Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: False invoice given for old product charged to me by HOA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulJ6
(New York)

08/13/2019 2:20 PM  
I'm irked:

My HOA had the smoke detector in my condo replaced. I was billed over $1k for the work. (I posted about this before, but now I have more facts.)

When I asked for a copy of the invoice, I was given (1) one invoice for labor and (2) an email from the repair company to the property manager, stating, "We used a smoke detector that we already had, so we didn't buy a new one. The owner should be billed $X." Since the smoke detector was old, no invoice was given for it.

The property manager then, over a week later, sent another invoice to me: an invoice for a new smoke detector. The invoice listed the same price as shown on the email specifying the charge for the old smoke detector.

So:

Problem #1: I was given an old smoke detector and was charged a brand-new price.

Problem #2: I was given a fake receipt, as though the smoke detector was newly bought, which isn't the case.

How mad would you be about this?
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/13/2019 2:31 PM  
The smoke coming from my ears would set off the 'new' smoke detector!
AugustinD

08/13/2019 2:52 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 08/13/2019 2:20 PM
When I asked for a copy of the invoice, I was given (1) one invoice for labor and (2) an email from the repair company to the property manager, stating, "We used a smoke detector that we already had, so we didn't buy a new one.

I would want to know the date stamped on the smoke detector the repair company "already had." It's possible that the detector the company "already had" is a new one the company had laying around.
SueW6
(Michigan)

08/13/2019 3:12 PM  
What was itemized in the labor costs?

Was there new wiring , etc.

You still don’t say how the $1,000 figure came to be.

SueW6
(Michigan)

08/13/2019 3:21 PM  
A quick google lookup speaks about a 10 year sealed unit OR new hard wire installation is required in NY since April 2019. New CO and smoke alarms have been required for condos, too.
PaulJ6
(New York)

08/13/2019 3:47 PM  
Posted By SueW6 on 08/13/2019 3:12 PM
What was itemized in the labor costs?

Was there new wiring , etc.

You still don’t say how the $1,000 figure came to be.

Thanks. In looking at the numerous invoices, it seems like I was billed for the smoke detectors plus labor PLUS labor again.

The model number of the smoke detector that I was billed for is over 2x what it costs online, and one of the invoices lists "Installation" on it--and then I was given another invoice for labor.

Total scam and idiocy.
RichardP13
(California)

08/13/2019 6:29 PM  
I thought that was common practice in New York.

Been there, Done that
LetA
(Nevada)

08/14/2019 4:55 AM  
Who was the invoice from? The Condo management company or the alarm tech company?

First smoke alarms have an expiration date, you have a right to inspect that smoke alarm. If they used "any old thing lying around" I would drop a dime on them to the NYC fire inspectors office in a hot second.

Second, call around to other alarm companies and compare quotes. unless your building is being upgraded to modern alarm components, I still don's see why s single smoke alarm replacement with installation would cost $1000.00

Lastly you need to call the company that installed the alarm and ask for a price quote.
PaulJ6
(New York)

08/14/2019 4:01 PM  
Thanks. The invoice was forwarded by the condo management company, but it's on the repair company's letterhead.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > False invoice given for old product charged to me by HOA

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement