Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Stop landscapers from coming on my property
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DeeS6
(Florida)

06/10/2019 8:16 PM  
Looking for some direction.
Landscapers have continually killed my grass and the vendor won't take responsible and either will the HOA.
So if I replace my sod am I legally allowed to keep them off my property.

Thank you
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/10/2019 8:19 PM  
Who pays and is responsible for providing lawncare?

Former HOA President
DeeS6
(Florida)

06/10/2019 10:37 PM  
The monthly HOA dues pays for the Landscaping

Posted By MelissaP1 on 06/10/2019 8:19 PM
Who pays and is responsible for providing lawncare?

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/11/2019 4:04 AM  
Well then, you just have bad lawncare...

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/11/2019 4:34 AM  
Dee

Is it happening to others or only to you?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/11/2019 8:04 AM  
Do you know what's causing your grass to die? Is it a small part of the lawn or the entire thing? Can you prove the landscaper is responsible?

It was also suggested that you ask around to see if other neighbors have similar problems - if so, you may have a bad vendor, as Melissa said, and the board needs to know that, so it can either work with the vendor to resolve the matter or get another vendor.
CarolF
(Florida)

06/11/2019 8:23 AM  
Dee, if you are in Florida I am assuming that you have irrigation sprinklers watering
your lawn. Is it possible that the sprinkler heads are not covering the areas that
have turned brown?
GenoS
(Florida)

06/11/2019 12:58 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 06/11/2019 8:04 AM
It was also suggested that you ask around to see if other neighbors have similar problems - if so, you may have a bad vendor, as Melissa said, and the board needs to know that, so it can either work with the vendor to resolve the matter or get another vendor.

Or, as has happened here, they just ignore it.
BillH10
(Texas)

06/11/2019 1:57 PM  
The CC&Rs of the Association in which we reside require the association to provide basic front yard landscaping services: weekly mow, edge, clean up. Periodically the contractor provides other services stipulated in the Scope of Work: trim the bushes, put down mulch, bed cleaning, pre and post emergent, fire ant control, and one or two other services. Owners are responsible for new and replacement plants, bushes, sod, etc. The contractor also maintains the perimeter common areas and two small parks.

If an owner wishes to take care of their own property, they are free to do so with two stipulations: first, the appearance must be approximately the same as the contractor provided services, which means mowing and edging weekly, trim the bushes periodically, etc. The second stipulation is the quarterly assessment is not reduced if an owner does not use the association provided services.

It is entirely up to the property owner if they wish to do their own maintenance, about 3% do. The landscape contractor knows which properties he is not to maintain and his crews do not access the properties.

So, I would say if you do not wish to use the landscapers services provided, fine, but you should be prepared to pay the assessment for the services anyway and you must maintain your property as described in your CC&Rs and/or association rules.

You may be better served by calling in a landscape professional to see if he or she can determine the source of your problems.
KatharinaW
(Pennsylvania)

06/12/2019 11:53 AM  
My husband is very particular about his grass. He contacted the landscapers and asked them to skip our yard, as he will take care of it himself. They agreed and everyone is happy.

That being said, our board (which I am part of) does not mind neighbors skipping (we have a total of 5 I believe out of almost 200 Units) but it does not relieve you of any assessments due. Neither can you decrease what you are paying.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/12/2019 12:18 PM  
Our HOA does all landscaping including each homes front and side yards. We strive for a common look thus no one is allowed to modify/plant/cultivate, etc. anything in their front nor side yard. Backyards have a 6ft privacy fence around them and one is free to do anything in their backyard that does not exceed the height of the fence.

Out of 112 homes we have had only a few requests for an owner to maintain their own yard. We have turned down all requests as we want to maintain that common look. If someone wants to do additional work, such as weeding, we allow it but we want the same look.

We had an owner that overseeded with winter rye so during the winter his yard was green and he was cutting/trimming the grass himself. The only green yard out of 112 yards. We cited him and he has since stopped.
BillH10
(Texas)

06/12/2019 1:04 PM  
Katharine, it sounds like your situation is similar to ours.

John, we have some owners who desire the "same look" which has served this association well since the master association landscape guidelines were created in the late 80s although our sub-association dates to the mid-90s.

We are receiving an increased number of requests for variances for two reasons:

1. The "look" is dated. It happens with exterior paint and trim colors, roof colors, and now the landscaping. Owners wish to update to what they are seeing in new developments or which is recommended by the pros. My wife recently had our front area revised, we removed as many of the mandated bushes which look like large green golf balls as we could and used completely different plants than were previously used. It looks much better than before.

2. We are located in north Texas about 25 miles north and slightly east of downtown Dallas. We had a significant drought earlier in this decade which resulted in requests for drought tolerant landscaping and the ability to use more plants suitable to this climate.

It is a challenge. I had a discussion with a neighbor earlier this week who is on the Landscape Committee (I'm the board president). The Committee wishes to begin investigating what will be required to develop a new set of landscaping guidelines. I'm not certain we can do it alone even as an incorporated sub-association as some of the guidelines are promulgated by the master association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/12/2019 2:04 PM  
Bill

We are patio homes. 39 duplexes (side by side, single story) and 34 standalone patio homes (one and two story) with only about 20 feet between homes. Being this "tight" does require a common look. While not a retirement association, we do appeal to an older crowd that does not want to be bothered with yard work. We also do all exterior home shell maintenance thus more common look. These are the main reasons people (myself included) buy here.

We always hear that people are impressed with how good our neighborhood looks.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Stop landscapers from coming on my property

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement