Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Architectural Committee Design Standards
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NancyB17
(Florida)

06/04/2019 12:55 AM  
Can an HOA Architectural Committee choose to approve only Vinyl fences if the CC&Rs says vinyl or wooden fences are authorized? I've read the CC&Rs and it states under Standards for Review and Approval: "The Design Review Board shall have the right to refuse to give its approval to the placement, construction, installation of any improvement on properties which in its sole and absolute discretion deems to be unsuitable, unacceptable or inappropriate."

The above sounds pretty clear however, in the Florida statute 720.3035 it states:

"Neither the association nor any architectural , or other such similar committee of the association shall enforce any policy or restriction that is inconsistent with the rights and privileges of a parcel owner set forth in the declaration of covenants or other published guidelines and standards authorized by the declaration of covenants."

Thank you for any feedback!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/04/2019 6:38 AM  
Probably, but I would hope they would give a more substantial reason for the denial. For example, it may be the committee is now going with vinyl because it's more durable and easier to take care of than wood. Have you asked them? Is there an appeals process for denials - if so, use it.

As for the documents vs. the statutes, your CCRs say either wood or vinyl, so it would appear the statute would come into play if the committee was trying to do something completely outside the documents. You'd probably have to take the matter before a judge to determine if that something is appropriate or not.

AugustinD

06/04/2019 12:47 PM  
Posted By NancyB17 on 06/04/2019 12:55 AM
Can an HOA Architectural Committee choose to approve only Vinyl fences if the CC&Rs says vinyl or wooden fences are authorized?

Not lawfully, no. The part of the CC&Rs you quoted does not give the Architectural Committee carte blanche to change the covenants. The statute you quote supports this. So does case law. Furthermore, if there is an ambiguity, case law says the HOA must err on the side of a member's free enjoyment of the land.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/04/2019 1:59 PM  
Hi, Nancy, I think the part you quoted about "in its sole discretion" is way too vague. In Florida, courts are increasingly looking at such language as "not specific enough". An association can enforce architectural standards if they are more objective, specific, and in writing somewhere as the "official" standards of the association. "I looked at it and I didn't like it," isn't good enough.

With that said, since your CC&Rs say wood or vinyl - those are pretty specific - I don't think the board or any committee can countermand that and demand one or the other. I don't think any adopted guidelines or standards could overrule that choice either. The CC&Rs can always be amended but short of that, the owner has the choice.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/04/2019 2:11 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 06/04/2019 1:59 PM
Hi, Nancy, I think the part you quoted about "in its sole discretion" is way too vague. In Florida, courts are increasingly looking at such language as "not specific enough". An association can enforce architectural standards if they are more objective, specific, and in writing somewhere as the "official" standards of the association. "I looked at it and I didn't like it," isn't good enough.

With that said, since your CC&Rs say wood or vinyl - those are pretty specific - I don't think the board or any committee can countermand that and demand one or the other. I don't think any adopted guidelines or standards could overrule that choice either. The CC&Rs can always be amended but short of that, the owner has the choice.

Geno

We agree they cannot but I expect we might agree they often do.
NancyB17
(Florida)

06/05/2019 6:35 AM  
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated. Thought maybe I was missing something here as I kept drawing the same conclusion. So, being able to bounce it off some that are more familiar with HOA law than I was very helpful.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Architectural Committee Design Standards

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement