Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, September 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Living on a golf course blues (Sympathy anyone?)
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimB37
(Florida)

06/03/2019 3:38 PM  
The good side: During the Winter, the golfers are so bad I can collect enough for the year, so I don't have to buy balls any more. The downside, they not only hit my house, the longer hitters will hit so high and so left it sails over my house and into my vehicles on the driveway. I've got around $2500 damage to two vehicles. As for the house, I get it; it's "in the way" and it's going to get hit, and I continue to take measures to mitigate the abuse it takes such as superscreens and hurricane shutters covering the lanai. I don't have such options for my vehicles. The HOA says put them in the garage or take the abuse. I have no options to put into place barrier such as trees or netting.

I was curious as to the opinions of others on this. I think it is a reasonable expectation to be able to have vehicles in one's driveway without having to worry about them being damaged. If not, I should be afforded an opportunity to protect them, so long as any such solution would be aesthetically pleasing and in keeping with HOA standards. Any inquiry is met with "You live on golf course."

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughtful (and I'm sure a few snarky ones in this case) responses.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/03/2019 3:46 PM  
Jim
So they built the golf course after you moved there?
JimB37
(Florida)

06/03/2019 3:55 PM  
No. The golfers just got worse

Seriously, there was never any mention that my driveway would be in play and my vehicles as targets and that I could not take any measure to protect them. Not having lived on one before, how was I to know?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/03/2019 5:28 PM  
Who owns the golf course? The HOA or is it private? May need to take up the damage issues with the golf course. Could they do something to prevent the balls from flying out of their range?

What does your HOA say about planting of trees or other structures? Best to get approval first. I do have to say parking in your garage is the best option. Can say that parking in driveway or in the road is basically opening your vehicle to any element golf ball or not.

Former HOA President
JimB37
(Florida)

06/03/2019 8:30 PM  
Well, I have to do the right thing as I'm a director, and doing my own thing just wouldn't sit well. I'll take it up with my attorney. He knows HOA law. Perhaps he can learn about golf clubs as well.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Living on a golf course blues (Sympathy anyone?)

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement