually, the hierarchy goes like this:

Federal law
state law
local law (city and/or county ordinances)
your declaration
your bylaws
your CCRs

In some cases, there may not be legislation at all, but case law that a judge might use to decide an issue.

That's why I always say not everything in HOA land will be addressed because things evolve and change quickly - for example, HOA weren't really talking about making decisions via email instead of at a formal board meeting. Or electronic voting by homeowners at an annual meeting. Or AirBnB in the community.

Another example: you say your state just passed a law regarding condos, but you also need to check if it applies to ALL condos or only those established on or after a certain date. Little things like that can make a difference.

You didn't say what kind of attorney you spoke to, but you need to find one who specializes in HOA law and who has references you can check. Sometimes you won't find that in someone who says he or she specializes in real estate or corporate law. Try talking to someone in your local or state bar association and see if you can get a referral.

One more thing - most of us on this site aren't attorneys or live in your state, so for legal questions, you may have no choice but to pull out your wallet and talk to an attorney if you want to get an informed answer.
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/02/2019 3:47 AM  
Posted By AlbertV1 on 09/01/2019 8:44 PM
Feedback from one lawyer interviewed indicated that our CC&R take precedent over the state and federal laws. The laws can be used as guidelines if we wish, but compliance is not required. One of the explanations provided for this position is that our POS and CC&R are not filed on the state level but only the county level. If we were to file them at the state level then the state and federal laws would be enforceable.

I'm not a Pennsylvania HOA person but no Pennsylania-specific response is needed. The feedback that the lawyer gave is so nonsensical and moronic that I question the person's basic competence. Of course the lawyer is wrong.
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/02/2019 3:47 AM  

I'm not a Pennsylvania HOA person but no Pennsylania-specific response is needed. The feedback that the lawyer gave is so nonsensical and moronic that I question the person's basic competence. Of course the lawyer is wrong.
PaulJ6
(New York)

09/02/2019 4:25 AM  
Sorry for the duplicate post above. I agree with the posts before mine.

In addition, when you look for a lawyer, ask LAWYERS for recommendations. What they say about another lawyer should carry more weight than what a non-lawyer says. Sometimes a lawyer can come across to a nonlawyer as very polished and confident, but other lawyers can know that the person doesn't have a clue about the law. You don't want someone like that. Nor does someone who writes a lot of articles or gets a publicity make the best lawyer--that just means that the person is good at self-promotion, which doesn't mean that the person knows anything about the law. The best lawyer is the person with the most experience in a field; I'd rank that before educational background or personality, definitely. I also prefer lawyers who work in firms, since no one person knows everything and a lawyer in a firm has colleagues that s/he can check with on new areas.
PestY
(South Carolina)

09/02/2019 5:00 AM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/02/2019 3:47 AM

CORRECT

D'OH
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

09/02/2019 6:39 AM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 09/02/2019 3:47 AM

From PA. Agree with Paul.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
AugustinD

09/02/2019 10:09 PM  

I wonder whether a misunderstanding took place. Before I could comment with any intelligence, I would need examples of when this attorney thinks the CC&Rs trump state and federal law.
PestY
(South Carolina)

09/03/2019 4:37 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/02/2019 10:09 PM

I wonder whether a misunderstanding took place. Before I could comment with any intelligence, I would need examples of when this attorney thinks the CC&Rs trump state and federal law.

If, and only IF, state and federal (or other) law specifically DEFERS to the CCRs; the CCRs may be more, or less, restrictive, BUT, said CCRs may never 'trump' the law.

else

The law may be circumvented merely by contractual arrangement.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

09/03/2019 5:41 AM  
One of the explanations provided for this position is that our POS and CC&R are not filed on the state level but only the county level. If we were to file them at the state level then the state and federal laws would be enforceable.

That doesn't even make sense. You dont submit deed/hoa records to be recorded with the state, you submit them to the county.

You dont need to change or rewrite your CCR's with a lawyer and refile them every time state or federal law changes, you simply cannot enforce that thing in your CCR's that violates it.

Lets say your deed/ccr says no black people allowed from 200 years ago. And federal law says you cannot do that. You dont need to change every deed of every house and re-record it or new CCR's, you simply cannot enforce it. Basically, you simply ignore that sentence and carry on with your life.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/03/2019 9:36 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/02/2019 10:09 PM

I agree. The advice was so blatantly bad, I think there was a misunderstanding.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Applicability of State and Federal Law

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement