Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, September 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Reserve funds inconsistencies
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ShannonC5
(Illinois)

06/04/2019 11:16 AM  
Hello-
I recently closed on my home and received a packet of paid assessment letters along with the Illinois common interest community act. This states that as of may 2018 my association had reserve funds in the amount of $73,083.77 but when I received a copy of the 2018 proposed budget from my hoa management company it claims the reserve account has funds of $13,365. Can anyone provide insight as to why there would be such a large inconsistency?
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

06/04/2019 11:21 AM  
A budget usually states what anticipated income and expenses are for the budget year. That amount could represent the amount being transferred to the Reserves Account.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
ShannonC5
(Illinois)

06/04/2019 11:25 AM  
i See, how do I find out a total amount of the reserve funds? Do I need to contact the board for that?
AugustinD

06/04/2019 1:14 PM  
Shannon, is your HOA incorporated? Most likely it is. If it is incorporated, then it is subject to the Illinois General Not for Profit Corporation Act. In particular, this makes the HOA subject to the following:
"Any voting member shall have the right to examine, in person or by agent, at any reasonable time or times, the corporation's books and records of account and minutes, and to make extracts therefrom, but only for a proper purpose. In order to exercise this right, a voting member must make written demand upon the corporation, stating with particularity the records sought to be examined and the purpose therefore." -- From Section 107.75 of the Illinois Not for Profit Corporation Act.

All the laws that are likely applicable to your HOA are linked at
https://www.hopb.co/illinois

What is in the Reserve Account will vary throughout the year. It's possible you mis-read. A budget is very different from a balance statement. (I think it's your HOA's monthly balance statements that you should request, for the last 13 months or so.) It's possible some major infrastructure was recently replaced or repaired.

I would contact the HOA manager and ask something like, 'Is there a time I may review the monthly balance statements going back 13 months? When I bought here circa May 2018, the HOA disclosed that some $73,000 was in the Reserve Fund. I would like to know how this amount has changed since I purchased here. Alternatively, and if it is more convenient, I would welcome being emailed the monthly balance statements from the last year. Thank you'

If the manager won't give you an appointment or won't give you copies, report back here.
DavidW5
(North Carolina)

06/04/2019 1:37 PM  
The balance sheet should show the amount currently in the replacement reserve fund.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/04/2019 2:09 PM  
Shannon

Budgets are best guesses as to what income and expenses are to be incurred. They are not actuals. Typically the 2019 Budget will be presented in late 2018. One of the Budget Line Items will show how much is expected to be put in Reserves in 2019 but it will not show how much is presently there. As an example we have a General Reserve of $100K with our 2019 Budget shows us expecting to put $10K in there during 2019.

A Financial Statement will show actuals like money collected, money spent, amount in Reserves. Our above $100K only shows up in our Financial Statements which we prepare monthly. We do not distribute the monthlies unless asked for. We must present Year End Financials which we do at our Annual Meeting.

Budget...best guess forecast.
Actuals..real financial numbers.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Reserve funds inconsistencies

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement