Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Short term rental problems cont'd
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CatF
(Michigan)

06/11/2019 6:03 PM  
I have posted a couple times about our inept board and one newer neighbor who has decided that the bylaws don't apply to him and has added rooms to his home in order to rent to SIXTEEN PLUS people on airbnb.com.

The BOD consulted a local small town attorney who said it was fine, even though 1) the membership voted years ago that STR's weren't allowed and 2) the bylaws specifically say they aren't. AND issued a threatening letter to the BOD if he isn't allowed to rent, they must purchase his home.

We paid for our own attorney who issued a letter with references and the opinion that STR's are NOT allowed according to the bylaws. He told us that the other attorney apparently hadn't read ALL of the bylaws, especially the parts where 1) accdg to twp and county deed restrictions property is for single family use, 2) bylaws state no renting under 30 days and 3) IF you rent, you must follow bylaw rules and twp regulations. Neither of which he does.
Twp. regulations state you must register, be inspected and approved to rent. Which he hasn't done.

He got himself on the BOD and refuses to recuse himself from any STR discussion or vote. Brought along two of his buddies (more new neighbors) to get them on the BOD as well. That vote is in August.

The BOD voted to "stop discussing the issue and grant him a waiver" at the last meeting.

Well, NOW there are THREE STR's on airbnb.com on our street. Yep, his two buddies did it as well.

NOW WHAT?? I'm seriously ready to move.
But I'm a fighter. And I need your experienced advice.

TimB4
(Virginia)

06/11/2019 6:20 PM  
Contact the township and let them know this is happening.

Typically, for rental restrictions to be enforceable, they need to be in the covenants and not the bylaws.
Are the restrictions only in the Bylaws or the Covenants?
CatF
(Michigan)

06/11/2019 6:36 PM  
We're in Michigan and there are no covenants, just bylaws.
The township went after the first guy, we're waiting to see what happens with that.
Otherwise, very small town and not many people care.
CatF
(Michigan)

06/11/2019 6:42 PM  
Oh and I almost forgot! The BOD also decided they would meet with each new potential home buyer to tell them that STRs aren't allowed.
Yeah, they did.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/12/2019 3:40 AM  
If your governing documents don't restrict short term rentals, then I don't see how the board has any authority to limit them. The next place to look would be local municipality laws, and it sounds like you've already done so. If that doesn't provide any relief...

...then your next step is to ask yourself how much you enjoy conflict and turmoil. Personally I have no appetite for such things, and I'd be looking at the likelihood of more sort term rentals, which will start to affect the desirability of the community and the value of my home. In my books that's a no brainer, but you may see it differently.
CatF
(Michigan)

06/12/2019 5:16 AM  
Absolutely agree with you!
The problem is, the attorney we spoke to said our bylaws restrict STRs under 30 days and these people don't CARE what they say. Plus, the bylaws have no fines on violating the bylaws.
I just don't get it.
CjC

06/12/2019 5:50 AM  
You could have the ability to sue your neighbor directly and not involve the HOA for violating the rules. If this limitation is spelled out directly, it is a contract not only between that Homeowner and the community, but between each neighbor. Take him to court for not following the rules that infringe on your enjoyment of the neighborhood.
ND
(PA)

06/12/2019 6:07 AM  
What CjC said . . .

Plus, I don't recall, CatF . . . are you on the BOD? You certainly know a lot of the fine details of what's going on in your 'hood and on your BOD. If not on the BOD, then you should be and you should do as this neighbor has done and get like-minded people to join you on the BOD. If you want something done (the way you want), you need to do it yourself.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/12/2019 8:47 AM  
Posted By CatF on 06/12/2019 5:16 AM
Absolutely agree with you!
The problem is, the attorney we spoke to said our bylaws restrict STRs under 30 days and these people don't CARE what they say. Plus, the bylaws have no fines on violating the bylaws.
I just don't get it.

Well, the bylaws wouldn't be expected to have anything in them regarding fines. That should be covered in one of the other governing documents, e.g. CC&Rs, Declaration of Covenants, Deed Restrictions, etc.
CatF
(Michigan)

06/12/2019 10:34 AM  
All we have are bylaws here in Michigan.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/12/2019 10:46 AM  
CAT

Governing docs must give the right to fine. The Association then has to have a Fining Schedule versus be capricious in fining.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/12/2019 6:12 PM  
Posted By CatF on 06/12/2019 10:34 AM
All we have are bylaws here in Michigan.

OK I'll take your word for it. That's usually why I stick to Florida discussions. Carry on & good luck!
CatF
(Michigan)

06/12/2019 6:20 PM  
Thanks John. For some bizarre reason, ours have no fining schedule at all.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Short term rental problems cont'd

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement