Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: compensation??
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoanQ

06/27/2019 9:05 AM  
Our HOA is being forced by the local power company to replace and repair electrical breaker boxes, wiring and meters (due to the HOA's negligence thru the past years). There are 5 units in this building. The power will be off between 10 and 14 days. We have one full time resident which will need to vacate during that time and deserves Per Diem and MIE. My question, is the HOA obligated to compensate the other unit owners for loss of use even though they are not there? BTW this community is in the desert, and temperatures during the time of power being cut will be in the 100's. The HOA has offered to empty the refrigerators. so to compensate or not to compensate? Reduced HOA fees? flat fee compensation or just be happy the electrical hazard is being fixed?

NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/27/2019 9:40 AM  
Re items needing replacement, I assume that HOA is responsible to maintain, repair, replace. Might have lasted longer if maintained better, but needs to be replaced now. I'm avoiding the word negligence on purpose.

A few questions:

Is there any insurance to cover loss of use and cost to go elsewhere?

Has the HOA dealt with a similar issue before, or is this the first time it came up?

Do you have any documents that specifically state that the HOA must cover these costs?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/27/2019 9:44 AM  
You can't reduce the fees.
This would be because the covenants specify how the shared maintenance cost is to be paid.

If the Association will compensate, then they must write checks to the residents.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/27/2019 10:12 AM  
I would pay for the lone full time residents motel stay, that would be appropriate. Is there a way to rent portable generators and bypass the work that will be done so the units remain energized?
JeffT2
(Iowa)

06/27/2019 10:22 AM  
Posted By LetA on 06/27/2019 10:12 AM
I would pay for the lone full time residents motel stay, that would be appropriate. Is there a way to rent portable generators and bypass the work that will be done so the units remain energized?

You can rent generators and portable air conditioners at many HomeDepot and other rental companies. I would check the prices compared to a hotel.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/27/2019 10:26 AM  
That's a legal question, so your best bet is to consult an attorney. You can't reduce the HOA fees - in fact, you said the HOA has been negligent in caring for the breaker boxes, and I would guess that was caused in part by underfunded assessments (aka assessments are too low to pay for current expenses). If there wasn't enough money to maintain the breakers properly, why would you think there's money to compensate the homeowners? You didn't say how long the current HOA board has been running things, but if they were aware that this problem has been simmering for however long the "past years" are, it may be time to replace them with people who are more responsible. Unfortunately, that may be a problem if most of the homeowners live off-site - too much out of sight, out of mind.

The full-time homeowner should check her homeowner's insurance policy to see if there's coverage that would pay her living expenses while she's out of her home - if not, she should ask about adding that to her policy after the repairs. And take a long hard look at the HOA budget - it may be past time to increase the assessments so reserves can be funded that could cover future upgrades to the common area. If you don't have reserves, get a reserve study done and then get one established.
JoanQ

06/27/2019 12:24 PM  
very good question about insurance I can check

back in 2009 the HOA at the time was updating all the boxes and associated wiring When they got to our building it was going to be more money - apparently they asked the unit owners at that time if they would pay and they refused. So the HOA did nothing to update our building. The power line failed, so now they are forced to fix

the local power company said they would not fix the line until everything was updated

JoanQ

06/27/2019 12:24 PM  
very good question about insurance I can check

back in 2009 the HOA at the time was updating all the boxes and associated wiring When they got to our building it was going to be more money - apparently they asked the unit owners at that time if they would pay and they refused. So the HOA did nothing to update our building. The power line failed, so now they are forced to fix

the local power company said they would not fix the line until everything was updated

JoanQ

06/27/2019 12:25 PM  
good to know thank you
JoanQ

06/27/2019 12:27 PM  
at first glance generators sounded like a good alternative, but there is going to be lots of other noise, they have to break up a large portion of walkway, break into stucco walls, and general construction noise, which I'm sure the full time resident would rather not hear.
JoanQ

06/27/2019 12:32 PM  
we are a well funded HOA, and have an amazing amount of money in the reserve fund. This Board and past Boards simply don't want to spend any money unless forced to. good point on homeowners insurance. Most are seasonal residents, and yes out of sight out of mind.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/27/2019 12:50 PM  
They asked the homeowners in your building if they’d be willing to pay and they said no? It figures – people ALWAYS kick the can down the road if they can get away with it. They figure they’ll be long gone by the time the dooky hits the fan – and it has, leaving current owners with the bill. As Melissa likes to say the HOA is you and your neighbors (although too many seem to operate with the “us vs. them” mindset), which is why those who serve on HOA boards need to know better and do better because they oversee the maintenance of the common areas.

Sometimes that means making decisions people don’t like – when I was on the board, my colleagues and I spent a lot of time explaining what was happening with the budget and people were always welcome to come up with another plan if they didn’t like ours. In this case, it would appear the board took the easy way out and the homeowners let them get away with it because it “kept costs down.” Ask them now how that’s working out - everyone's just going to have to suck this up and open their checkbooks. Hopefully, they'll learn from this.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

06/27/2019 1:10 PM  
I think if you pay one you have to pay all. We did a project where people could not access their units for 9 months. We had 3 full time residents and 21 that mostly used their places in the summer. The 21 did not want to pay the 3 to rent places when they could not use their places. I think it was unfortunate but fair that no one got compensated and everyone was in the same boat concerning usage regardless of their residence status. One of the full time residents threatened to sue us but never did.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

06/27/2019 1:10 PM  
I think if you pay one you have to pay all. We did a project where people could not access their units for 9 months. We had 3 full time residents and 21 that mostly used their places in the summer. The 21 did not want to pay the 3 to rent places when they could not use their places. I think it was unfortunate but fair that no one got compensated and everyone was in the same boat concerning usage regardless of their residence status. One of the full time residents threatened to sue us but never did.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/27/2019 4:46 PM  
How topical. Just watched the news and similar situation was on. Apparently last week a truck ran into a low power line at an apartment complex. Due to it laying so low, the Utilities department disconnected the power to the Apartments. Their policy is that they keep the power disconnected until repairs made and inspected. The Apartment management hasn't acted in a "timely" fashion and just got the whole place condemned. City was putting eviction notices on all the doors. Here in Alabama it gets VERY hot/humid. So the tenants are out of power for over 2 weeks till repairs are completed.

So be aware of this possible complication of a health/city shut down. It is a serious health concern when it involves an utilities outage. So take some additional steps like making sure water is turned off. I'd also suggest turning off lights, air condition units, water heaters, and other appliances. It's because when the power comes back it can surge or additional drain on electrical system. Imagine the A/C in multiple units trying to cool down 20 + degrees. The work load could blow fuses.

Personal note: I went through this. A tree limb fell on my electrical line. The utility company came and disconnected the power and rolled the wire up across the street! They told me it could not be reconnected until repairs were made. Had to get electrical system replaced. It took a week to hire someone. Spent 5 days with 4 dogs in 100+ degree heat. I had to make an ice bath for my dogs to cool down.

Insurance did kick in to cover some expenses. So I would consult insurance company to find out if this is covered under HOA or individual's coverage. My food was covered. Had to eat out everyday. The electrical repairs were covered. I had to pay the 1K deductible which covered the tree limb removal. I'd highly recommend staying in a hotel. So the HOA should put up the full time tenant. The fees should not be changed. Your still paying the same expenses during this time period. The HOA is to pay it's expenses. It's not like they are going away during that time. It's just going to be different. Believe me, the money not going to "normal use" will be going towards the "abnormal" use you all will see during this period.

Former HOA President
SamE2
(New Jersey)

06/28/2019 6:12 AM  
Why does the full time resident deserve compensation?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/28/2019 6:52 AM  
Define compensation. It doesn't have to be "money". It could be a hotel stay while work being done. I would not be against compensated a hotel room if it puts someone out of their home. Some people are not as fortunate as others to have a 2nd home to go to.

Don't think it's a welfare situation but one where you take care of your neighbors. The HOA has decided to do this work. It's going to have different impacts to different people. It just happens to be housing for this person. Others it is loss of use or other factors.

Former HOA President
AugustinD

06/28/2019 8:32 AM  
Posted By JoanQ on 06/27/2019 9:05 AM
Our HOA is being forced by the local power company to replace and repair electrical breaker boxes, wiring and meters (due to the HOA's negligence thru the past years). There are 5 units in this building. The power will be off between 10 and 14 days.

I would like more details. What does the power company claim was neglected? I know of no annual maintenance for either breaker boxes, wiring or meters.
JoanQ

06/28/2019 8:46 AM  
Yes compensation in the form of per diem and MIE for the full time resident who by no fault of their own will need to vacate for 7-14 days. The HOA has no choice, the power company will not replace the failed line until the outdated electrical is fixed. The HOA made a decision not to update this particular building back in 2009 because it was going to cost more to update.
JoanQ

06/28/2019 8:53 AM  
The HOA choose not to update the electrical in this building because it was going to cost more money. A line failed and the power company came out to fix. When they saw the meter/circuit boxes they said everything will need to be updated before they would replace the power line. We have hired a electrical contractor to update and work with the power company. But one of the unit owners is full time and will need to vacate for 10 to 14 days. This is a post about compensation for her in the form of per diem and MIE. And if anyone thinks that the other unit owners should receive some type of compensation for loss of use.
JoanQ

06/28/2019 8:54 AM  
compensation in the form of Per Diem and MIE. she has to vacate for 10-14 days because power will be off.
AugustinD

06/28/2019 9:19 AM  
Posted By JoanQ on 06/28/2019 8:53 AM
The HOA choose not to update the electrical in this building because it was going to cost more money. A line failed and the power company came out to fix. When they saw the meter/circuit boxes they said everything will need to be updated before they would replace the power line. We have hired a electrical contractor to update and work with the power company. But one of the unit owners is full time and will need to vacate for 10 to 14 days. This is a post about compensation for her in the form of per diem and MIE. And if anyone thinks that the other unit owners should receive some type of compensation for loss of use.

I am thinking like NpS here as follows:

-- Members and HOA alike should check with their respective insurers.

-- I do not consider the HOA making the lawful choice not to update to be any kind of negligence. I mean, what are the affected members going to argue? 'Dear HOA, you should have chosen to update back then. Yes, it would have taken about the same number of days as today to update back in 2009. Yes, the HOA made a lawful choice and for reasons of budgeting. Still, we are angry we are so inconvenienced. Please pay us per diem and for meals and incidentals. Sincerely, Residents of Building XYZ.'

-- I would be scouring the governing documents to see what they say on the point.

-- I wonder if Davis-Stirling statute says anything helpful.

-- The health of a reserve fund is not measured in absolute dollars. Typically it is measured in terms of a metric known as, "Percent Funded."

-- I grant that, under these circumstances, the HOA is legally somewhat akin to a landlord. The residents pay for the upkeep of the electrical system. When it breaks, the HOA needs to fix it. But the landlord aspect has to be balanced against the shareholder aspect.

-- Given that I think there was no negligence, I am not wild about the MIE. At most, and if the HOA does have to pay something, pay for the hotel?

-- Consulting with an attorney is likely worthwhile.
JoanQ

06/28/2019 9:39 AM  
thank you everyone for your input. The HOA has agreed to compensate by way of Per diem and MIE to the full time resident.
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/28/2019 11:22 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/28/2019 8:32 AM
Posted By JoanQ on 06/27/2019 9:05 AM
Our HOA is being forced by the local power company to replace and repair electrical breaker boxes, wiring and meters (due to the HOA's negligence thru the past years). There are 5 units in this building. The power will be off between 10 and 14 days.

I would like more details. What does the power company claim was neglected? I know of no annual maintenance for either breaker boxes, wiring or meters.

Ditto
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/28/2019 11:25 AM  
Posted By JoanQ on 06/28/2019 8:53 AM

How old is this building? Little of that makes sence. If the service was shot, that is an easy repair, even if the meter heads were also goners.

I don't understand how the wiring downstream of the meters could be so bad that the PUD would not heat the lines.
JoanQ

06/28/2019 11:45 AM  
the complex was built in 1957. we are not questioning the decision of the power company, electrical contractor or the HOA - this post was about compensation
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/28/2019 12:03 PM  
Posted By JoanQ on 06/28/2019 11:45 AM
the complex was built in 1957. we are not questioning the decision of the power company, electrical contractor or the HOA - this post was about compensation

Where does the CC&Rs state that compensation is required when a unit is not habitable? Why do the other units not get money? Why is a flashlight not sufficient?

This decision is being based on feelings.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/28/2019 2:21 PM  
Mark makes a great point. In addition, if you compensate this homeowner, you'll be setting a precedent that the Association may not be able to afford - and you already said you have an issue with Board members who don't want to spend money. Board members are also homeowners and I suspect there are other homeowners who may also feel this is unfair.

Don't get me wrong - it IS unfortunate she won't be in her home for nearly two weeks, but homeowner's insurance usually has coverage for this type of thing, as it can happen if there's a fire, tornado, etc. That's why people buy it - would you expect the HOA to cover living expenses in case of a flood it couldn't control?

To keep the costs under control, I suggest you set a cap on how much you'll comp for a room and per diem. Base it on the cost of living in your area so this lady won't be tempted to stay at the Ritz Carlton as opposed to a decent Holiday Inn. Or dine at Ruth Chris every night.
Better yet, the Board needs to establish a policy that will dictate when the association will compensate and budget for it accordingly. That will mean your assessments need to be adjusted.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/28/2019 3:29 PM  
Mark makes a great point. In addition, if you compensate this homeowner, you'll be setting a precedent that the Association may not be able to afford - and you already said you have an issue with Board members who don't want to spend money. Board members are also homeowners and I suspect there are other homeowners who may also feel this is unfair.

Don't get me wrong - it IS unfortunate she won't be in her home for nearly two weeks, but homeowner's insurance usually has coverage for this type of thing, as it can happen if there's a fire, tornado, etc. That's why people buy it - would you expect the HOA to cover living expenses in case of a flood it couldn't control?

To keep the costs under control, I suggest you set a cap on how much you'll comp for a room and per diem. Base it on the cost of living in your area so this lady won't be tempted to stay at the Ritz Carlton as opposed to a decent Holiday Inn. Or dine at Ruth Chris every night.
Better yet, the Board needs to establish a policy that will dictate when the association will compensate and budget for it accordingly. That will mean your assessments need to be adjusted.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/29/2019 9:39 AM  
Mark is exactly right. It's unfortunate but I think the association should not be responsible to provide any "compensation" unless it's specifically provided for in the governing documents.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/29/2019 9:50 AM  
Let me say this. Each HOA's culture is different. For me to say it's unfair to pay for one's hotel room who lives there full time a nd most inconvenienced is not for us to say. It's what that HOA/neighbors have to say. It is one of the reasons for the HOA and it's rules. It's to take care of our neighbors and neighborhood.

If the culture of this HOA is to agree to put up someone, then so be it. It's also up to this HOA to agree to any compensation needs they may want/need as a group. I personally think this is an individual insurance claim. However, it doesn't seem like this HOA wants to handle it that way. They want to take on the responsibility.

So your board and members need to decide how to handle this inconvenience the best way it wants. Compensate or not. The work still has to be done.

Former HOA President
JeffT2
(Iowa)

06/29/2019 10:01 AM  
I note that insurance companies will pay for a hotel during a construction project, so I'm guessing a hotel is part of court settlements that insurance companies try to follow.

To put it another way, if the owner sued the association, I think the court would order payment of a hotel as part of the construction costs to be paid by the association. Governing documents authorize maintenance as a common expense, and this is part of that.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/29/2019 10:20 AM  
Screw the culture. What do the documents say?
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/29/2019 10:24 AM  
Are the other units vacant? What would the HOA do if one of the owners just happened to decide they want to stay in their unit the two weeks the power is out? Will the association put them on a hotel?
JoanQ

06/29/2019 10:33 AM  
this community is a seasonal one - the majority of people are gone to the primary homes. There are 5 units in this particular building and only one full time resident. None of us are asking for any compensation, but feel that the full time resident should be compensated in the form of per diem and MIE. By no fault of her own she has to vacate because the power will be off. Our community is in the desert and temperatures during the electrical repair get into the 100's if not more. Part of our CCr's say no one can stay in a unit without the shareholder being present. So if she stayed in someone else's unit she would be in violation. She also has two cats and feels more comfortable in a hotel for that duration. The HOA agreed to pay per diem and MIE with receipts of course. Other shareholders have no problem with this. As far as homeowners insurance most are $500 - $1000 deductible, and I personally don't feel she should have to file a claim and get dinged because of a HOA electrical problem.
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/29/2019 10:38 AM  
How many units are in your association? Or is the building the entire association.

I don’t know why people keep on bringing up insurance, that has no bearing on anything and insurance would not pay any cost of this.
JoanQ

06/29/2019 10:44 AM  
100 total units. about 20 full time residents - other residents 4-5 months out of the year, including me who happens to be in the building where the electrical problem is.
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/29/2019 10:49 AM  
And a majority of the board agrees with this? I really have no idea why you are here asking questions. You receive multiple answers pointing out the potential pratfalls of what you are considering, and you seem to already have your mind made up. Are you here to ask a question or just receive the affirmation you crave?

Do what you want, none of us care.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/29/2019 10:59 AM  
Posted By MarkM31 on 06/29/2019 10:38 AM
How many units are in your association? Or is the building the entire association.

I don’t know why people keep on bringing up insurance, that has no bearing on anything and insurance would not pay any cost of this.

That may be true of your policy, but when I was in an apartment, part of the policy covered living expenses if something happened that wasn't my fault. I have the same coverage on my homeowner's policy, along with coverage for special assessments that exceed the deductible. You might want to talk to your agent.

That's the same situation here. Since Joan 's board has already decided to cover the homeowner, that part of the discussion is over, but I still say they need a policy to address similar situations in the future.

In fact, joan, why don't you run all this past the association's insurance? Maybe you already have some sort of coverage or can add it to your policy. The insurance and perhaps your association's attorney can help draft a policy in the meantime, the rest of you should talk to your own agents about coverage on individual policies.
JoanQ

06/29/2019 11:04 AM  
Dear MarkM31 - I originally asked a question regarding compensation - thought this was what this forum was all about. I received comments and some people had additional questions that I answered. In the meantime the HOA made the decision to compensate and if you would read one of my posts - I thanked everyone and posted the conclusion made by the HOA.

My question you is (and its a rhetorical one) why all the hostility??? You come off as a dickweed and I doubt if you speak for the forum as a whole when you wrote "none of us care"

bye Felicia or I mean MarkM31
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/29/2019 11:18 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 06/29/2019 10:59 AM
Posted By MarkM31 on 06/29/2019 10:38 AM

That may be true of your policy, but when I was in an apartment, part of the policy covered living expenses if something happened that wasn't my fault. I have the same coverage on my homeowner's policy, along with coverage for special assessments that exceed the deductible. You might want to talk to your agent.

That's the same situation here. Since Joan 's board has already decided to cover the homeowner, that part of the discussion is over, but I still say they need a policy to address similar situations in the future.

In fact, joan, why don't you run all this past the association's insurance? Maybe you already have some sort of coverage or can add it to your policy. The insurance and perhaps your association's attorney can help draft a policy in the meantime, the rest of you should talk to your own agents about coverage on individual policies.

Sorry, you’re wrong. Additional living expenses are only covered if one must vacate because of a covered event. Normal maintenance, however extreme is not an event covered by home owners insurance.

https://www.thebalance.com/claiming-additional-living-expenses-ale-coverage-4154070
MarkM31
(Washington)

07/01/2019 8:27 AM  
Posted By JoanQ on 06/29/2019 11:04 AM
Dear MarkM31 - I originally asked a question regarding compensation - thought this was what this forum was all about. I received comments and some people had additional questions that I answered. In the meantime the HOA made the decision to compensate and if you would read one of my posts - I thanked everyone and posted the conclusion made by the HOA.

My question you is (and its a rhetorical one) why all the hostility??? You come off as a dickweed and I doubt if you speak for the forum as a whole when you wrote "none of us care"

This is really common, people ask a question bout doing something that seems ill advised, and the OP only wants an answer to the question asked

Q
Hi everyone, I plan on parachuting off Yosemite National Park for my first time parachuting, with a parachute made from newspaper. What newspaper would be the best?

A
Newspaper are not a safe material for BASE jump suits

I didn't ask for your opinion about jumping or material, I only want to know which newspaper I should use

JoanQ

07/01/2019 8:43 AM  
please jump off using whatever newspaper you choose.
JoanQ

07/01/2019 8:44 AM  
oh and I would suggest you get the newspaper nice and wet before the jump
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/01/2019 4:02 PM  
Sometimes paying a one off is the best overall solution as long as noted that it is a one off.
MarkM31
(Washington)

07/02/2019 12:44 PM  
Joan has left the building, if anybody cares.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement