Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Collecting Dues From Renters
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/03/2019 9:52 AM  
I believe there is a procedure for an HOA to collect dues direct from a renter if the owner has fallen behind in paying dues. Any information? Thanks
MarkM19
(Texas)

06/03/2019 10:24 AM  
John,
In my old Ca. documents it was under Assignment of Rents. I am no longer on that board or have access to the CC&Rs. As I remember if the owner fails to pay dues and a lien is filed the board can get legal paperwork and have the rent paid directly to the HOA until dues are made current.

I brought this to our Board and could not get enough support for us to follow through. I am wondering if anyone on the site has every been successful in collecting using this method.
MarkM19
(Texas)

06/03/2019 10:43 AM  
John,
I just checked my Texas Development and Declarations DADs which is our CC&Rs in Texas and I can not find anything mentioning "Assignment of Rents" so you probably need to see what yours have in them since it appears like it may be different by State.
RichardP13
(California)

06/03/2019 11:23 AM  
Below is what is placed in newer, restated CCRs in California

(k) Assignment of Rents.

(i) Assignment. In the event that an Owner(s), who is renting or leasing his/her/its Unit to a tenant(s), is more than thirty (30) days late in the payment of
any Assessment due with respect to that Unit, such Owner(s), pursuant to and subject to, Civil Code Section 2938, and any other applicable law, hereby assigns to the Association all of the rents due or which may become due from the lease or rental of the Unit until such time as the Assessments that are due with respect to that Unit are paid in full.

(ii) Procedure; Compliance with Governing Documents and Applicable Law. If the Association determines, in its sole discretion after proper notice and hearing pursuant to Section 14.06 below, to seek to receive rents as described in this subsection “(k),” the Association shall comply with, and undertake all actions required by, this
Declaration (and the Governing Documents) and the Association shall also comply with, and undertake all actions required by, applicable law, including, without limitation, Civil Code section 2938, as may be amended from time to time and any successor statutes.

Been there, Done that
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/03/2019 12:03 PM  
In this state, you have to sue the owner and if you win, you can ask the court to garnish the rent payments - the tenant would have to pay the association instead of the owner. However, some of the paperwork is sent to the tenant for his/her signature and then the collection can commence - if the papers aren't signed, for whatever reason, you're back at square 1, and if the tenant leaves because he/she has other issues with the landlord, you still get nowhere.

Even so, that may be an option worth trying - maybe there's something else the court can do to slap the owner if it becomes clear he/she is trying an end-run around a court order
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/03/2019 3:19 PM  
Sometimes the AOR collection process puts the tenant in a pickle.

On the one hand, here's someone he doesn't know who says that she has a right to collect the rent.
On the other hand, the landlord says I'm the landlord. If you don't pay me the money, you're out of here.

The tenant knows nothing about all this. Isn't even a party to the squabble.

The risk to the tenant is that if he makes the wrong choice and gives the rent to the wrong person, technically, the rent hasn't been paid. At the end of the day, could have to pay twice.

Rules are easy. Actual collection might not be.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/03/2019 5:15 PM  
I have heard that in Florida they have a law that the renter can pay dues if owner is in foreclosure status. Basically, the renter can pay what the landlord owes to prevent the house from going to foreclosure to the HOA. The renter can then possibly sue their landlord for that money.

Not from Florida but have seen others from Florida post that information.

Former HOA President
EdC5
(Florida)

06/04/2019 7:24 AM  
Melissa,

Not in foreclosure but in arrears.

Edward J Cooke, CMCA, LCAM
GenoS
(Florida)

06/04/2019 1:05 PM  
Florida allows it. If the renters don't make their rent payments directly to the association then the association gains legal status as a "landlord" and can evict the tenant.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Collecting Dues From Renters

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement