Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, July 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: sidewalks
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidJ17
(Florida)

07/03/2019 8:15 PM  
I was told our sidewalks are private. How does a sidewalk become private if both ends connect to a public sidewalk? and How does a sidewalk become private if the public can walk on them?
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/04/2019 1:10 AM  
Ownership = right to make most decisions about and usually an obligation to maintain.
Easement = right to use.

If your HOA owns the streets, your HOA usually owns the sidewalks.
If the streets were dedicated to the local government, then the local government usually owns the sidewalks.
Where private streets intersect with public streets, the ownership of the sidewalks will change at the corner.

When the developer of your community got approval from your local government to build, a plat was filed and approved. That plat will identify what your HOA owns.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/04/2019 1:12 AM  
The public may have an easement from
- something recorded in the plat, or
- a history of being used as a public paty.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/04/2019 1:13 AM  
public path.

DavidJ17
(Florida)

07/04/2019 5:20 AM  
I was told we have a very unique setting here. The City likes to word things to confuse me. lol.. So I got a reply from the City Manager that says... 'I'm sure you know you live in a private community. Everything within including it's roads & sidewalks are owned by the Condo and the City has no public presence within.'
What does WITHIN mean? We have one street that is open on both ends where the public can drive thru. We also have 2 cul-de-sacs. I didn't know if he was referring to the cul-de-sacs as roads or the one street we have. I was taught in school (I think) that when you lump 2 things together (roads & sidewalks) that means they are together. Well, we don't have sidewalks in our cul-de-sacs.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/04/2019 6:15 AM  
no public presence within = no responsibility to maintain.

open on both ends or cul de sac makes no difference = your HOA's responsibility to maintain.

DavidJ17
(Florida)

07/04/2019 6:10 PM  
Understood your definition of WITHIN. But I was referring to the first WITHIN I mentioned. "Everything WITHIN, including it's roads & sidewalks are owned by the Condo." So, we have a main street that we drive on to enter & exit our Community. It is not gated, and anyone can drive on it. It also has a sidewalk. We also have 2 cul-de-sacs. They do not have sidewalks. So I wasn't sure when he said 'everything WITHIN' did he mean everything within the cul-de-sacs, or everything within the Community? Cause I believe Condo Management says something different.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/06/2019 2:26 AM  
My read would be everything including walkways, storm water systems, sewers, possibly water lines if you have wells are one meter for the entire community that your local government might otherwise be responsible for.
If a particular street was dedicated to the local government, then the government is responsible.
If not dedicated, it's private, and everything related to that particular street is on you and your HOA to maintain.
If your HOA says something different, then they should take it up with your local government.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement