Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Can Architectural Committee force change to accepted plan
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/02/2019 12:08 PM  
We are a small HOA community in rural Colorado. All of the lots are built with wells and propane tanks. Some of the lots have their propane tanks buried and some are above ground. All lots were approved. We have a new Architectural Board that are proposing to change the CCRs to state that all above ground propane tanks be fenced so that they are not visible from the road.

Since the original above ground was approved without fencing, if the CCRs are changed, can existing above ground tank lots be forced to bring their tanks "up to code" or would CCR changes of this type be used to go forward?

Thanks!
MarkM31
(Washington)

06/02/2019 12:58 PM  
Posted By LarryE3 on 06/02/2019 12:08 PM
if the CCRs are changed, can existing above ground tank lots be forced to bring their tanks "up to code"

Probably not
AugustinD

06/02/2019 8:25 PM  
First I want to know: How many members are there? What percentage must vote in favor of an amendment to the CCRs for the amendment to pass? How many lots have above ground propane tanks without fencing?
LetA
(Nevada)

06/03/2019 5:27 AM  
Likely no, your HOA can't force you to burry your LP tank because it has a variance and would be grandfathered in. In addition CC&R's must be logical and benefit the community as a whole.
The cost alone to bury a LP tank must be significantly expensive. I can't fathom why some people would vote to increase their cost like that.
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/05/2019 5:47 AM  
Hi Augustine,

We are a small community of 16 homes with 3 lots still yet to build. Of the remaining 13 homes, only 3 have above ground tanks. It takes 2/3 approval to change our CCRs
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/05/2019 5:47 AM  
Hi Augustine,

We are a small community of 16 homes with 3 lots still yet to build. Of the remaining 13 homes, only 3 have above ground tanks. It takes 2/3 approval to change our CCRs
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/05/2019 5:48 AM  
Thanks all. Annual meeting this Saturday. Will see what their intent is. Our president thinks it is only for going forward.
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/05/2019 5:48 AM  
Thanks all. Annual meeting this Saturday. Will see what their intent is. Our president thinks it is only for going forward.
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/05/2019 5:59 AM  
Hi Let,

The change is to fence the tank, not bury it. Thanks!
AugustinD

06/05/2019 6:38 AM  
Hi Larry, thanks for the info. Is your HOA still under Declarant (developer) control? If so, then check your CC&Rs and see if the Declarant is allowed to make changes to the CC&Rs without a members' vote. Often CC&Rs give the Declarant a lot of leeway on issues like this, so the Declarant can sell the as-yet-unsold lots. Although if your HOA is still under Declarant control, and I had bought a lot with an above-ground propane tank, I'd ask the Declarant to pay for the fence.
LarryE3
(Colorado)

06/16/2019 8:04 AM  
Hi Augustin,
We are no longer under Declarant control. The committee members are new (all of which have buried their tanks) Hmmm???
They are also asking that the CCRs be changed to enforce a "bury or fence" policy. I was under the impression that
CCR changes are forward looking and current properties would be grandfathered.
[email protected]
AugustinD

06/16/2019 9:33 AM  
Larry, if at least 11 members ( = 2/3rds +) voted for the amendment to be passed, and push came to shove and this landed in court, I think it is hard to say which side would prevail. No hard fast rule exists for when an amendment, properly passed by the membership, is unlawful. Each case is unique.

I believe the reality is the cost of either the HOA or the three members fighting this in court would likely exceed the cost of either side just paying for the fences, with lots of ugliness and hard feelings on both sides. I think a thoughtful approach is needed. I suggest the HOA offer to pay for the fencing (that is, 16 members chip in for the needs of three members, who arguably were a tad shortchanged by the developer). Subsequently the member has to be responsible for maintenance and replacement (when needed) of the fence.

Do you have any idea what type of fencing the people (who want the fences) are thinking of? Could it be something as inexpensive (but in the countryside, attractive?) as coyote fencing? Has anyone estimated the costs of a few types of fencing that seem like it might be attractive?

Any amendment put on a ballot should be pretty precise about the type of fencing used and whether, when replacement is needed, the new fencing must be approved by your HOA's architectural board. Of course, if the lots are far apart, maybe a lot of leeway should be granted with regards to the type of fencing.

You all are in rural Colorado. Chances are good people bought lots there so that they would have freedom to do as they wanted. I'd try not to ruffle feathers, I would try not to be, ya know, dictator-like.

Here is a touch of general guidance on grandfathering: https://www.hoaleader.com/public/558.cfm
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Can Architectural Committee force change to accepted plan

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement