Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, July 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Neighbor sued HOA and emailed the whole HOA with a litigation update
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 7 << < 1234567 > >>
Author Messages
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/23/2019 10:47 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/23/2019 7:08 PM
I appreciate your insistence that you are knowledgeable. But this is the internet. This forum has seen no hard proof of what the issues are. It is not hard to scan court-filed, public documents and post them.

On this forum, there have only been a few occasions where I got the impression that the OP was intent on controlling the flow of information. Providing tidbits, but never really offering a comprehensive picture of what had occurred. Looking for confirmation, but not contradictory answers. Took a while to spot it, but made me uncomfortable.

This is one of those situations for me. I started by thinking that the OP was being played. But now I'm of the opinion that I've been played.

Many posts. Yet I still don't know what the underlying issue is that drove the Lawyer-owner to choose a lawsuit to resolve disputes with the HOA. Many assertions that there had to be merit, but no opportunity for us to judge for ourselves. Many requests for a link to the actual case. None forthcoming.

And now I learn that OP is a lawyer. Not someone who would need to rely on what a neighbor told him (as he said he did a couple of times), but someone who could easily rattle off a description of the counts in the lawsuit that was filed.

After all the postings, OP still wants an answer to the same question - Why is the BOD still resisting and why aren't they revealing their thinking.

I must admit that I set a little trap for you Paul. I wanted to see if you would come back with -- the Lawyer-owner is the client - It's his lawfirm that's the lawyer. And you did. That says a lot to me. Under the circumstances, the wall between the lawyer and his lawfirm seems laughable to me. But it's very consistent with someone who thinks that the HOA BOD should spill the beans or back down even if their lawyer says to remain silent. Especially so where the opponent is among the folks who would need to be notified - An issue that I identified but the OP chose not to respond to.

I will close with a story from my neighborhood, not for the OP, but for anyone else who might be interested.

2 high-end painting contractors live here. Neither has volunteered for anything in the 20+ years they've lived here. Every time we paint their houses is a nightmare.

One has a 5 month backlog of multi-million homes to paint. He has won the prize of finding more defects than anyone else on the jobs that the painters we hire do. And he is absolutely right. Our painters are not up to his standards. But surprise, surprise, our townhouses are not multi-million homes. It's not that our standards are inferior. It's that they are appropriate for our circumstances.

The other painting contractor stands and watches his house get painted. He instructs our painter's crew on what they're doing right and what's wrong. He gets them to give him a "spare" gallon on each of the 6 different paints and stains we use. He says that he'll use the "extra" paint to do over the things that he couldn't get our painter's crew to do right. He points out defects to his immediate neighbors who then complain themselves.

So here we have 2 experts. They know painting better than anyone else in the neighborhood. But, I must ask, do they have any sense for the damage they are doing? Should they be doing what they do?

Years ago, some of the neighbors said - We've got 2 great painters in the neighborhood. WHy don't we get them to paint. So the next time we went out to bid, we notified both. And the next time too. I wasn't surprised that neither one put in a bid either time.

Why not? They are the experts. They know better than anyone else. They can dance circles around any of us or any of the painters we hire.

I think it's because they aren't willing to step down to our standards. I think they know that they would never take a job for the prices we can afford to pay. I think they don't want to work in the community where they would have to answer to disgruntled owners.

If you don't see the analogy between painters and lawyers. That's ok. I see it plain as day. I have nothing against lawyers, but at the end of the day, they're just craftsmen plying their trade like any other profession.

In my neighborhood, I don't believe that my 2 painters have spent a moment thinking about what it takes to hold our community together. Same for the OP and the lawyer-owner he lives with in his community. They all can help if they wanted to. They all can cause harm when they want to. Sad to me how often they never seem to have time for the first, and can always justify the second. Nuff said.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
PaulJ6
(New York)

06/24/2019 2:29 AM  
Thanks, everyone. Particularly Augustin and NpS. I think I’ve gotten the feedback that I need.

Posting the court records online would give away the plaintiff and the HOA. I don’t think that’s a good idea.

NpS, I appreciate your feedback about the “no-contact rule”, but please note that the lawyer hired a separate law firm to pursue this matter. So the distinction between him and the firm are the same as for any law firm-client situation. The “no-contact” rule restricts communications by the firm he hired, but it doesn’t restrict communications by him. The fact that neighbor-lawyer is a lawyer is irrelevant, since he’s the client who hired a separate law firm.

Anyhow, thanks again, and “case closed”.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

06/24/2019 3:44 AM  
What's surprising is that no one called his bluff earlier.
PaulJ6
(New York)

06/24/2019 4:21 AM  
Again, thanks- particularly to NoS, Augustin, Melissa and John.

I don’t see many people in this board give their HOA community names out. People can. I just don’t think that’s a good idea

I also am seeing only one side of the story at my HOA since the board is silent. So I’m the first to declare that I don’t have the full story. Nor, as others have pointed out, have I shard everything- I’ve shared what I thought was relevant but I’ll concede that this isn’t the full picture.

Thanks again, everyone, for the feedback.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/24/2019 4:50 AM  
A HOA is incorporated. As a corporation, they are to reveal if they are involved in a lawsuit or not. Bigger corporations do this in the "Prospectus". They have to reveal any negative information effecting their bottom line besides the good. HOA's reveal this information on a PUD/HUD form. A 25 questionnaire filled out at some closings if FHA or other government like mortgages. (Other loan platforms are starting to get into this).

It's basically a form the HOA fills out as an "assessment" of the HOA. Seller's and Buyer's most likely never see or know this form exists at their closing. I did not know until had to go sign off on the form as President of our HOA. That form has questions on it like "Are you Fee simple? How many renters? How many liens/foreclosures? Is the HOA involved in any lawsuits?" This information is gathered and used as a "risk assessment".

This effects a few things. Too high of renters may cause FHA to not offer their loan program. Which then limits the mortgage options available. If your trying to refinance your home, the interest rate can go up based on this information. Your HOA may have less loan options available to it for potential buyers. Which may or may not be a good thing.

So the HOA should let the membership know about their involvement with a lawsuit. Doesn't mean to give out details of the lawsuit. The board can just say "A lawsuit has been filed against the HOA for Fraud. Our lawyer is handling it. We will keep you updated on status/expenses". People going to notice the expenditures.

It's hard to let this cat out of it's bag. The HOA most likely wants to hold this information close to it's chest. Not unusual or unexpected. Doesn't make the board less competent or trust worthy. They just don't want to create a panic or make the situation worse. Good luck.

Former HOA President
GenoS
(Florida)

06/24/2019 9:27 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 06/24/2019 4:21 AM
I don’t see many people in this board give their HOA community names out. People can. I just don’t think that’s a good idea

See Posting Rule #3. No community names allowed. In theory, anyway, sometimes they do get mentioned and I don't think there are any real consequences, but it is frowned upon.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/25/2019 5:07 PM  
It's frowned upon using names of HOA or individuals because it's not with their knowledge. Let's say your mad at your HOA but they didn't do anything wrong. It's pointed out in our advice. However, you have posted the name of your HOA or the name of the person you had issues with on a public type forum. Kind of can't take it back. Would you want someone posting your HOA name or your name without your knowledge or permission?

Sometimes someone here may be from your HOA. Do you want them to take it to your "Real life"? So it's best to keep it generic and keep some privacy. I don't even use my real name on here.

Former HOA President
MartyS5
(Georgia)

06/26/2019 1:55 PM  
Shame on the HOA. They need to follow and enforce the rules not only for homeowners but themselves. They are not above the law and it's costing the homeowners money. While unfortunate, many directors are not qualified to run a Board of Directors. They need to be experienced in Community Association law or have a firm or management company that is.
MartyS5
(Georgia)

06/26/2019 1:59 PM  
Shame on the HOA for not following the Covenants and Bylaws for themselves as well as homeowners. It is costing the HOA money and the Directors need to be removed. Unfortunately most volunteer Boards do not have Community Association Law backgrounds. In that case, I'd hire a firm or management company that does. And the lawyer should be encouraged to run for the Board and straighten out the mess.
MartyS5
(Georgia)

06/26/2019 1:59 PM  
Shame on the HOA for not following the Covenants and Bylaws for themselves as well as homeowners. It is costing the HOA money and the Directors need to be removed. Unfortunately most volunteer Boards do not have Community Association Law backgrounds. In that case, I'd hire a firm or management company that does. And the lawyer should be encouraged to run for the Board and straighten out the mess.
MartyS5
(Georgia)

06/26/2019 2:00 PM  
MartyS5
(Georgia)

MartyS5
(Georgia)

MartyS5
(Georgia)

MartyS5
(Georgia)

06/26/2019 2:02 PM  
MartyS5
(Georgia)

06/26/2019 2:03 PM  
MartyS5
(Georgia)

MartyS5
(Georgia)

MartyS5
(Georgia)

GenoS
(Florida)

06/26/2019 3:51 PM  
A dozen duplicates! When it's broke, it's broke. Apparently it still "remembers" how many times you hit "Submit" and everntually posts them all.

Don't sweat the dups, Marty, the site's software is lacking in many ways. You just happened to hit one of them.
GlenM5
(Tennessee)

06/27/2019 6:27 PM  
sounds like i could use him... whats his number lol
RoyalP

06/27/2019 7:18 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 06/26/2019 3:51 PM
A dozen duplicates! When it's broke, it's broke. Apparently it still "remembers" how many times you hit "Submit" and everntually posts them all.

Don't sweat the dups, Marty, the site's software is lacking in many ways. You just happened to hit one of them.

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

RoyalP

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 7 << < 1234567 > >>
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Neighbor sued HOA and emailed the whole HOA with a litigation update

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement