Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, September 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Software
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimB37
(Florida)

06/01/2019 4:30 PM  
I'm researching hosted HOA solutions. Seeing pricing all over the place. If any of you have done similar research, or are currently using a system I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/02/2019 6:40 AM  
What functions of software do you specifically do you want to accomplish?

i.e database, spreadsheet, assessment tracker? many functions of self managed HOA'a can be accomplished just using Excel.

I would find an Excel administrator in your area to design a few templates for you. This could save your HOA a lot of money on annual software licensing fees.
JimB37
(Florida)

06/02/2019 11:52 AM  
LetA,

Unfortunately, no. I'm not looking for Excel. Apologies for not being clearer and wasting your time.

Like many other HOA's out there, we suffer from some common problems: records/documents are scattered everywhere and not properly archived, difficulty in having directors and committees collaborate, delay in having records available for requests, membership not having an easy way to participate in suggestions or violation notifications.

I realize there are packages out there that are heavier on the accounting functions, but my sense is that our treasurer has all that under control. However, if she had easier access to historical information, it would make things easier and she is excited about the possibility of "going to the cloud".

I understand there are more than a few packages out there, ranging from "free" to costing so much per month that I would also expect the thing to also take care of our common area maintenance. My question is not about a specific package, but rather if you've had a similar experience of looking for a package, or if you already have a solution, what are your thoughts relative to getting one in the first place or how do you feel about the one you have (or use if you aren't on a Board and you use a member portal).

I'm getting ready to kick the tires on some that I've seen and was curious as to what all of you had experienced.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/02/2019 11:56 AM  
Specifics about companies are against the posting rules.

You may want to check out past threads (but please don't reactivate them):

Search results for "software" on this forum

JimB37
(Florida)

06/02/2019 12:07 PM  
You will notice that no vendor was mentioned, nor was such a request made. So I will assume that your comment was meant for potential respondents. Also, aside from scrolling and scrolling, how does one search?
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/02/2019 2:01 PM  
Posted By JimB37 on 06/02/2019 12:07 PM
You will notice that no vendor was mentioned, nor was such a request made. So I will assume that your comment was meant for potential respondents. Also, aside from scrolling and scrolling, how does one search?

I provided some search results for you via the link in my earlier post.

Two ways to search this site:

1) click on the search icon (magnifying glass with the words search) located below the yellow banner.

2) Perform an internet search that include the word "site:www.hoatalk.com" in it.

Example: software site:www.hoatalk.com
JimB37
(Florida)

06/02/2019 3:18 PM  
Great! Thank you. I don't care if I get a single bit of information on software. I now know how to search. Again, thank you.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

06/03/2019 7:39 PM  
Remember.... your a volunteer......and may setup this complicated software, configure it to your specific HOA, update it, etc and the next person voted into office simply ignores it all.

Doesn't matter how good the software is.... it matters how good the volunteer is.
JimB37
(Florida)

06/03/2019 8:27 PM  
I had not considered that, but that's true. Should that happen, and I'm off the Board, then they will have to listen to **** in their ear for the entire time around, and I'm not going anywhere soon. That's in addition to having to deal with me writing letters to the state claiming that they were not adhering to their fiduciary responsibilities.

Great point. Thank you.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/03/2019 11:39 PM  
Posted By JimB37 on 06/03/2019 8:27 PM
I had not considered that, but that's true. Should that happen, and I'm off the Board, then they will have to listen to **** in their ear for the entire time around, and I'm not going anywhere soon. That's in addition to having to deal with me writing letters to the state claiming that they were not adhering to their fiduciary responsibilities.

Great point. Thank you.

What happens when you get hit by a bus? None of us know how long we're going to be here. If you don't have someone to back you up, then maybe you're the one who messed up on your fiduciary responsibilities.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
JimB37
(Florida)

06/04/2019 5:20 AM  
Let me see if I understand you correctly: You're saying that if someone comes afterwards and chooses not to utilize a system that improves disaster preparedness (which does not presently exist), makes it easier for directors to collaborate between themselves and committee members, improves transparency and accountability, along with a host of other positive benefits, all for an affordable price which is approved of by membership, you're saying it's all because I failed in MY fiduciary responsibility?
JimB37
(Florida)

06/04/2019 5:20 AM  
Let me see if I understand you correctly: You're saying that if someone comes afterwards and chooses not to utilize a system that improves disaster preparedness (which does not presently exist), makes it easier for directors to collaborate between themselves and committee members, improves transparency and accountability, along with a host of other positive benefits, all for an affordable price which is approved of by membership, you're saying it's all because I failed in MY fiduciary responsibility?
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/04/2019 5:45 AM  
Not at all.

I'm saying that it's in the best interest of your community for you to establish a transition plan that someone else knows about in advance and can carry on if you're incapacitated in some way.

If you created something good for your community, I applaud you. If you haven't trained someone to take over in your absence, then would that be good for your community?

JimB37
(Florida)

06/04/2019 6:32 AM  
Apologies for the misunderstanding. If I am lead on this project, it is indeed my responsibility to ensure that someone else knows how to run things. Unfortunately, there is that possibility that those that follow may not agree and just let it die on the vine. I'm dealing with a similar result now, where those that have come since, did not have the same due diligence and care as those before them. Perhaps we can prevent history from repeating itself.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

06/04/2019 8:11 AM  
Posted By JimB37 on 06/04/2019 6:32 AM
Apologies for the misunderstanding. If I am lead on this project, it is indeed my responsibility to ensure that someone else knows how to run things. Unfortunately, there is that possibility that those that follow may not agree and just let it die on the vine. I'm dealing with a similar result now, where those that have come since, did not have the same due diligence and care as those before them. Perhaps we can prevent history from repeating itself.

Ahh, a not so uncommon problem. Many stay involved longer than they want just to avoid such an outcome. No one will care about the things you created as much as you do.
My solution was to resign from the Board and offer to continue working on my pet projects. My offer was gladly accepted. I still make noise when I see something going off course, but I've also come to grips with the fact that I no longer have a vote. Actually, I'm much happier now.

RichardP13

06/04/2019 8:27 AM  
If you self manage your community but want HOA specific software, I would suggest using a company to handle your association on a limited basis, which will come with a reduced price tag.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/04/2019 8:59 AM  
There are software solutions for self managed HOAs - a couple of the larger management companies have proprietary software but the most of them license software that is just as available to self-managed associations. And at least one management company licenses a version of the proprietary software for others companies or HOAs to use.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/04/2019 1:07 PM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 06/03/2019 7:39 PM
Remember.... your a volunteer......and may setup this complicated software, configure it to your specific HOA, update it, etc and the next person voted into office simply ignores it all.

Doesn't matter how good the software is.... it matters how good the volunteer is.

Bingo.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement