Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: BOD meeting efficiency
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KatharinaW
(Pennsylvania)

06/04/2019 12:46 PM  
All,

I am fairly new on the board (Jan 2019) and have to say that the most eye opening experience thus far have not been complaining neighbors, but the inefficiency during the BOD meetings. We meet monthly (ByLaws state at least every 4 months, so happy its at least monthly) and alteration requests as well as violations are dealt with via email throughout the month. We recently had our first reserve study done and we definitely need to work on the finances. There has been a lot of other important things going on needing the boards attention, but the meetings are mainly focusing around one or two neighbors, rather than the community issues and someone always rails off topic and talks about something else, the past or their experience about it 25 years ago. Ugh.

I was wondering whether it may make sense to assign two board members or so to do research and prepare documents on certain topics (2 for the reserve study, 2 for storm water management, etc.) and then just assign 30 minutes during the meeting for those two to present what they found and a remediation plan to the board in total and then during the next meeting to vote on it.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? And if so, did it go as planned or not?

Thank you so much
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/04/2019 2:19 PM  
We often task BOD Members with projects. I am VP & Treasurer but I am also in charge of a landscaping issue we have going on with specific owners. I keep the BOD informed on the issue. No need for them wasting their time on it.
JimB37
(Florida)

06/04/2019 5:42 PM  
Inefficiency was a big issue for me as well, and so, like you, I decided to do something about it.

We also have our share of directors who, either by design, or they're just being themselves, will go off on some tangent and divert the discussion to something totally different. If you don't get things refocused quickly you lose time and those in the audience lose their patience. It's up to the President to conduct the meeting and keep things moving along. If this isn't happening, I will step in and attempt to get things back on track.

With respect to your projects not going anywhere, that is another responsibility of the President, but it can be caused due to lack of support by committee members, Chairpersons, or again, the President. Each of our meetings involves reports by each of the Chairpersons. Don't be afraid to ask questions and shed the light if things aren't getting done. Bring up with the President as well to let them know directors are watching.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/04/2019 6:38 PM  
Hi Katharina

A common problem for folks who don't have experience managing a meeting.

3 things have worked for us:

1. An agenda with a time limit on each item that is listed. Then stick to the time limits.

2. First thing on the agenda is the one most important issue. If you need to run over on time, other topics suffer, but not the most important issue.

3. Single issue meetings. Don't discuss anything else at the meeting.

These are all tools to channel the Board's attention on the most pressing issues. Ordinarily, this is the responsibility of the Pres, but if you want to take it on, then ask the Pres to delegate that responsibility to you.

No one likes the chaos. Maybe not right away, but when they see positive results, things tend to settle down.

Best of luck.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/04/2019 7:09 PM  
We would send background info ahead of the meeting for everyone to review so all that had to be done at the meeting was to ask if anyone had an issue or changes to make.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/04/2019 8:09 PM  
Set a meeting agenda and stick to it. You're on the board so if the meeting veers onto a tangent and you're supposed to be folowing Robert's Rules of Order, there's a special motion just for you.

"Mr. President, I call for the orders of the day."

It's a privileged motion and can be made even if it interrupts someone else who is speaking.
It doesn't need a second.
It's not debatable.
It can't be amended.

Whoever is running the meeting must return to the agenda immediately unless there's a 2/3 vote in favor of continuing along the tangent. Most boards, I think, only half-assedly follow Robert's Rules so if they blow it off at least you'll have made your point - that your time is valuable - and have some ammunition in the minutes for future reference.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > BOD meeting efficiency

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement