Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, December 08, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Contract with Management Company
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TomC14
(Colorado)

08/10/2019 2:20 PM  
We have a one-year contract with our management company.....automatically renewable each year. There is an "out clause", so it can be terminated by either party with proper notice, etc........but is an automatically renewed one-year contract "normal"? What are other approaches used out there?
BillH10
(Texas)

08/10/2019 2:29 PM  
Very normal. I have seen two year contracts to provide stability for both parties but most contracts also contain a 30 or 60 day termination clause which renders the one or two year period moot.
TomC14
(Colorado)

08/10/2019 2:35 PM  
Posted By BillH10 on 08/10/2019 2:29 PM
Very normal. I have seen two year contracts to provide stability for both parties but most contracts also contain a 30 or 60 day termination clause which renders the one or two year period moot.

Thanks...........I thought that might be the case. The "automatic renewal" concerned me, but the termination clause offsets that.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/10/2019 2:47 PM  
Our contract has automatically renewed since 2007. I don't see an issue with this unless it goes on too long. In our case, our needs have changed and the contract has never been updated. In addition, we have no way of knowing if we are paying a fair and reasonable fee since we've just let it renew for 12 years and blindly agree to any annual rate increases. We are in the process of sending out an RFP for competitive bids so that we can compare price/services of multiple vendors.
BillH10
(Texas)

08/10/2019 3:14 PM  
John makes a good point. We review the contract with the Boards annually, about the time we begin the budget planning cycle. We have a 'what's working/what's not/what might you wish to change' discussion and we share with them any changes to the base contract monthly amount and changes to the schedule which depicts other charges--office supplies, hourly rates for services not included in the contract, etc.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

08/11/2019 5:40 AM  
John and Bill have given you good advice. When I was on the board and we had a monthly newsletter, we also sent out an annual survey to our homeowners asking them to rate the property manager's performance, and if there was a low rating to explain why. Some of the answers indicated there was a misunderstanding as to what the property manager did vs. the board, so we would clarify that when the results were published.

I've noticed you've asked several questions about property managers, vendors, etc., in other posts. That's fine, but you might also want to see if there's a local chapter of the Community Association Institute in your area. This is a national organization of HOAs, property managers and other vendors who serve HOAs and they have excellent education materials (books, webinars, etc.) on a variety of HOA subjects and best practices. Go to the website and look around - you can purchase some of those materials and learn best practices. The local chapter, if you have one, may even sponsor seminars you can attend in person - a great way to meet other HOA board members and exchange information.
TomC14
(Colorado)

08/11/2019 7:53 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 08/11/2019 5:40 AM
John and Bill have given you good advice. When I was on the board and we had a monthly newsletter, we also sent out an annual survey to our homeowners asking them to rate the property manager's performance, and if there was a low rating to explain why. Some of the answers indicated there was a misunderstanding as to what the property manager did vs. the board, so we would clarify that when the results were published.

I've noticed you've asked several questions about property managers, vendors, etc., in other posts. That's fine, but you might also want to see if there's a local chapter of the Community Association Institute in your area. This is a national organization of HOAs, property managers and other vendors who serve HOAs and they have excellent education materials (books, webinars, etc.) on a variety of HOA subjects and best practices. Go to the website and look around - you can purchase some of those materials and learn best practices. The local chapter, if you have one, may even sponsor seminars you can attend in person - a great way to meet other HOA board members and exchange information.

I'm currently working through the CAI workshop and the "tool kit" that comes with it. I'm a new board member, with a long background in business management and accounting, now retired. I've read all our governing documents and reviewed our contracts with the management company and our major contractor so I'm in the "discovery mode" right now. The local chapter of CAI is 2 hours away, but I intend to get involved there after I get through the workshop material and finish my due diligence on the financials, reserves, etc. Thanks for the insights.
KerryL1
(California)

08/12/2019 7:26 AM  
Kudos to you, Tom, for actively becoming a good director. You're in a really important process and are seeing that there's a lot to learn.

The CAI Toolkit helped me a lot when I was a new director.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

08/12/2019 9:12 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 08/12/2019 7:26 AM
Kudos to you, Tom, for actively becoming a good director. You're in a really important process and are seeing that there's a lot to learn.

The CAI Toolkit helped me a lot when I was a new director.

When you're ready, you might look at applying to become a Gold Star Community. Great learning experience for me to see how independent professionals assessed our community.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Contract with Management Company

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement