Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Detached Sheds
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CharlesS9
(Delaware)

07/28/2019 4:54 AM  
We recently sent out a survey to determine if residents were in favor of seven proposals. The most divisive was detached sheds. We presently allow sheds attached to the home with HOA approval.
We are a community of 218 homes with lot siizes around a quarter acre. we established an ad hoc group to review the comments on the surveys and to contact realtors and other HOA organizations. So far comparable communities do not allow sheds, and a few realtors are against them because the will 'clutter' up our community and detract from the aesthetics and may lower property values, both of which our HOA mission is to enhance and maintain. The average cost of a home in our community is about 600k.
If your community allows detached sheds what has been your experience with maintenance and aesthetics?
If you do not allow sheds detached, why not?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/28/2019 6:42 AM  
Check with your personal insurance company for their opinion on attached or detached sheds. They play the most major part in the decision outside the HOA. Also may propose the question to the HOA's insurance for additional information.

Also ask the fire Marshall. Surprisingly they may give advice in the matter. The sheds propose a serious fire risk. People tend to store items that can catch sheds on fire and then spreading to the house. They may recommend a certain distance to keep sheds away from the house.

Had a neighbor who a very small one in their backyard. Their insurance told them could not attach it to the home. It would effect their insurance costs and risks.

Former HOA President
LetA
(Nevada)

07/28/2019 6:43 AM  
I think putting a shed against a home is a big fauxpas and tacky looking. My board approved a plastic mini shed from Suncaster. it is 8' tall by 8' wide and 4'deep. The colors matched the colors of the houses in the area, so aesthetically is was not a deal breaker. The sheds were big enough to put a lawnmower, garden tools, lawn chairs, etc. I grew up back east, and in the burbs barn looking sheds were quite the norm.

I would work with the homeowners and get some design concepts and meet with your board for Ideas. There are also some pony sheds available, those are designed to store side by side trash cans, just an idea.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/28/2019 12:21 PM  
Posted By CharlesS9 on 07/28/2019 4:54 AM
We recently sent out a survey to determine if residents were in favor of seven proposals. The most divisive was detached sheds. We presently allow sheds attached to the home with HOA approval.
We are a community of 218 homes with lot siizes around a quarter acre. we established an ad hoc group to review the comments on the surveys and to contact realtors and other HOA organizations. So far comparable communities do not allow sheds, and a few realtors are against them because the will 'clutter' up our community and detract from the aesthetics and may lower property values, both of which our HOA mission is to enhance and maintain. The average cost of a home in our community is about 600k.
If your community allows detached sheds what has been your experience with maintenance and aesthetics?
If you do not allow sheds detached, why not?

Unless they are tightly (very tightly) controlled, they can be came very tacky. I do not like the idea of attached to the house. I also would look at them not being seen from the front of the house. I would also limit where they can be placed. I would also limit size, material, and color. Especially no metal sheds allowed. Wood or plastic only.

Basically I would allow nothing larger than and it must be of this type material:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Suncast-Common-8-ft-x-10-ft-Actual-Interior-Dimensions-7-9-ft-x-9-9-ft-Tremont-Gable-Storage-Shed/50301077

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

07/30/2019 10:37 AM  
The association I manage allows detached sheds only. No metal. Rubbermaid/resin sheds are permitted if they are not visible from the street. Sheds that are visible must be shingled and painted to match the residence, have a floor, and be anchored into the ground, with minimum setbacks from the fence and the residence. Owners must maintain a city permit if applicable. There's no restriction on size, because the city already does that.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

08/05/2019 6:46 AM  
My community allowed these to pop up in places many years ago - and, now is unable to control them.

Legal counsel was clear that if not addressed in five years, anyone could use the approval process to request approval and then protest if not approved.

Any community first addressing this - my recommendation would be zero tolerance as the best policy and rule. May be hard to understand for some, but, my opinion is that sheds are a blight.

BTW - we have provisions to allow approval of additional buildings if they are constructed of the same materials and finishes as the original home.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement